Thursday, January 31, 2008

COPING WITH SETBACKS

Milton, here:


Yesterday was a tough day for Kristy. She awakened early Wednesday around 3 AM with severe pain in her head and body. She suffered for three hours or so before she could get any relief. Thankfully she did not suffer anymore through the day.




She had an eye doctor's appointment with a field vision test that revealed major vision loss. The doctor said that this loss was due to tumor activity. She has also experienced some slowness in formulating her thoughts and talking--though not major.


This has been difficult to face, but God is our helper.


I have chosen to convey how the Lord is helping us through the words written by our youngest daughter, Jennifer, who posted the following on her blogspot late Wednesdy afternoon.


WHEN THERE ARE NO WORDS


Today I got the news my mother has lost more vision. With this news comes the worst thoughts...


As I listened to what first my mom and then dad had to say on the phone, all I could respond with was, silence. Several times they had to ask if I was still there. I would assure them I was and could only say "I just don't have any words." There are no words to express the grief, sorrow, pain, or fear. Only silence.


I decided today was the day to listen to the cd of the sermon my uncle Ronnie preached the Sunday after my mother's surgery. The day her life hung in balance. My mother mailed me a copy and I'd been waiting for the perfect time to sit down and listen.As my son slept in his car seat, I sat in the car and listened. It was a wonderful, faith filled sermon. Absolutely marvelous.

In his sermon he spoke on Psalms 77. It starts out with the psalmist crying out to God with no evidence that God was responding. Then in the 10th verse he changes and remembers what the Lord has done in the past. I finished listening to the cd and carried my son upstairs to my apartment.


Out of my silence, somewhere deep inside my soul started pouring forth praises. It was all that would come out of my mouth. I could only speak forth how perfect, how fair, how just, how wonderful my God is. How true His Word is.


And then I felt a strong pull to get my Bible out. I kind of fought that thought, as I had a lot of housework to do but the urge wouldn't let go so I got out my Bible and set it on the kitchen counter.As soon as I set my Bible down, the passing thought came to me "what should I read?"


Before that thought could even be completed, a strong wind blew in from my kitchen window that faces the beautiful Caribbean ocean. The wind quickly caught the pages in my Bible and before I could grab hold the pages settled down.There in front of me was the 77th Psalm. The words jumped out off the pages and I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I couldn't believe the Lord had opened my Bible right to the same psalm my uncle read in his sermon!I got to crying and laughing!


I stood there laughing up a storm! I grabbed hold of my Bible and started shouting out that psalm! I probably read it out loud 10 times. Each time I read it the Word soaked into my soul and revived me. It brought life to me and victory. I stood there laughing, thinking every time I hear bad news, the Lord reaches out to me and with clear, direct signs I get the news of the Lord and it's victory and life!


Psalm 77


1 I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me.


2 When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; at night I stretched out untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted.


3 I remembered you, O God, and I groaned; I mused, and my spirit grew faint. Selah


4 You kept my eyes from closing; I was too troubled to speak.


5 I thought about the former days, the years of long ago;


6 I remembered my songs in the night. My heart mused and my spirit inquired:


7 "Will the Lord reject forever? Will he never show his favor again?


8 Has his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time?


9 Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion?" Selah


10 Then I thought, "To this I will appeal: the years of the right hand of the Most High."


11 I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.


12 I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds.


13 Your ways, O God, are holy. What god is so great as our God?


14 You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples.
15 With your mighty arm you redeemed your people, the descendants of Jacob and Joseph. Selah


16 The waters saw you, O God, the waters saw you and writhed; the very depths were convulsed.


17 The clouds poured down water, the skies resounded with thunder; your arrows flashed back and forth.


18 Your thunder was heard in the whirlwind, your lightning lit up the world; the earth trembled and quaked.


19 Your path led through the sea, your way through the mighty waters, though your footprints were not seen.


20 You led your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

13 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger Richard L. Mabry, MD said...

We continue to pray for you all.

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy and Pastor Dykes we continue to pray for you and for your family. God is good!

The Jones/Camden family

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

Still praying. (((HUGS)))

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Lauralee Bliss said...

Much love to you all. Thought of you and Prayed for you this AM in my time with God.

Lauralee Bliss

Fellow Heartsong Author

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so sad to hear of the pain you are experiencing. There truly are no words. Our comfort is in knowing that God loves you. It is in that knowing that peace comes. If our weak human minds could only grasp the depth of His love for us, we would never worry. The All Wise, All Knowing, All Powerful, Ever Present God loves us and He does all things well!!!
Please know in this difficult time in your lives, we are among the thousands who continue to hold up your arms through our prayers. We are truly so sorry and we care!

Believing in Your Miracle,
Aldin and Debbie Tinsley

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

I continue to pray for you and your family. I can't say if this means anything, but I was praying at the tumor and visualizing it (the tumor), when I saw Jesus reach his hand in and take hold of it. I expected him to squish it in his hand or do something forcible to it. Instead, it just evaporated and was gone. It was very gentle. I'm actually afraid to say it was from God, but it was not along the lines that I was praying. In any case, I'm going to claim it for you since I know that it is the nature of Jesus and he doesn't battle with illness like we do. As I've asked Him what it means, I believe he has spoken that when he heals it will be gentle and instantaneous.

Daddy God, help me and others to come before your throne boldly asking and believing for your healing for Kristy. I don't want to shrink back because I'm afraid you won't heal this time, I want to be a fool for you and keep believing that you can and will do what man says is impossible. Lord, help my unbelief. I know you heal. I've seen you heal. As Kristy's daughter posted in the Psalm, I will remember your healings, both personal and for others. I will remember your miracles, from the Bible, from testimony, and from personal experience. I will not grow faint and shrink back from petitioning your throne. You love your daughter Kristy and you love all of us and it is your good pleasure to care for us. I pray for the battle going on for Kristy's health right now. I pray that your angels will rise up and destroy the enemy that wants to feed this cancer. I pray for full restoration of sight, of memory, and everything else that has been robbed from my sister, in the name of Jesus, I command this cancer to cease and desist and submit to Jesus, our healer. Amen

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger GloreyBHere said...

hi, The Lord brought this psalm to mind within the past few weeks...if you would like to e-mail me, I would love to send you the message He has put on my heart. If it would be a blessing and an encouragement to you I would be honored to share it with you. My email is bwhereyouare@gmail.com - my name is Gloria

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger THOMBU1 said...

Such amazing Grace! Now that is what I call God speaking through His word. I am standing on that Word for your Mother. tom

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy and Milton,
I'm thinking of you this evening and praying for God's grace and comfort to surround you. Thanks for sharing this wonderful Psalm with us. As we focus our hearts on what is true today and how God has worked in the past, our faith increases. He is a great God who can do even more than we can ask or think.

Love and prayers,
Carrie

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God cares, and He holds your family in the palm of His hands.

May the peace that surpasses all understanding guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus. (Phil 4)

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kristy and Milton,

Today I heard something on television that to me was so profound, that I wanted to share it with you.

The young football player who was injured about 5 months ago while playing was told at the time that he probably would never walk. The doctor was not at all encouraging as to his recovery. He,however, has almost totally recovered and is walking tall and straight without the aid of crutches. The thing that amazed me was what the football player who had run into this young man said. He said "Some people call this a miracle, but I say it was just God doing what God does." God doing what God does. Isn't that a wonderful way to confess God's mercies? I know Milton that you probably know the names of these young men. Anyway we're still praying for God to do what He does.Love, cuz Anita

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Story and Logic Media Group said...

Kristy and Milton your posts are so encouraging and uplifting. Kristy you knew the last days of the treatment would be worse and now the treatments are past. Praise God. We wait on Him.

Blessings~~Sharon

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger One Mother with Cancer said...

Your family are always in my thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home