Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A BABY'S FUNERAL


I'm having a good week. No more pain, nausea, and more stuff. More strength is flowing through me. I'm steadier on my feet. I'm going to church and church activities. I'm in my office producing work, which pleases me. As Aunt Bea always said, "You better give God the glory!" Aunt Bea is in her 90s and was a missionary evangelist who traveled the world. She's praying for me, too.
"Lord, thank You for all You're doing for me. You are such a good God!"

***

Several Sundays ago, I awakened early. No chills, no fever, no pain. I'll go to church this morning!

Two hours later…I'll go next Sunday. Too weak. Must rest.

Later, Milton comes home. I find out the funeral for the three-month-old baby is this afternoon. Pain akin to the physical grips my heart for this family. Not only has this happened, they've faced other sadnesses recently.

I'm going to the funeral. I want to hug them, cry with them, tell them I'm praying for them.

Will the church have steps? Will I have to walk far?

***

I knew Milton would hold my hand to steady me.

He did.

***

"Lord, sustain this family. Wrap Your loving arms around them. Please give them that supernatural cloud of peace You gave me when I learned I had GBM brain cancer, stage 4. Comfort them, Lord. Holy Spirit, You are the Comforter, according to what Jesus said. Your name in Greek means, "the One who walks along beside us." Walk beside this precious family. The parents. The grandparents. The rest of the family. Their friends--all who are affected by this tragedy. Oh, God, we don't understand why. Our hearts are hurting. But You are the God of comfort, and I'm asking You--as are my readers--to heal their hearts. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen."

***

In my recuperation, I watched TV because reading was laborious for me. I "overdosed" on House and Garden TV. Could such a thing happen? Haha.
One program I enjoyed that I never had time to watch is Joyce Meyer. She delivers practical truths in punchy ways.

One day, she said a man said, "God, where were you when my son died?"

"The same place I was when my son died," God replied.

That doesn't ease the pain of two young parents and grandparents seeing their baby die. It doesn't take away their despair. It won't bring the little fellow back. But family, I can say with confidence, that God will hold your hand in your grief. He held mine.
***
The photo is of our grandson at the Christmas Candlelight Communion service. He was praying so fervently. "The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much," the Bible says in James 5:16, NKJV. "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16, NIV).

10 Comments:

At 1:01 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

Yes, before Jesus raised the young man (boy?) from the dead at the funeral at Nain, he just had to tell the mother, "Don't cry." He hurts with us.

And I know he hurts when he doesn't raise someone from the dead. At least, not the way we want him to, immediately, or before it even happens.

But one way or another, yes, he holds our hand. The Spirit who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in us.

And he makes all things good for us who believe Jesus is Lord.

Praying for you, for a fresh infilling of the Holy Spirit--and healing. In the mighty name of Jesus.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Loving Our Homeschool said...

So glad you're feeling good this week! You were in my prayers this morning.

Blessings to you,
Heather (a blog reader you don't know but sister in Christ who checks in daily and lifts you up in prayer often)

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Joyce Meyer and watch her every day. Her ministry has changed my life. Glad you found her, too!

Kristy, you don't know me, but I pray for you constantly. You're in my heart and mind every single day.

I believe that Jesus has already acquired everything we need for every situation, and that "healing is the children's bread." It seems clear to me that you have some things you still want to accomplish. Jeremiah 29:11 tells us that God has a plan and a purpose for us. I'm praying that you'll be around a long time and that all of God's plans for you will be fulfilled. I'm standing in faith that according to Psalm 91 "with long life He will satisfy you and show you His salvation!"

God bless you, honey. I just wanted you to know how special you've become to a lot of people you may not ever meet on "this side," but who love you very much.

Nancy

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy ~

I'm also someone that you do not know, but I became aware of your situation through Eva Marie and Word Weavers... since reading your husband's cry to all husbands, I check back daily to see your progression in the Lord.

May He continue to hold on to you and your family and friends as you continue to bring Him glory, honor and praise.

God bless and be with you now.

Days, might be short
Nights might appear so long
But your life is but a journey
Outlived in a song.

Even though the words are bitter
And at times difficult to sing
Jesus is still Lord
To hold you through everything...

So may He continue to hold you
As only He can do.
May He continue to hold you
In all your going through!
Amen. Amen. Amen.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Lauralee Bliss said...

Kristy - So glad you are feeling better. Now go work on that novel!!!
:)

Love you!

Lauralee Bliss
Fellow Heartsong Author

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Even our tears can be a sacrifice of praise.

Praying for this dear family.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

Continuing to pray for your complete healing.
Blessings

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for your total healing, Kristy. How wonderful to know you're feeling much better.

Much love,
Nancy

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy and Milton, thank you for allowing us to journey with you and your family. Thank you for being open and honest. Thank you for your amazing faith. Thank you for being a blessing.

My prayers continue for your complete healing, Kristy.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

I enjoyed hearing from you. Each was an encouragement to me. Yes, I'm feeling well and happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home