Saturday, January 12, 2008

"WIGGING" AND "BIRDING"





























"I saw your picture among the trees a few days ago. The thought came to me if your hair is falling out, then you should scatter it near the trees in the yard and let the birds make nests with it. I can just see that bright red hair padding little eggs and bringing them joy. God bless.
--Rebecca Germany, Senior Fiction Editor, Barbour Publishing






***
No need for the wigs, yet, though I'm prepared. The American Cancer Society gave me two. One is a Raquel Welch brand. My friend Ann models it for me, above. This auburn wig is long and flowing. Haha. For you younguns' reading this, Raquel Welch was a hottie in show biz in the 70s or 80s.
***
Sue, a wig expert from Jean's Hair Systems and Wig Shop, thinned, trimmed, and styled one of my wigs. She's the blonde, pictured above, on the left. I'm good to go!
***
Following a pleasant lunch with Sandra B., daughter Julie even got in on the "wigging." We giggled as she tried them on, right alongside me.
There's just something about a woman in a wig shop. You can't resist plopping one on your head. Or three or four. Red. Blonde. Mahogany. Platinum. Brunette. Highlighted.
***
As Julie drove me home from our "wigging" adventure, we saw a big ball of burgundy in the road. "Mom," she exclaimed as we got closer. "It's a wig!"
It really was a wig, and we laughed our heads off.

11 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy, I am so glad to know that the cancer society provides folks with wigs. What a great thing to do. Even though you made it fun,(what woman can resist?) I hope you get to keep enough of your own locks that you won't need the wigs. Glad to hear that your daughter did not commit a wig-o-cide on the way home. ;)

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Hi, Conisong--

I have 10 more radiation treatments (out of 30), so I don't know how much more hair I'll lose. It's very thin on the whole back of my head, and when I lift up my hair, there are bald spots throughout.

You are a scream. "Glad to hear that your daughter did not commit a wig-o-cide..." You made me laugh!

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

Kristy, your pics reminded me of when several of us accompanied our friend to a wig shop to get a wig for her when she developed ovarian cancer. We didn't realize the American Cancer Society will provide wigs, although her health insurance picked up the tab. Good thing we went. My ever-alway frugal friend wanted to get the cheapest one and it looked like the cheapest one.LOL

Yours looks great. Even if you never lose enough hair to need it, you can still enjoy when you want to change your look!

If it were me, I'd be in a wig by now my hair is so thin.

Prayers always!

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy,
That's great to hear you are 2/3 of the way through the radiation treatments. Yea! I am glad you and your daughter found some things to laugh about on your wig-shopping trip. A merry heart is like medicine. Wig or no wig...your beauty sines through.
Love and prayers,
Carrie

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I love Becky's idea of puttin gyour pretty hair out for the birds to take for nests! I can' jsut see the bright red sticking out from among the twigs. What a great giggle in the Spring!

Praying as always.

Love you, redheaded friend.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger The Imaginary Blog said...

I'm so glad you followed up on Becky's idea. It's a wonderfully symbolic thing!

Stay strong!

JanetS

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger SHARLENE said...

Oh, Kristy, your blog made me smile. Wigs are "in", by the way. This Christmas, my niece showed up for our family celebration in an adorable wig. She was the hit of the day b/c not only is she already cute and spunky, but this wig just added an extra spark to her eyes, her face, her smile. Everything. I'm not kidding. All of us girls gathered around and simply oohed and ahhed over it. We're like..."I want one!"

I just love your vitality, Kristy. You've taught so many of how to live for today.

Many hugs, prayers, and blessings,
Shar

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger SRI said...

I love wigs. Feeling sassy? Then pop on a blonde one, studious? then how about a Velma from Scooby-doo wig?

I have a friend who has Alopecia and has several for all her different moods. She's such a laugh.

Glad you're doing great.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Rose McCauley said...

Dear Kristy, enjoyed reading about your "Wiggy" adventures! It sounds like you are continuing to "enjoy life to the full" as God's Word tells us to. And great news that you are 2/3 of the way thru your radiation treatments. We'll all be praying and counting down the days with you. love and prayers, rose

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger THOMBU1 said...

Every hair is numbered and our Lord knows them all. He is the restorer and Redeemer. I have been sufferingf from a very severe shoulder pain for the last few days and haven't been able to type, but I wanted to let you know, my prayers and thoughts are with you and Milton. Thnaks for sharing your unwavering faith with all of us, and for reminding us that we should never give up, but continue to trust in our Dear Fathers care. tom

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thank you, Rose, dear writer friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home