Monday, June 16, 2008

FROM HEAD LICE TO HOUSEBOATS...

Milton, here for Kristy:

I yahooed Kristy's name the other day and quit scrolling at the 19the page. Her name appeared over and over for her books, being mentioned in blogs, articles that she had published in newspapers and magazines, and other articles written about her. Don't yahoo my name. There's not much to read. HA!

When she freelanced she was given all kinds of assignments. I hope you've never had head lice, but I bet many of you of the best families who have children could have used her article on head lice. What a pain that was when our precious "little" daughter brought them home from school.

We've never had a houseboat, but she did an article on some guy who built one and lived on it. I told her that one day I'd get a boat if she ever made a huge sell. It hasn't happened. She could be famous if she made me rich was the specific deal. HA! And all the real knowledgeable writers said "HA!" again.

Her genius for tackling the unknown was amazing. She could see the end product well. She always had a goal and was ready to meet it.

A couple of days ago as we were giving her meds she asked in her confused mind just as they were about to be given, "What's the goal?"

We said, "For you to get better."

"Okay," she responded and took them.

That's Kristy. What's the goal and let's get on with it.

***

How is Kristy?

Kristy woke up alert asking for me. I asked how she was feeling? She said, "Tremendous."

We sang, "Good morning to you," over and over to each other and then had a sweet time of prayer.

It is a good morning. God is good.

***
Rebecca, Kristy's sister, left Saturday after being her to care for Kristy a couple of weeks. Oh, she was such a blessings as are Norma, Kristy's friend Sandra, and now Sandra, Terry's wife, who is here to help. All my family and so many dear church people and friends have extended their hands to us. I am humbled and am so very grateful for their assistance.

These are godly people of faith--their faith is evidenced by their love of caring action.

8 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is able!
Those are the words I felt deep in my soul when I read Kristy's blog this morning.

Praise the Lord for another good day. Please let Kristy know that she is near and dear to our hearts.

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Kristy & Milton, My family has just completed a week at Disney World (1st time for the grandchildren). When they left on Sat., we drove over to Lakeland, specifically to visit lifelong friends. The husband has cancer. We shared Kristy's story and blog with them. We drove to SEU. As I stood there on the campus where I haven't been for years & years, I pictured you both as young students with such love and vibrancy. My heart broke! Good Memories, yes, but LIFE has happened to all of us. If we didn't have God, what would we do?
I pray daily for you. Your story, thru this blog will definitely be a precious inheritance for your family. In the midst of your prayers,please pray for our friend, Don, in Lakeland and their son, Brian, who is in great despair and is suicidal.

Sorry for the long note. Praying always for you. God is able and He loves you so much.

Annette (Barr) Grahl
SEBC 1971

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

You are so richly blessed, not only to have family that care, but also have the time ability to come and help. Even in the most caring of families, it is not possible economically or geographically to be away for weeks at a time. God has truly blessed you all. Even in the most difficult of circumstances, He still shows His mercy and love by keeping all the pieces in place. It is amazing.

Like one of the others, I gave out your blog info this to a friend this weekend. They aren't facing a life and death situation, but the wife has Bell's Palsy, which has put her into a deep depression. The husband and 20ish daughter are just beside themselves trying to support her. I gave them your blog, not to compare situations, but to bless them with how you have worked through the challenges in your relationships, both here and with God. I get blessed daily.

Thank you again Milton for your wonderful updates. There is no doubt that Kristy is not the only writer in your family. In fact, it appears that all 4 of you are talented. You are in my prayers daily and although I only met Kristy briefly at ACFW a couple of years ago, I love your family.

Blessings,

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Ava Tanner said...

Dear Milton and Kristy:

Reading your blog about the head lice reminded me of a story when you were the pastor in Bartow. We were having a Children's crusade and I had no idea what head lice were at the time. I had your children over at my house during the day, then I would pile all the children into the tub for a bath at the same time, then head off to church for the crusade, then the next day do it all over again.

Well on Sunday, my oldest daughter, April was having some issues with her hair. I finally asked Linda Boyd what was wrong. Image my surprise when she informed me of the sad problem. The next week they had spread to most of the congregation, I believe including you, pastor. Ha Ha.

May God continue to strengthen you daily and watch over you family.

Ava Tanner

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

I enjoyed Julie's reflection on her mom so very much, especially the line that said The sincerity of her heart and all that she has modeled makes me want to be a better mother, daughter, sister, friend, teacher…

This only shows that the seeds we sow into the lives of others, and the time we spend giving of ourselves to others will not be in vain.

Happy Father's Day, Milton. I didn't get by the blog yesterday, as I spent it with my 81-year-old father.

Give Kristy a hug for all of her AWSA sisters who can't be there with her.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Jennifer Johnson said...

Hi Milton,

You don't know me...ha! I don't know you either. Anyway, I'm one of Kristy's fellow Heartsong writers and ACFW (originally ACRW)friends. I want to share a remembrance with you.

Several years ago, Kristy wrote a response to something on our loop. She wrote about how you two had a miserable fight and she cried out to God to make you see the light of day and come running, apologizing all the way, to her. As she was praying, she felt the Holy Spirit nudge her that she needed to go to you...not just for a hug, not just for a kiss, but to give herself completely to you.

After several moments of arguing with the Lord, she succumbed to his instruction. After your cleansing time of forgiving one another, Kristy told you what God had instructed. Your response was "Praise God!"

Her post was so much more descriptive then my above summation, but I remember that so vividly. At the time I was a young wife and a mom with young kids, and there were often times that little and big squabbles bubbled up between my husband and me. Touch was (and still is) a balm to begin the forgiveness and healing process.

When I told my husband that story, he admitted he liked God's way of handling the situation as well. We still laugh and bring up the times God's instructed the same of me.

I don't remember how many years ago she wrote that, but it left such a sweet impact.

Jennifer Johnson

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

HA is right! :D But for eternal value, Kristy is mega-rich. She's touched so many lives for God, her head will bow from the weight of her crown.

As always, I'm praying.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Mary Connealy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your life with us, Milton. I love the message of faith and joy and closeness to God that rings through every day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home