Thursday, August 21, 2008

A HERO IN ROCKY MOUNT

Milton, here for Kristy:

Real heroes are rare. I love people who have principle and commitment regardless of the cost. We need more heroes who won't cave in when things get tough and the winds are blowing in their faces.

We have a number of heroes in our family who served our country in WWII. Uncle James, Uncle Junior, Uncle Billy, and my father and maybe others I am not aware served our country with distinction as part of the greatest generation. Oh, that God would bless us again with the conviction of courage and faith these men and women exhibited.

Uncle Junior served on the Aircraft Carrier Bunker Hill and was a radioman on an airplane that flew 21 missions. The Bunker Hill was attacked many times by Japanese kamikaze pilots who eventually hit the carrier killing over 300 men. This picture was taken of the Bunker Hill on May 11, 1945, moments after kamikaze planes crashed on the flight deck.

"My pilot was killed in the ready room when a kamikaze plane exploded on the deck of our carrier just above the ready room. I would have died too except for God's grace," Uncle Junior told me.

My dad told me that it was their praying mother that saw them through the war. Uncle James served on the Battleship Iowa and was engaged in several battles at sea.

So many brave young men died for our freedoms. Oh, God, please touch our Nation today with faith and courage for the right.

Aunt Helen is from Finland and they met in Oregon while the Bunker Hill was there being repaired. Their home is filled with faith, love, and delicious comfort food. Maybe the twinkie trail ended here. We'll see.

I left Rocky Mount on Wednesday and I am in Manteo, NC, with Ron and Judy Denham. They are ministers too and life long friends and family by marriage.

My new laptop will not let me upload videos and the pictures aren't spaced right. I need lessons on how to use a MacBook. Hopefully, I can get this corrected and post more photos.

My trip from Rocky Mount to Manteo on Wednesday took some intriguing turns as I stopped in Plymouth for lunch. All of these small towns have a uniqueness to them that catches an inquiring eye.

I miss Kristy so terribly. She would have enjoyed my stops yesterday and the quaint diner where I had lunch. Oh, the memories. Oh, the memories. Sweet memories.

10 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Hi Milton,
Sounds like you are having a very interesting journey! Thanks for sharing these stories. My father also fought in WWII. He was in the Pacific and had several close calls. He married my mom after the the war and then I came along after that. Good thing he made it, or I wouldn't be here! : )

Now our son is in the Marines and training to go over to Iraq next month for a 6-month deployment. I am going to be the praying Mom, learning even more about trusting the Lord to cover my son and see him through.

Did you read Chip MacGregor's blog on Aug 20th that mentioned Kristy? Here is the link:http://chipmacgregor.typepad.com/

You are in my prayers as you travel and take time to rest and be restored.

Blessings from,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our Dear Milton,
Your travels are so inspiring, as you so willingly share about your friends and family. I have family members, my Dad especially, whom have shared countless stories from the past that continue to inspire and intrigue me. The stories of WWII, those that survived, and of those who did not. The courage and faithfulness that it took for each of them to make it through!
Milton, that brings me to you. You are exhibiting such courage and faithfulness as you "travel" new roads. I know that longing is there to share every single thing with Kristy. You two shared everything for 37 years, and it isn't easy to stop. It has been one month ago today, that your beloved entered heaven's gates. In one month, you've come so far. In one more month, you'll go farther, still. It's one day at a time, one hour, one minute and one second. Remember that song, "ONE DAY AT A TIME, SWEET JESUS - that's all I'm asking from you. Help me today to do everything that I have to do......"
You Are! Be blessed. I'm praying, along with many, many others out there today!
Your blog is such a blessing!

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Just Me said...

Milton - my father and uncles also served in WWII. You're right when you say they were the greatest generation! I agree with you that this country needs some of that determination and fortitude.

I just said a prayer for you. I know you're missing Kristy. I'm glad you're keeping busy and active though. I'm sure it isn't easy to get out of bed some mornings.

Keep on keeping on!

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tribute to the WWII veterans and prayers for our nation and troops. My son is a Marine and will be deployed for the 5th time to Iraq in the Fall. I'm another praying mother. God bless you.

Meditate on Psalm 138:8
"The Lord will work out His plans for my life...For your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever. Don't abandon me, for you made me."

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the notes of encouragement. Every word refreshes me.

Scarlett, Psalm 138:8 is one of my life verses. Your including it is a remember of God through you of His faithfulness to me.

Another life verses of mine is Romans 15:13, "Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you might abound in hope through the power of the Holy Spirit."

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I, too, am so thankful for our brave women and men who served so selflessly during World War II.

After my parent's deaths I found all of my father's love letters to my mother while he was in the Navy during that war.

Memories, very precious memories. Though sometimes bittersweet, they also minister to our loss and longings.

Christ's Peace & Love to you and your family,

Kate.

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Milton, I enjoyed your post today. You are in my stomping grounds. I have kin folk in Plymouth and June 19 40 years ago Gary walked down the street in Manteo with a gentleman whom he did not know and talked for about 3-4 blocks. Come to find out it was Andy Griffith the actor. Gary and I were married in Wanchese Assembly. Our rehearsal dinner was at the Elizabethian Motel. My folks lived in Manteo for several years. Enjoy you stay up there. Also tell Judy and Ronnie hello for us. Get Ronnie to tell you what he used to do when we lived next door to each other. Several times I would come home from work for lunch and find Ronnie sneaking our bread and peanut butter.
You are still in our prayers
Love
Gary & Ida Finch

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I say that I am very thankful for this blog. Today and yesterday I've been very down, as I lost my Daddy recently, and I loved him so very much. His death was very sudden, very unexpected. My Mother and I have been going through his things, giving some away and donating others. It's so emotional, so heart wrenching. I opened up this blog tonight and when I read that scripture from Psalms that you shared Scarlett, then Milton you shared yet another life scripture in Romans, it's like my whole body sighed in relief. I know I am going to make it, and I know where my precious Daddy is. These tough moments we go through are just TOUGH...that's all I can say. Then, the sun shines again, then the clouds come....it's all the process of letting go, and continuing to lean on those everlasting arms of Jesus.
Thank you, Milton for your heart that you share. So many are hurting and needing to "hear" what I heard tonight. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Cathy

 
At 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, my mother's favorite song was "Precious Memories". Now it's mine.

My husband and I will soon celebrate 37 years of marriage, Lord willing. I can't imagine life without him, yet we have talked often about one of us one day having to go through what you are experiencing, unless Jesus returns first. Your blog continues to bless us. Thank you.

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

Great tribute to our war heroes. I love small towns, too, especially visiting and touring them. Recently, I enjoyed touring St. Augustine, FL. I understand exactly what you mean that Kristy would've enjoyed your stops. She's probably watching you enjoy them and glad to know you're carrying on.I so enjoy traveling with my husband and taking in new sights.

I love small-town life. May God bless you and your family.
Barb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home