Thursday, February 28, 2008

CHATTING WITH AUTHOR CHARLES MARTIN


Milton and I had the privilege of meeting author Charles Martin at Christian Booksellers Association convention. He writes for Random House, and I enjoy his novels. Not only is he a brilliant writer, he reminds me of authors Nicholas Sparks (The Notebook, The Wedding) and Richard Paul Evans in The Excellent Writing Deparment and The Handsome Department.

Don't worry. Milton was with me. Haha. Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't read the menu.

So--not!

I feel the "preach" coming on.

I don't believe in that menu and diet statement for a minute. Remember that archaic song: "Drink to me only with thine eyes, and I will drink with mine"? In marriage, we have eyes only for each other.

For some laughter, go to YouTube.com and search for TV Psychologist Bob Newhart for a great laugh.

Dr. Newhart tells the patient she has five minutes with him. She starts telling him her
problems, and he leans across the desk, raises his voice, and says, "Just stop it!"

"But Dr. Newhart, you don't understand---"

"Yes, I do." (Cups his hands around his mouth.) "Just stop it!"

She starts again, about another problem.

"Just stop it!" Dr. Newhart yells.

The audience is howling.

If you ever feel an attraction to someone besides your spouse, flee like Joseph did in the Bible. (And he wasn't the one who was attracted; she pursued him.) If those feelings come (not an uncommon thing), resist them--"Just stop it!" ("Resist the devil and he will flee from you," the Bible says.) Then, flirt with your spouse.

My philosophy is, if you said "I do," you're stuck, so flirt with him/her not others. Plan it. Study marriage books. Enjoy each other. That's how God intended it.

Caveat: I also believe marriages and people sometimes have deep problems, and sometimes divorce happens, and then we ask God to help us through. And He does.

***

Some of Charles Martin's novels:

Chasing Fireflies
Maggie
When Crickets Cry
Wrapped in Rain
The Dead Don't Dance

They're intriguing. They touch your soul.

5 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Mom, You are so amazing! What wonderful advice. You are such an awesome example to me and many others. I'm so blessed to have attended your Marriage Seminars when I was a young girl growing up. You have built a wealth of truths in my heart that I now pull from and use in my own marriage. I thank God for you and thank God you are my mother.
Love, Jennifer

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

While there are people with some very real problems and need help, I think many people would do well to "Just stop it!"

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Yes, Timothy, that's why I mentioned Dr. Newhart's "Just stop it!" Funny and true.

But there ARE some mean or nutty marriage partners out there.

Sweet daughter Jennifer, thank you for your post. You blessed me so much! I admire you in all the areas of your life. Wife. Mother. Daughter. Sister. Friend. And more. I always say you are a wealth of wisdom, girl. You should become a psychologist so you can impart your wisdom to many people. This is one of your many gifts. Love you, Sweetie.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Merrillee said...

I'm always at least a day late with my comments. I met Charles Martin last fall at the Amelia Island Book Festival, when we were on a panel together. I so enjoyed talking with him and listening to him read from his books.
Merrillee

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Yes, Merrillee. He's a great writer and storyteller.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home