Thursday, August 07, 2008

A MIRACLE HAPPENED ON WEDNESDAY

Milton, here for Kristy:

My mind is in a rush--a swirl. It is functioning slow and fast at the same time. Flashes of places, things, good times and tough times, joy and sadness, peace yet turmoil all happening at once while yet knowing and feeling His presence. There is a cloud of peace over me and a chair of strength under me. This isn't a contradiction, but a matter of passing through a tough and terrible storm.

I am on a brief sabbatical from my duties as a pastor. My precious congregation has stood so faithfully with me and our family. You see, Kristy grew up in this church. There are people who are active in our congregation who knew her as a little redheaded, freckle faced child and girl and then saw her first ministry as a teenager. They attended our wedding. They welcomed us as pastors and followed us. They attended her funeral. They are holding my hands. They are wonderful people who love God and His servant. But, I need to be away and let God give fresh anointing and healing in my body and mind and spirit.

When I left town on Monday, I gathered and packed all I needed and also put in my suitcase books to be mailed to those who won the drawing for the contest "Where Is Steinhatchee?" I planned on mailing them today.

I have been smarting over many issues which are obvious and some issues that no one knows. But one struggle has been that I did not have one signed copy of any of Kristy's books. Her GBM brain tumor and surgery and radiation treatments and the recovery happened so fast. We were not thinking about signatures. We were thinking about survival and life. But now she is gone and not having one signed copy of her books hurt.

Wednesday noon, I went to my suitcase to get the books I brought to mail. I reached in and pulled them out remembering I had brought extra copies for me to re-read. I actually brought two different books I planned on mailing to the winners. As I sorted the books, something caught my eye.

In the stack of books one of them had an "Autographed Copy" sticker on it. I was shocked and almost fell over in amazement. I opened the book and on the inside cover was written:



May God draw you
closer to Him.

Matt. 5:5

Kristy Dykes


Kristy dykes.blogspot.com
Read my unusual story.

christianlovestories.blogspot
.com


This was the last book she signed. To my knowledge this the last thing she ever wrote. I know because parts of it had white out in one place and lines scratched through some words. The first four lines had been written before the surgery with a clear and good signature, but the last four lines were in a hand writing of a woman who had a brain tumor and could not write very good.

I remember her attempting to write the last four lines and failing after she had recovered from brain surgery. She struggled to read or write. I thought she had discarded the book as she did with everything else that did not have immediate service or use for her. There are no junk or piles of anything in our house. Nothing ever piled up anywhere at any time when Kristy was around. This book could have easily disappeared in many ways, but no, it appeared in my hand from His hand.

Read two posts back and you will see how I was so hurt over not having a autographed copy. Now I have one. If you have a signed copy of her books, cherish it. Don't send it to me. Please don't. I have the only one I want.

A miracle of unusual mercy happened on Wednesday to bring comfort to my heart. Read what she signed again. It might be a miracle for you.

***

I will share soon about the family gift that they gave to Kristy on her birthday, August 2. It is amazing what they did to celebrate her life.

There are stories to tell about our walk, hand in hand, through small town America. I am trying to write them, but this christian love story is still happening. I can't digress just yet.

Thank you for your prayers. I feel them so strongly. How do people go through such a storm without Jesus and wonderful family and friends?

I called two pastors within the last days who are so discouraged they do not know what to do. Pray harder for your pastor. The devil wants her or him to fail. Make sure your prayers are lifting your pastor up. Pastors need people to pray for them. I know.

Please pray for two discouraged pastors for God's wisdom and strength.

14 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Beth@Pages of Our Life said...

Thanking God with you for this special treasure that you found. I am the grandaughter of Noland and Dorothy. Daughter of Amanda and I wanted to thank you for writing. I shared on my blog how I have never heard you preach but have heard some of the greatest truths coming through your fingers on Kristy's blog. Thank you for writing. It has touched my heart and I know others to read that God is meeting you day by day and moment by moment.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger B. J. Brooks said...

What a blessing that you found the book. Daily God comes through for us is some form or fashion.

My favorite scripture is Eph 3:20. Now unto him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think according to the power that worketh in us.

I love the "think" portion of the scripture, for often I just think I would like to see this or that happen, and it does.

God is so GOOD.

May He minsiter to you and bless you during the coming days and especially during this much needed rest period.

Many Blessings
B.J. Brooks
(Robinson)

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Just Me said...

Milton, I am so glad you found that autographed copy! It was just for YOU! How good God is!

I hope your sabbatical will heal your spirit, soul and body. God bless you.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Kathy Collard Miller said...

Milton, keep feeling!

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

How fitting that you should have the last thing she ever wrote to treasure. I'm so glad you now have the best autographed copy out of them all as your personal treasure.

May God renew you and the other two pastors in spirit, body, soul, and mind. Relax and let Him. Reread, rethink, and revisit all those memories. This is all part of the healing process. God bless.

When I lost my baby sister, I had to write it out. Sometimes, I still want to write about her and our happy times together as kids.

Barb

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Dykes,

I'm sitting here with tears overflowing!!! Yes, GOD IS SO GOOD!!! Wednesday's find was truly a miracle. God knew exactly what you needed and supplied that need. I am honored to have gotten to know Kristy, you and your family through this blog. Though I've never personally met you, I've known of you'll for many years via Don and Sandra. This blog is truly an inspiration to me and has become a part of my daily devotion. Thank you!!!!

I pray God will keep you safe and continue to comfort you during this trying time.

Sharon

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God for that signed book. God knew your heart and gave it to you. still praying for you , and will pry for the other 2 pastor's.
Mimi

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord Jesus, I lift up Milton, the two discouraged pastors, my pastor and those I know and don't know. They are men called according to your purpose. Though often times circumstances don't make sense, may their eyes, ears and heart see, hear and know that You are in the midst of the details. You are their to set them free of whatever burden weighs them down. You are their to be heard. You shine your Light so that they can see the path. May each take themselves out of the equation and replace it with YOU. You make our burden light but will never play tug-of-war with what we carry. (you'd always win) Instead, You have given to us free will to either hang onto the burden or let it go. You have given each person a choice to either hear Your direction or follow our own. May they chose to know that YOU are bigger and have called them to obey your Word. To follow You. To allow pride to crumble so that your MIGHTY, humble spirit can take over and direct the vessesl in the way we should go. In Jesus name, amen

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger jamichilders.com said...

Well Mr. Dykes they say your barber knows everything, however I am begining to think otherwise. I pray you will find some time to relax while you are away. You have had to be strong for everyone for a while now. Remember do not get any (bad haircuts) while you are gone!Ha Ha! We will miss talking to you during your haircuts. I was thinking you were about due for a cut soon & was looking forward to seeing you. So we will see you when you return. We will keep up with you on the Blog. Thank you for teaching us so much with your story. It has been so long since I have been inspired to be a better person to be a better Mom & Wife & most of all to complain less & to be more thankfull more. We are all examples for those around us. I just wish I would have started to read the blog sooner! Thank you, Jami

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings Milton...
...for days my computer was "sick & in the shop"..today it's restored! Ha..ha..ha..
Good News that you are taking your rest..for a season..and rightly due you! We are praying for you... always... as are many pastors & wives. Thanks for sharing the "Miracle..Signed Copy.." with us. What a treasure to cherish! Maybe Kristy..somehow..knew..in a divine spiritual sense that her scripture & comments were going to make a difference in a 'special life'.. & so it has!!!!! You are a very special "HERO".. so how fitting were her words..erased w/ white-out until she got it right.. because that's just how Kristy was always! You are a very blessed man. We are praying for you and the pastor friends... "Lord..let your Holy Spirit come to each of these fine men of God..touch their lives fresh and anew this day. Let a 'new fire from heaven' be given to their hearts and minds as YOU alone work on their behalf the Victory of their Battles. Thank you... O, Lord for being faithful to each of them and may they be encouraged "to continue to fight the good fight of faith.." for your Word declares..."No weapon formed against them (pastors) shall prosper.." You DO all things WELL.. & nothing they face has caught you..O, Lord by surprise. Give them extra added strength in body, soul, mind, spirit, and finances...in Jesus Name I pray...Amen & Amen
With love to you and the family...
Steve & Darlene
Columbia, SC

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Wow, what a blessing to hear about the autographed book. I am sure the Lord saved that for you, to encourage you at this time.

As a pastor's wife I know how challenging it is to serve the Lord in this way. Thanks for reminding everyone to honor their pastor by praying for him. He and all the family need the prayers of those they serve.

I am praying for times of refreshing for you.

Blessings,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, I'm so glad you found that book ... or it found you. That was a special grace note.
Two weeks since her service, I'm still trying to realize it's real. It's more surreal. You know what I mean. Still keeping you and the girls and rest of the family in my thoughts and prayers, Kathy

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

We do serve an awesome God, don't we?

Milton, I can't begin to tell you what a blessing and encouragement this blog is to me. Maybe even more so now.

I told you before that Kristy was one of the first authors to encourage me and confirm that I could indeed write.

We interviewed her on Novel Journey and shared links. We often visited each others blogs.

We hugged in Nashville.

But ever since her journey began with brain cancer, I came here daily. And I still do. I can't end my day without a visit.

It's my encouragement and blessing. God is still using Kristy and He's using you here, too.

I end each visit here with a prayer for you. Today I added one for my pastor, too.

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a blessing!! What a precious gift, it really bothered me that you didn't have a signed copy. Kristy is still loving you from above.

Teresa from AL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home