Sunday, December 30, 2007

I HAVE MUCH TO BE THANKFUL FOR



Our daughters are leaving today, Jennifer back to San Juan, who's been here nearly two months, to take care of her mama, and Julie, to Tampa, who's come as often as her school-teaching job would allow.


Christmas week was a joy having them all with us and their children. It was hurry, scurry, and lots of Christmas activities, and nine of us around the dining room table at mealtimes, with just-turned-two-year-old Lorenzo clamoring for his food, and three-year-old Claudia punching her Ariel necklace repeatedly making Ariel sing the movie theme song, and five-year-old Nicholas and eight-year-old Alexander eating fast, and being noisy and wiggly, so they couldto get back to their Christmas toys.


Picture: Julie and Jennifer and me enterting the cancer center for my daily radiation treatments.


***


Julie went to work out at a gym one morning and took the Body Combat class. "Mom," she said, with tears welling in her eyes and then running down her face, "with every punch and kick and jab I made, I was saying in my heart, 'Go, brain tumor. Get out of here. Get out of my mom. Leave. Take that. And that. And that.'"


***


Even though I have GBM brain cancer, I have much to be thankful for. My daughters have been with me, and my family from all over the Southeast. Our wonderful, supportive, loving, caring congregation has surrounded me with prayers, love, and with The World's Best Food at mealtimes--since early November. I'm so humbled, and so thankful.


Tears flow when I think of God's goodness to me.


Like Deborah Kerr's character in the classic movie An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant, I always cry at beauty.


8 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

Your daughters are lovely : )

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

Such a beautiful post, Kristy. You're an inspiration to so many.

Kind regards,
DayleShockley

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger nannykim said...

you do have many blessings!

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy,
What a blessing that you have had your daughters and grandkids with you over the holidays. I am so glad to hear your church continues to send meals and allow you to save your energy for what is most important. I am thinking of you today and praying there are many more blessings ahead for you in the new year.

As I was thinking of you and Milton, the Lord brought these verses to mind: "God is not unjust; He will not forget your work and the love you have shown Him as you have helped his people and continue to help them." Hebrews 6:10

God is faithful. He will a reward for your faithful love and service. Some of that reward you have already experienced, and some is yet to come.
Love and prayers,
Carrie

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Milton and Kristy,

Although I was away from the internet over Christmas week, you have remained in my prayers.

Catching up on your blogs this verse came to mind...

"Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." Isa 46:4

He will never let you go.

Praying for you and your family.

In Christ's Love,

Lisa Buffaloe

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I'm like you, I cry at beauty.

And I can agree with the words, "It ain't over till He says it's over."

My daddy lived 30 years with prostate cancer. Kept coming back. He also reversed heart trouble in that time. Plus he stopped his macular degeneration. The docs were flabbergasted. But Daddy was busy doing God's work.

He went home at the ripe age of 89 right after Mama did.

God is still in the miracle business. After all - He's the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Praying as always.

Funny, everytime I pray for you, I'm filled with love. God's love for you overflowing into the prayer warriors.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Kristy, you are such an inspiration to everyone who knows you! Praying for you, dear friend!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

You have all made me cry. Remember, I cry at beauty.

Diann Hunt, just wanted you to know, when Colleen posted on your blog about your lung surgery, I sent the prettiest get well card to you at the hospital. But it came back to me. Phooey. I wanted you to know during your time of surgery and recovery that I was praying for you, dear one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home