Wednesday, June 18, 2008

SMELL THE AROMA

Milton, here for Kristy:

The coffee is brewing. Can you smell it?

That's been the first item on the agenda at our house for years. Way back, Kristy coaxed me into putting the coffee on one morning. I am not much, really not anything, in the kitchen and she was needing a little help.

So I put it on that morning and she bragged and bragged how good it was.

The next morning I asked her to put it on to brew and she said, "You make a much better cup coffee than I do. Please make it today."

All along she talked about how good my coffee making was. I was a little proud of this new skill.

Boy, did she snooker me. It dawned on me after a few years how silly it was to think I could do anything in the kitchen to measure up to her. Now remember, this is the Kristy who wrote Kristy's Kitchen, a cooking column. She is something in her kitchen.

Bragging on your mate is better than pushing them. Kristy could nag me about things, but she was more often very shrewd. She dedicated her books to me calling me her "hero husband." I assure you that was and is motivating to me to my higher good as a husband.

***

How is Kristy?

Yesterday was a mixed day. Sometimes she was confused and other times her mind was very clear. She continues to sing and worship. She loves our kisses and smiles so sweetly.

Claudia came bouncing into our bedroom at nighttime with a new pair of pj's on. "Look papa," she said.

Nana looked at her and said, "Woooo," with real expression.

Claudia had the biggest grin of satisfaction.

10 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger One Mother with Cancer said...

I'm so glad that you share your memories with us. Still praying for Kristy.

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummy yummy ,,good coffee. i am still drinking mine lol. well i have all of Kristy's book,, BUT 1 , i cannot find it online or stores ( whats up with that Kristy lol) its called HOLIDAY AT THE INN. if anyone knows where Krsity has hid this certain book ,please let me know. I pray you all have a blessed and beautiful day ,,
MIMI --BARTOW, FLA

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorite memories of Kristy is watching her when she came into the kitchen at our house and the coffee was still brewing. She leaned on the counter with her head in her hands and watched the coffee dripping into the pot! She needed it to get her motor running.

So, every morning when you made the coffee for her, Milton, you were helping her get her motor running!

Love,

Sis

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MIMI,

Google Holiday at the Inn Kristy Dykes and several places will come up where you can find the book.

Thnx, Milton for the up dates on Kristy. First thing every morning I check this blog. Still praying for you all.

Trk N 4 JC

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Janet Spaeth said...

Love this story. Especially since I did the same thing with my husband! I'm sure he's in heaven making the coffee every morning for the angels. (I had to give away the coffee pot since I didn't know how to use it!)

God's blessings on both of you...

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is not a day that goes by that I do not read your blog and pray for you.

Thanks for sharing the Milton makes better coffee story. It is true. Bragging is much better than nagging.

Many hugs to you Milton, Kristy, the girls, and the 2,4,6,8's.

His love and strength are with you always.

God Bless.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I remember meeting Kristy in Nashville at the ACFW conference. We both were standing in line for coffee, and she told me her hero made better coffee.

I asked, "Who's your hero, Colonel Starbucks?

"No," she said with a wink. "He's my husband."

Now I know HOW you became so good at it. ;) I'm going to have to try that. LOL

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Lisa Taylor said...

Bro. Dykes,

Thank you for sharing your lives with us.

Each day as we read and pray, we cannot help but remember the wonderful times we spent with your family and under your leadership as our Pastor.

Twenty years ago TODAY, you married us, and Kristy was our wedding director. How fast these years have gone! Looking at wedding pictures reminds us of those blessed first days together and our pre-marital counseling with you. Some days I remind Mike to "love me, don't try to understand me" :) Your marriage advice works:)

Thank you and Kristy for investing in our lives!

We love you, and we are praying,

Mike, Lisa, and MaryLisa

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

That first cup of morning coffee is the absolute best.

Bragging and not nagging is one of the best pieces of advice any wife could receive. It's just a shame it takes many of them years to figure that out, or maybe they just want to nag. I don't know. I've been guilty of the nagging way too many times in the past 27 years myself. :(

Hugs to Kristy.

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

Kristy is still in my thoughts and prayers. I've had her blog to my blog list link. I am new at blogging and am just getting started. I can just click on the link on my own blog to check on Kristy each day and read her blog.

The coffee story reminded me of my own mother who loved her coffee. You could always smell coffee brewing when you visited her. It also reminded me of a friend whose husband always made the morning coffee and brought her a cup to bed. What a sweet and loving gesture.

May God continue to bless you and provide strength for your family and Kristy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home