Sunday, June 01, 2008

THUMBING THROUGH "SOUTHERN LIVING"...

Milton, here for Kristy:

Late last night I picked up two old Southern Living Magazines to read as I slipped off into sleep. Kristy keeps them all over the house in magazine racks so there easy to find. One of them was a August 2002 issue with a feature on "Our Favorite Getaways on the Outer Banks".

Kristy and I have traveled there a number of times to see our friends Ron and Judy and David and Kay, both who are pastors on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

(This is the Ocracoke Island Lighthouse which is the shortest (75 feet) and oldest (1823) lighthouse still standing on the Outer Banks.)

I found the article and looked at the pictures and then my mind recalled memories we made there. The article featured Ocracoke Island and Corolla. The lighthouses and history grab you and they certainly grabbed us. You can only get to Ocracoke by ferry. They both are so beautifully quaint and unique.

We toured the old churches and historic buildings with Kristy holding paper and pen making notes for her writing. Her stories came from everywhere. Her eyes, ears, and senses were always seeing things the rest of the crowd missed. A lot of what they missed wasn't there. It was in Kristy's mind and heart and flowed out on her fiction pad. Oh, the stories she saw in those places.

Inevitably we found the old churches and spent a few moments in them. We both enjoy history and especially the historic houses of worship. Our knees would bend at their altars asking for God's wisdom, guidance, help, and grace.

I thumbed through a few more pages of the magazine.

There were more articles on:

Winter Park, FL--We strolled there together.
Memphis, Tenn--We toured there together.
Charleston, S.C.--We saw sights there together.
St. Augustine, FL--Made many day trips there together.
Miami, FL-- We traveled there many times on ministry trips together
Amelia Island, FL--Made our last get-a-way there just a month ago together.

There were more places included that we shared together.

Every page of this issue Southern Living opened my eyes, mind, and heart to the wonderful Southern living we have shared.

The memories filled my mind throughout the night. It was sweet sleep with sweet memories

***

How is Kristy?

Saturday was good and she slept through the night. The tumor is ravaging her brain. Her memory comes and goes. We have moments so special and then moments so tough yet tender. We are trusting in One who is mighty to save and deliver.

Please keep Kristy and us in your prayers.

10 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Milton & Kristy! I just wanted to drop a short note to let you all know that I think of you every day and pray for you every day. I am still beliving in God's healing touch here on earth.

As I read scripture the other night, I came across Mt 7:7. Ask and you shall receive. I am still asking God for the chance to meet Kristy here on earth and I am beliving for that!

Ask, believe, receive. I am amazed at how strong Kristy is and she continues to inspire me through this journey she is taking.

So just know that we're still beliving from Tennessee and looking forward to the day we can share some good ole' fashioned Southern hospitality with ya'll!! (I'm originally from NY but the south has truly rubbed off on me! hehehe)


Have a blessed Sonday!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I love old places and have always seen stories lurking in the shadows. Kristy has been such an inspiration to me in that way. It's fun to share those insights with another writers who sees like you do.

I'm glad you have those Southern memories, Milton. Share them with Krsity again in the good moments.

As always, I'm praying for you all.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Shana said...

continuing to lift you up in prayer - love, shana in seattle

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We continue to pray for you guys here in Zephryhills. just this morning our church prayed in depth for both of you! We are belieivng God for a miracle for Kristy.

Milton, reading your post of memories made together with Kristy, I couldn't help but think of my own marriage/family and our trips. We like to look thru the albums and remember trips. But reading your post made me think that one day you and Kristy will walk streets of gold together and sit down by the river of life together. What a hope we all have that trust in Jesus!!!- with love and prayers Yvonne

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm praying for Kristy and checking the blog every day to see how she is fairing. I've asked God to help her and heal her. She is such a blessing to others, I pray for a miracle on earth, but if He chooses to heal her in heaven, she has blessed countless lives, even mine, of people she has never met or known through her writing and her books. I pray one day I can say the same. God will be with you and your family through all of this to make it bearable. One of the worse pains there is is watching someone you love slowly die and knowing you are helpless and all you can do is pray, but praying is the most important thing we can all do. God will take care of the rest.
Daily prayers, may God continue to bless you and yours,
Barb

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Milton, Please check Kristy's e-mail. I sent y'all some "laughter" in response to your request. Didn't figure out how to post it in the blog.
Give her a hug for me.
With my love and prayers every day,
Kathy

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Lisa Taylor said...

Bro. Dykes,
Greetings from South Alabama! We are daily reading this blog and praying. I really want to convey the blessing and help this blog and the writers to the comments have been to us! Many people in our church daily read your posts. One of our dear ladies shared with me this morning how touched she was with Sandra's singing the "Peacespeaker." We have many precious memories of living in Florida and of the wonderful people who influenced our lives for Christ and the ministry. I was able to express my love for your family today when our saint from church said with tears in her eyes, "How wonderful to have a family like that." With confidence, I could truly say about the entire Dykes family, from your Daddy and Mom to your sisters and dear relatives, what you see is really the way they are!
A couple of weeks ago Bro. and Sis. Lambert were with us in revival. Sis. Lambert shared with me how committed your folks were to the work of God in Alabama when they were in the district office and then pastoring. She even shared a specific example of your Mom's faithfulness.
I felt so overcome with desire to be that kind of christian and pastor's wife. What a testimony--What a legacy! Your strength and perseverance are true examples of what you taught us at Bartow. I'm thankful for your continued ministry.
We are interceding!
Much love to all,
Mike, Lisa, and MaryLisa

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE love you and are continuing to pray with you. If I were there in person I would read Psalm 34 to you. I would emphasize Vv 6,17,19. "...the LORD delivers him from them all..." I would then and do now declare God's provision of deliverance and healing for you. Again we love you!

mike & jeannie tedder

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Dear Milton and Kristy,

Thanks for sharing these precious memories with us. You and Kristy have certainly done a lot of traveling and visited many beautiful places. I'm sure you're glad you made time for those special trips together. Through the years you have shown Kristy how much you love her and how special she is to you. And that love and care continues today. What a testimony of faithfulness. Thank you for that example.

I check in each day to read the blog and see how you are doing, and I am always blessed and encouraged by your posts.

Sending love and prayers,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Kristy I have those magazines all over the house! Well...not ALL over...but they are easy to find. And, like Kristy, I use them to help me recreate settings and characters, etc. There's no place like the south and there's no living like southern living. Except for Southern Christian Living! Now there's a magazine idea! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home