Tuesday, August 05, 2008

THE POWER OF PUNCTUALITY

Milton, here for Kristy:


I sat on the edge of the bed in Norma's guest bedroom. What can I read before I fall asleep? There is a stack of books on the night stand. Humor Me by Barbara Johnson was on top. I could use some humor so I picked Johnson's book up and then I saw them. The books.

Autographed Copy written on a sticky label leaped off the front of the book. Then I saw two books. These are two of Kristy's books. They are autographed copies. I opened one of the books and see Kristy's handwriting:

"To

Norma--

Sister and friend--

Thanks for your

love and support.

Love,

Kristy

Eph. 1:8"

"I don't have a personalized autograph copy of any of Kristy's books," I sadly thought. Tears are streaming down my face by that time. "But, oh, read the dedication, To my hero husband....." I read and then it dawned on me that is printed in every copy of every book she had published. She thought that I was her hero. Wow.

I looked at the first page of "Shirley, Goodness, and Mercy" and read down the page, "...This was something she (Shirley) never did--sit and while away time."

I know that person. That is Kristy speaking through Shirley's voice. Shirley is Kristy.

Kristy hated waste. She couldn't stand putting off or goofing off. When driving her car, she always moved to the short line of cars as she approached red lights. She had things to do, places to go, work to be finished, and new tasks awaiting. She wanted to be first out of the intersection to get to where she was going.

She hated wasted time. She was patient with others, but not when there was incompetence or lack of thoughtfulness and respect of other's time--including her time.

She knew the shortcuts but never took them at the expense of excellence. She refused shortcuts that made things look like yesterday's leftovers.

Do you know she never was late to meet any deadlines for any article or book or for anything else she committed to do? Now, again, I admit I am romantically biased, but tell me or show me proof of anything other than what I have just written about Kristy.

Kristy understood and lived with diligent commitment to keep her word and to respect other's time.

Timely, get it done now, hater of procrastination, and task completer all described her. She wasn't a braggart or big talker. She was a doer. Ask anyone who was around her long. This lady wouldn't wait until tomorrow. Procrastination was a dirty word.

Kristy understood the power of punctuality.

If you want to get something done, include punctuality. It might just make things go better for everyone.

Kristy's story included a quote from "Little Women" that describes my beloved, "When the writing fit came on, she gave herself up to it with entire abandon...while she sat safe and happy in an imaginary world, full of friends almost as real and dear to her as any in the flesh."

I lay down on the bed reading the first chapter of Kristy's book with movie images of my dear redhead playing on my mind's screen. She was busy with no wasted motion, powerfully and punctually fulfilling her life's dream. And now she is gone.

Here is a good thought. Don't wait. Do it now. Time is wasting.

***

How is Julie, Jennifer, and the grands?

They each are dealing with Kristy's loss differently. Julie misses her mom helping her get her classroom all set up to start the new school year. Jennifer is getting Claudia ready for pre-school. All the grands are getting back into their routines.

I sorely miss them all. I miss Kristy most of all.

11 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger nanatrish said...

That was so sweet to see that she had dedicated all her books to you. You have been so blessed. I continue to pray for you and the girls. Not being able to share with your loved one is the hardest thing for me. I just rest in the knowledge that they are in heaven and someday we will all be together again.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

I am praying for you today as your heart continues to heal. Yes, Kristy understood the power of punctuality. That's a great reminder to be thankful for each day, each hour, each minute...and to use them with eternity in mind.

We are preparing for our oldest daughter's wedding this Saturday. Thinking back through all the lessons I have learned with you on this journey makes me want to see the significance of this time with loved ones and not waste a moment on petty worries. I am determined to treasure the moments!

Blessings from,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,

THis is Julie's friend, Lisa.. Stay strong.. Please know you have thousands of invisible arms hugging you and helping you through this proccess.

Lisa

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

Milton,
You have no autographed copies because Kristy autographed every book she ever wrote to her hero husband in her dedications. She is not gone. She is between the pages of each and every book she wrote, and her voice lives on through all those created characters and worlds. She is watching you from heaven with a smile on her face seeing that you miss her and picked up her book and read it, thinking of your redhead. She lives on in our hearts, minds, and memories.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Shana said...

continuing to pray - with love from seattle, shana

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying......!

Trk N 4 JC

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Through the tears and heartache, dear brother, it must be a great comfort to read Kristy's words and still be able to see yourself through her eyes of love. These losses are so painful that it's nearly impossible to put the emotions into words. I understand. There's no getting OVER it, but Jesus will take us THROUGH it.

Our prayers continue for you, Julie, Jennifer, the grands, and entire Dykes family.

Nancy

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Cari Quinn said...

I miss Kristy, too, Milton, and I never knew her. Such is the power of her written words - and yours.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I'm so glad I have a couple of Kristy's books.

I went to the ACFW website to pull up the month's birthdays. I loe to send cards, e-cards especially. With those I'm never late. :)

And there she was ... August 2nd. But I sent her an a-card. That's an angel card. :)

I think Jesus will let her know, don't you?

I'm so glad Jennifer and Julie have the kids to keep them busy.

As always, I remember you in my prayers.

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've bopped in here almost every day for the past six or seven months...only leaving a comment or two but praying for your family everytime I visit.

I continue to visit...I continue to pray and I ask the God of all comfort to comfort you and strengthen you as only He can do.

Qene'

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have been fortunate to find two of Kristy books. I love her writings and will always treasure them.
I pray daily for you and your family.
The Dr told me today my husband is worse today than last month. Hospice is coming five days a week now. They started him on more strong meds today.
So I do try to listen more to him and treasure every moment.
He is so very precious to me, we realize he is even more precious to our Heavenly Father. Just like your Kristy.
I am thankful to know God is in control and so full of love for each of us.
Blessings to you and yours.
Jackie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home