Friday, January 11, 2008

A COMMANDMENT WITH A PROMISE






Dear Kristy,


As I was praying for you early this morning, I found myself claiming a wonderful promise in God’s Word that is connected with the fifth commandment. In fact, according to Ephesians 6:2, it is the “first commandment with a promise.” The promise is, "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth," and the commandment is, “Honor your father and mother.”



Kristy, I have never known anyone who fulfilled that commandment as well as you. In so many ways you honored our mother and our father. In fact, you delighted in honoring them. Among other things, you honored Mother by nominating her for the Henrietta Mears Sunday School Teacher of the Year Contest, and she was No. 5 in the nation! You have spoken of her in your talks and written about her in your articles, always praising her.



After she died, you were the primary caregiver for Daddy, always going the second and third mile (literally!), lifting his wheel chair in and out of the trunk, to take him to the doctor or to lunch or to Wal-mart. And you were with him when he died.

God promised “long life on the earth” for those who do what you have done, and I am asking Him to fulfill that promise for you. It’s not that I am trying to use His word to “force” Him to do what I want. I am merely laying hold of His willingness, what I believe He wants to do, from what I see in His word! I believe He wants to—delights to—heal you. And I believe we honor His word when we stand on it in simple faith.



I love you. Terry


***


Group photos: my siblings and parents. We're a Southern family and have a Bubba and a Nana.
Top photo on the right: brother Terry and wife Sandra. He wrote this note.









9 Comments:

At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Terry! This is a wonderful tribute to your family and our daughter-in-law, Kristy. I has been my privilege to be acquainted with this wonderful family and you tell it exactly right.

God bless each and every one of you and heal Kristy.

Our love,

Granddaddy Dykes

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Dad Dykes, for your wonderful comments. Love to you and Mom.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

How sweet!!! Still praying!

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Robin.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

Still reading, Kristy.
Still praying.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

THanks, Dayle.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger THOMBU1 said...

Yes Jesus loves me, yes Jesus Loves me, yes Jesus Loves Me, the Bible tells me so. How awesome is the love of our God, and how simple it is to trust Him. Just like this simple song of a child is as sweet to the Lord as the song of a bird to ours ears, so is His Word. We love Him because He first loved us, and gave Himself for an offering for our sins, and oh how blessed it is to know the height and breadth and depth of the Love of God. As Pastor has pointed out the works done for our dear brother Roberts in his last days were I am sure a sweet smelling savor in the nostrils of our Heavenly Father, and I am sure He was well pleased, as I also am sure that He understands that the compassion we show to our parents is born out of love, and concern for those who gave their lives in essence for us, as they raised us up in the fear and admonition of the Lord. I pray that the sweet peace of God will flood your soul, and that He will refresh you in His eternal Love. Amen Pastor Terry, I too am believing for Gods' good favor and healing to flow into our dear sister now and forevermore. tom

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy,
I loved seeing these photos of your siblings and dear parents. Thanks for sharing Terry's message with us. I will be reminding God of that promise on your behalf too.
Love and prayers,
Carrie

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

THanks, Carrie. Thanks,Tom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home