Sunday, January 06, 2008

I'M SO HAPPY!


I was not happy this morning. I was trying to get ready for church, and my hair was falling out. It was in my sink. On the bathroom counter and around my bottles of perfume and decorative objects. In Milton's sink. In the tub. On the floor.

I felt sad. Disconcerted. How was I to deal with this?

I was short-breathed, couldn't get a deep breath. Radiation treatments give you fatigue, and the side effects of the medications steal my sleep. I looked out of circled eyes. I hung onto the bathroom counter, needing a lungful of air but not getting anything but snippets.

And then…

Breath? I asked myself.

My mind went to the scriptures I've memorized for a lifetime.

"Let everything that has BREATH praise the Lord," I quoted loudly, Milton looking at me curiously from his sink.

"This is the day the Lord has made," I quoted, feeling better. "I will rejoice and be glad in it," I said, feeling JOYFUL.

"I was glad when they said to me, 'Let us go to the house of the Lord,'" I nearly shouted, EXCITED that I was going to church, where my soul gets fed and replenished.

I started singing the children's song:

I'm so happy, I'm so happy,
I'm so happy, happy, happy,
Happy, happy, happy, happy.
I'm so happy, I’m so happy,
I'm so happy for…
What He's done for me.

Suddenly, JOY filled my soul and bubbled out of me as strong as a Florida artesian well, and I WAS SO HAPPY.

***

Later, leaving for church, our daughter Julie and I walked outside into a beautiful, sunshiny, Florida spring-like day. I grabbed the camera wanting to depict "This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it," and we headed to the backyard, where she snapped some pictures of me, one of them of me reaching for a luscious pink grapefruit.

***

At church, I shared with the congregation this experience, and they were blessed at my JOY, and then I led them in the kids' song, I'm So Happy.

Smiles were everywhere.
***
Milton fed my soul, and in the process waxed an elephant--preacherese, meaning, he waxed eloquent.

15 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger Rose of Sharon said...

God's word is alive and can cut marrow from bone! It is amazing how His scriptures can comfort us! I pray that you will continually feel His joy and His peace through your treatments. I pray that you will have a complete healing and recovery!

In Him ~ Sharon

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

That's right, Sharon. Love that: "God's Word can cut marrow from bone!"

P.S. I like your picture. Hair blowing in your face. Interesting...and fun!

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Kristy

I don't think you will ever know this side of Heaven how many lives you and Milton have touched with your blog. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. I am praying and believing for your healing. May God continue to bless you, encourage you, and surround you with his blessed presence. As you are strengthened, I hope you will write your experiences in a book or pamphlet for other cancer patients that will bring God's hope and peace to their hearts as God's peace is with you now.

Your Sister in Christ
Sharon Bailey

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I just love the Scripture that tells us God inhabits the praises of His people. When I prise Him, all of life's problems seem to slip away. While they're still problems, in light of eternity, they're nothing. And my Father can handle them.

I was awakened last night after about an hour of sleep. It was midnight and I couldn't go back to sleep. So I prayed for you, Kristy. I seem to wake up a lot lately, so I've committed to pray for you whenever I do.

Stay in the palm of His hand, my fun redheaded friend.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Lauralee Bliss said...

You're such a beautiful woman, Kristy. I can already see God at work in your life, as can so many others.
Standing with you.

Lauralee Bliss
Fellow Heartsong author

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

Daddy God - thank you for Kristy and Milton and their testimony to us all during this difficult time. I pray that you will continue to hold them in your lap and give them the peace that passes understanding - a triple portion. I pray for total healing in the name of Jesus. A healing that will confound the doctors and testify to your wonderful works. Kristy is your beautiful daughter and this cancer has no place in her. But in all things be glorified Daddy God. Amen.

Kristy,
You and Milton are both testimonies of the power of God to sustain us in ALL circumstances. I have seen it again and again - God pours out of those who know him, especially when times get tough. I know that you have also seen many miracles in your own sphere and ministry, but I wanted to share about a lady I know who had HIV - yes had. She fought it for several years, so the diagnoses was no accident, and we know that HIV is not cureable (in man's world), yet this sweet sister has been cured. No sign of it. It is all gone. It is impossible - but not for the Great Physician. As for your hair, go ahead and mourn it, I know I would. Then go on with your life (I know you will). It's ok to be sad for a while, but joy comes in the morning. It's such a great reminder of the power of praise.
Blessings,

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Your comments are so...beautiful. That's the only adjective I can think of. Thank you, all. I'm going to re-read them now, to get a second blessing.

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning, Kristy. It has been such a joy to see you blogging again! I'm praising God with you for what He's doing!

I read your post about losing your hair, and thought you might want to know how to put that hair to good use. When our girls were little, I used to cut their hair out on our deck. That way, I could just toss the hair into the grass and not make a mess inside. Imagine our surprise when we later found a bird's nest with our girls' hair intricately woven throughout it! So, grab a handful of that beautiful red hair and toss it in the yard. You could make a bird or two very happy!

 
At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! I forgot to sign my name on the comment above. It's me--Vonda. Hope you have an awesome week, dear friend. I pray God's blessing as you continue to bless others...

Love,
Vonda Skelton

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Vonda, great idea! I usually mop it up with damp paper towels and whisk them into the bathroom trashcan. Maybe I'll save them for the backyard, like you said. In fact, I can throw it in the woods. Our yard backs up to a nature preserve, and we have lots of birds, owls and eagles, even!

Hmmm....

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Becky said...

I read this and saw your picture among the trees, and the thought came to me if your hair is falling out, then you should scatter it near the trees in the yard and let the birds make nests with it. I can just see that bright red hair padding little eggs and bringing them joy.
God bless.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Becky said...

I should read the comments before posting. I see someone else had the same idea about nesting birds. (grin)

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Becky (my editor at Barbour Publishing), for the suggestion. It's a great one. I've seen pictures of your home and yard and gardens and am visualizing them now.

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger windycindy said...

God Bless you and your family. Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Windycindy. God bless--

 

Post a Comment

<< Home