Saturday, August 16, 2008

GOOD FRIENDS AND CHARLESTON, SC



Milton, here for Kristy:



Very few things are better than good friends. What is a friend? A friend is a person who comes in when others go out. A friend accepts you for who you are--not what they think you should be or might be or what they can get from you.

Need a friend? Be friendly. Reach out and do not worry about the return. It will happen. It is a law. Seeds planted produce fruit if they are watered, cultivated  and given time.

Terry and I enjoyed a delicious dinner in the beautiful home of Cindy and LaRell who have been friends for a long time. Lindsey, their daughter, is included in the dinner photo. They 
are great, gifted ministers who have hearts as big as Texas. We worked together in Bartow, Florida many years ago and had a blast. Cindy cooked frogmore stew or Beaufort stew. It was fantastic and followed by banana pudding. Banana pudding! Who needs Twinkies! 

Earlier in the day, Terry and I enjoyed downtown Charleston and briefly took in some 
of the numerous old historic churches. Charleston is referred to as the holy city by some because of its many houses of worship. Jerusalem is "The Holy City", but Charleston is so historic with intriguing stories of the past. I love the houses of worship in Charleston.

We took a boat ride out to Fort Sumter. The Confederates fired the first shots of the Civil War at Fort Sumter. No one was killed by the 30+ hours of firing at the fort or returned by the Union soldiers. 

The first casualty in the Civil War was a Union soldier in the fort who was accidentally killed by his own negligence after all the firing by the Confederate and Union soldiers at each other had stopped. The soldier was helping fire a final salute before they surrendered the fort to the Confederates. He put powder for the next shot into his canon before the previous volley's ember residue went out. The explosion from the powder killed him. 

More soldiers died in the Civil War than died in all of the other American wars we have fought
combined. Is there an illustration in there somewhere? 

6 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love history, too, Milton. I grew up outside Savannah (what does Savannah have that Charleston does not?). Can't wait to read more about Barney. I grew up loving Andy Griffith because he looked so much like my daddy, who also wore a law enforcement uniform. Daddy has been gone for two years and, today, I found some papers of his tucked into a book I'd inherited from his library of biblical reference books. That plus three cards from loved ones, telling him how special he was. I came unglued for a moment.

Grief is like that. It hits at the most unusual times and when you least expect it. But, when my time of tears was over, I felt like I'd had a few more minutes with Daddy. He's left his fingerprints all over the place.

I know, you know, Kristy has too.

My best,

Eva Marie

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

Friends indeed are great and you seem to be richly blessed. Now about Frogmore Stew. I had never heard of it, and I looked it up and found more variations than you can imagine. Anyone have an easy, standard (non-gourmet) recipe to share?
BTW Milton - you are doing great, and although I know the pain is there you are also modeling working through grief.
Blessings

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Hi Milton,

So glad you had a good time with dear friends the last few days. Charleston is beautiful. We visited there a few years ago, and I remember all the beautiful historic homes and churches and Fort Sumter.

I am praying for you, and I will continue to ask the Lord to comfort and strengthen you for the days ahead. He has a plan and a purpose yet to be accomplished in your life.

Prayers and blessings from,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

This sounds like a fun trip! I love history, and being a romantic, I see old houses and wonder about the people who lived in them, what their lievs were like. :) I did that before I even knew I wanted to write.

I'm yearning to see the coast of Maine, then I want to do Savanah properly. Last time I got there, I saw nothing but some pier and a fishing pole. That is NOT romantic unless it was my idea. ;)

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

I watched Any Griffin as a young girl and remember Mom making scrambled egg sandwiches and strong black coffee.I enjoy history, too. We went to St. Augustine last weekend, and I loved it. I'd always read about the Fountain of Youth in a history book. I got to visit it, climb 219 lighthouse steps, and tour the fort. I took my first horse and buggy ride, a narrated tour, saw the old jail, the old drugstore, the oldest wooden schoolhouse, and the oldest house. Really enjoyed it.

Enjoy your history tours. May God bless.

Barb

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,
I am so glad you got to spend time with Terry. If anyone is like Kristy, it's Terry.
For those who do not know him. He, like Kristy, has the most wonderful sweet loving spirt. Also like Kristy, his love for God just shines through him. Their Mamma did good! :)

Milton, You are still in my prayers. May God continue to guide and comfort you during this sabatical and for years to come.

With Love & Prayers,
Lori

 

Post a Comment

<< Home