Thursday, June 19, 2008

LAUGH YOUR TROUBLES AWAY

Milton, here:

The last few days have been especially hard for me. Emotionally I'm drained and am being challenged in other ways too. Yet, God reaches His hand out when I am in need and touches Kristy and me.

Last night right at bedtime, Alex and I were in the bedroom with Kristy. He kissed and kissed her all over her face and, of course, I had to join in the sweetness.

Kristy looked up and said, "Tell me something funny." She had just been struggling with confusion and was not feeling so well. But, she reached out for cheer. We thought for a moment and were kinda stumped and then we just began to laugh. She laughed with us and we all felt better.


***

Two summers back we celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary in Savannah, Ga., at a beautiful B&B. We arrived Sunday afternoon, unloaded, and went out for dinner downtown overlooking the river.

We returned late and went upstairs to our presidential room overlooking Forsyth Park. I'm lying on the bed watching the huge flatscreen TV hanging on the wall over the mantel. Kristy is puttering around in the room and reached out to adjust the shade covering a huge window overlooking the park. The whole, big shade comes tumbling right down. Now the world is looking into our bedroom.

It's late. The proprietor is an old lady. We're the only ones staying in the Inn that night. The darkness of night is peering into our room, and there's no ladder to fix this dilemma.

Frustration took hold in me. "Why couldn't she have left well enough alone," I thought. I didn't say anything much that I remember, but my expression gave me away.

Well, here I am standing on the back of an old rickety chair, straining as high as I could, holding the shade in one hand, balancing with the other, and dressed in less than my Sunday best. It wasn't easy, but finally all was repaired and I climbed down.

She looked at me. I looked at her.

I burst into uncontrollable laughter. She began to laugh and we stood there hugging and laughing and about to roll on the floor. Laughter made a lot of tension go away that night. Laughter has brought lots of medicine into our lives.
***
As we walked the streets of Savannah those three days:

We laughed. We shared. We dreamed. We explored. We prayed. We learned. We held hands. We drew closer. We reflected. We gave thanks.
***
How is Kristy?

She had another mixed day--confused and alert. Emotionally, as I mentioned earlier, it has been extremely hard for all of us.

We are trusting and holding to His faithful hand.

11 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Good Morning Milton, Kristy and all,

I will be lifting you up today, asking God to pour out His grace and comfort into your hearts. Hold on to Him, and He will carry you through.

Thanks for the photos and memories from your trip to Savannah. I can just imagine you all holding each other and laughing together. What a blessing that you have such wonderful memories. God often asked Bible Characters to look back and see the faithfulness of God and all He had done for them. That gives us confidence and courage to move ahead with Him leading the way. I am praying He will give you the help you need for today.

I appreciate you taking time to update us. I know that must be a challenge when there is so much on your heart and mind. Thank you.

Love and prayers,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger One Mother with Cancer said...

Your family continues to be an inspiration!

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, this song by Fanny Crosby comes to mind. The words say it all.
May Jesus minister to your heart today.

Jesus, my only Hope, Friend ever dear,
Bend to my earnest prayer Thy gracious ear;
Come from Thy throne above, come and my dross remove,
Fill me with perfect love, Savior, to Thee.

Jesus, my only Hope, grant me Thy grace,
Teach me in joy and pain Thy hand to trace;
Keep Thou my heart in peace, bid ev’ry murmur cease,
Come and my faith increase, Savior, in Thee.

Jesus, my only Hope, Jesus, my King,
Help me with heart and voice Thy praise to sing;
Now let Thy beams divine bright o’er my pathway shine,
Draw me, O Savior mine, closer to Thee.

Jesus, my only Hope, be Thou my Guest;
Under Thy mighty wings, O let me rest,
Rest till the angel band home to the promised land
Bears me at Thy command, Savior, to Thee.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Milton,
I have been checking in every day and praying for your family. My heart hurts for you all, but I am cheered by your faith.

The next time you are asked for a funny, I have one that you can share if you wish. My husband has always lovingly patted me on the rear. I guess that my little boy just wants to be like Daddy. Since he is WAY too young at 5 for a wife of his own, he has found another way to mimic his daddy's behavior. Last night, while I was busy cleaning up after a class, the sneaky thing went out into the hall and sought out our sweet church secretary, Diane. Diane and my son, Alex, love each other very much, so I guess he felt comfortable with her. She was talking to a group of men that had just left the Men's class when my son snuck up behind her and popped her on the rear. She spun around, expecting to lecture a grown man for acting inappropriately, and instead, finds Alex looking all smug and proud of himself. I should have know something would happen that evening when he chose to wear his "Hello, my name is Trouble" t-shirt!

Praying for you all!

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Shana said...

continuing to pray - with love - in seattle :)

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger B. J. Brooks said...

Praying daily for Kristy's recovery and asking God for more time with her family.

May God's peace continue to reign in your household. It is obvious that God is holding your hand along with Kristy's.

Thank you so much for continuing to update Kristy's blog. It has become part of my morning devotionals.

Many Blessings
B.J. Brooks
Robinson

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

I just had a great laugh about the shade in the hotel room. Thanks for sharing your laughter even during hard times. You will always have those wonderful memories to hold on to. Thank God for the good times and good memories and all the fun you had making them.

Tell Kristy her blog is a demonstration of love and passion for God.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

My heart just grieves with you, Milton. I know the rollercoaster you're on. Can you imagine what peopel without the Lord's mercy and strength do?

God is so good to walk with us through these dark valleys.

I'm praying for you as well as Kristy.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

Milton, please take care of yourself through all of this. You are Kristy's "hero husband," but she also understands that you are human. I hope you will take some time to refresh your spirit and relax in the strong arms of the Lord, and may it bring some sort of comfort, knowing that you've got lots of folks out here praying for you.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

P.S.

LOVED the story of the B&B mishap. Hubby and I have experienced a few very similar moments in our 27 years of togetherness. There's nothing like laughter to stop an argument.

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A short joke.

Do you know how to catch a Unique Rabbit?

You Neek up on it!

Praying for you and your family here in California. I have been following Kristy's blog and it touches my heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home