Saturday, May 24, 2008

I GOT MY MAMA BACK!

Milton, here for Kristy:

Our precious Julie has returned home for a few days and wrote the following thoughts. As you will read, Kristy has rallied some though she faces so many unbelievable hardships. She doesn't complain and still proclaims the goodness of the Lord.

The pictures were taken Friday evening in our family room. You will read how Kristy got everything just right for these pictures in Julie's post.

***

Julie, here:

I got my mama back!

We had the best night tonight! I got in this afternoon from Tampa and was so happy to see my mother sitting in the recliner in the living room. For the most part these past weeks she has laid in a hospital bed either at hospice or here at home. It has broken my heart to see my sweet, industrious mother laying in a bed all day just staring at the ceiling, unable to sit up on her own, feed herself, have a conversation, or even just watch T.V. with me. I wrote the following this past week:

I want my Mama!!!

As I sat by my mother's bed late Saturday night, those were the words that were repeating themselves in my mind. You know how young children cry, "I want my mommy!" That's how I felt. I wanted her to get up and to talk with me. I wanted us to turn on HGTV and talk about decorating styles. I want my mother back…

Well, I got her back just a little bit tonight! Aunt Sandra, Uncle Terry, Aunt Becky, Uncle Don, Dad, and Sandra and Don Barfield were here with us tonight. We enjoyed a lovely dinner that some of my parents' dear friends prepared for us. It was so nice to sit at my parents' kitchen table and eat with my mom sitting in the same room with me, so close by. The other day I ate there and thought about how she would never sit at that table with us again, and how sorely I missed her and would miss her in the future.

Mom did experience a lot of confusion tonight, but she was also very alert and was clear a lot of the time. Not only was she clear, she was down right funny! We had such a good time! When it was time for Dad to put her in the wheelchair and take her back to her bed, she wanted some pictures.

She asked us to go get her lipstick. She would not let Dad pick her up, and she would not let Uncle Terry take her picture until she had her "orangey lipstick" on! She hasn't asked about makeup or even been alert or aware enough to want it in weeks! And if you know my mother, she has always worn her special shade of lipstick all of the time, especially for pictures!

It's quite a process getting her back in her bed, but after we all got her back in her bed, she began to get upset. She became confused and thought she was going to miss her flight.
She said, "Oh no! I've delayed them. I'm holding everything back. I've burdened everyone."


She wanted to have a talk with all of us girls and she told us how thankful she was of the good care we've given her and how much she loved us. She said she wanted to pay for our tickets too because we have and will pray for her and will support her. She was worrying about leaving things behind. She pulled the covers up and looked down at her feet to see if she had her heels on. She said she would need to bring her light weight shoes. She asked us if we were coming too.



I lay with her, rubbing her head, and as she dosed off she said, "Oh no!"

I said, "What's wrong?" She said, "Where are my tickets?"

Even through all of her confusion this evening, I enjoyed this time with my mother. We were able to sit in the same room during dinner, we were able to watch a movie (we watched a movie about Ruth Graham), and best of all we laughed together. That is true happiness on my face in these pictures.

16 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God for each moment He is giving you. We rejoice with you and we cry with you. God is good.

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual I am having my coffee and checking on Kristy. I am so glad, Julie, that you are having these special times; I have my mother and your family's experience has made me slow down and appreciate her more. My heart still aches for you all and I wish Jennifer could be with you, but I am so happy that you are getting this special time.

I don't know your family personally, but feel that I do through this blog site.

I hope the rest of your visit brings many happy moments.

Blessings,
Teresa from Tuscaloosa, AL

 
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God you had your MaMa back. This is soprecious, you will never forget this. As i read this blog I felt your pain Julie. I am praying for all of you. God is so good.
Love in Christ

From Bartow fla

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

Milton, Julie, and Jennifer,
Yesterday I attended a wake for a man from my church whose family only learned three weeks ago that he had untreatable liver cancer. (This is the same man who sang out This World is Not My Home when told he had less than a month to live.) His adult children said at least they had a week with him to get used to the idea. Praise God you have had so many more weeks than one. Like all of you, this family loves the Lord and are totally at peace because they know it's just like the song says--this world isn't home for believers in Christ. There is so much more ahead.

How precious that Kristy wanted all of you to have your tickets. The analogy is a great one. I picture her at the gate with her loved ones all around. Soon the announcement will be made that it's time for the trip. And in shorter time than it takes to walk a jet-way to the plane she will be transported into the arms of Jesus.

Of course, the Lord can always intervene, even at this time.

You are all in my prayers.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Rose McCauley said...

Dear Julie and family, As I read your post I had the same thoughts as Pam. Although I still pray for Kristy's healing every day, I know that if God doesn't intervene, she has her ticket ready! Like every mother, she wants to take all her family, too. Thanks for all the honest and heart-warming posts to encourage us all. love and prayers, Rose

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Kristy will tell St. Peter to hold on a minute for her to make sure her lipstick is on. :D

I love that about her. She's always been a girly girl. She also is a tremendous example to all of us.

Praying for all of you and Kristy. I know her confusion is hard to see. My mother died of Alzheimer's disease and her confusion was difficult after a life of teaching and being so involved in people. Like Kristy, my mother loved people. I imagine one day those two will discover each other.

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is Great, God is Good!!!! Each moment is a gift to treasure! We have learned to make memories that last a life time. What you have shared is the the kind of love that many only dream of or live out through books and films. God bless you for your inspiration.

Keep the faith and know that "Sunday is "a'comin!"

Once again you will be lifted up in prayer. Hang in there and don't quit. We are pulling for you!!!!!

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Lelia Chealey said...

I have been reading your mom's blog since Lysa TerKeurt had your dad on her blog. I wish I knew your mom in person, she just seems so beautiful inside & out.
I will be praying for you all. My Grandma was given 3 to 24 hours to live in 2002. I just blogged on it yesterday after I wathched her leave in an RV for the weekend with my Grandpa to visit her sister for the weekend. Didn't have the same illness your mother has, BUT we serve the same God who gave my Grandma's doctor no choice but to write "She is a miracle" a few paragraphs after writing his prediction of her death.
We just don't know what our God is up to do we?
Love your heart for your Mom and your Savior. AND LOVE the lipstick!! So sweet! I've also enjoyed reading the love your Dad has for your mom-absolutely the picture God paints for what He wants of a marriage. Your parents read it, obeyed it & lived it.
Blessings & Hugs from Nebraska,
Lelia

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Kathy Collard Miller said...

You are all a blessing! I just hurt knowing you're going through deep hurt; but your trust in God inspires me again and again. We're all still praying for a miracle but know the ticket is ready in case it's needed at the gate.

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Milton, Kristy, and girls... You've become like "family" to me, as I check in with you each day. Julie, your posting was so sweet and expressive. All of us LOVE OUR MAMA'S....so glad you GOT HER BACK! So glad you had that special time with her last night. I loved the way she wanted her "orangey" lipstick - I could always tell by her pictures that she was a picky little thing! I love that about her, too! So, does everyone, I'm sure! That's what makes her KRISTY! So, Kristy - you just keep right on being picky, honey! We'd want you no other way! Being PICKY sure got you the man of your dreams, your hero husband!

I'm praying and keeping you in my thoughts. God is so good, and I'm "there" with you....

Cathy (TN)

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie, I just wanted to let you know I'm praying for you and your family. I'll never forget our younger years, playing in the lot beside your house and all the sleepovers we had! I know you are thankful that you can be there with your mom. Cherish every moment you have with her. Remember that any speration will only be temporary and one day we will all be together forever!! That is what has carried me through the last 5 years since losing my dad. Keep the faith and take care of her. I'm here if you need me to cry with or just someone to talk to. Your dad will know how to reach me through my mom. Take care girl and remember your entire family is my thoughts and prayers.
Love ya,
Jennifer (Dunsford) Clark

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

I know that we don't fully understand all that your family is going through since we're not there, but we're storming heaven for Kristy and keeping the rest of you in our prayers. I think that each one of us envies your family and hopes that our families would gather around us and you have Kristy, were we in your circumstances. Praying for the strength of God to uphold you all and heal Kristy.
Blessings

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please know I am thinking about you all and praying for you!

Paul Tedesco

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Dear Julie, Kristy, and Milton,
What a joy to see the photos and read Julie's sweet comments about enjoying the evening with her mom. I am so glad Kristy was able to sit with you all and enjoy that time with you. She is blessed to have so many who love her and are caring for her. I know that is a comfort to her. Thanks for updating us. We continue to pray for God's comfort and strength for each day.
Love from Carrie in NJ

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Nathansma said...

So glad you got your mama back! Continuing to pray for Kristy. We need an update on Claudia with the broken arm and Jennifer.

Carla Blount Hood
Montego Bay, Jamaica

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

Julie, it is obvious that you care deeply for your mom... you and Jennifer both. You're such beautiful ladies--inside and out. I'm keeping you all in my prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home