Tuesday, August 19, 2008

THE TWINKIE TRAIL LEADS TO ROCKY MOUNT


Milton, here for Kristy:


Kristy loved chocolate. All her family loves chocolate. Her nana made this best chocolate pie in the world and then Rebecca took up the standard when their nana passed. 


Let’s hear it for chocolate! 


I’m not going to become a rollie pollie kind of guy. I’ve always kept in reasonably descent shape, but this twinkie stuff is ruining everything. 


Tennis, bicycling, running, walking, yard work, basketball and all other sports have been part of my lifestyle, but I have been on a nine month roller coaster that has altered every part of my life and changed every routine. 


I’ve done the 15 K (9.3) River Run in Jacksonville a number of times  until that last two years and plan on running the next race in March or whenever it is. I’ve always finished in the top 3rd of the runners and haven’t thrown up yet. Sorry for that info. The lack of running contrasted against the increase of twinkies does not make for a good equation.


So, how did I get hooked on Twinkies? Is it comfort food, or part of this a romantic osmosis I’ve gone through? Or some kind of temptation in the wilderness? Or am I just confused? Don’t answer that last one.


Well, the twinkie trail has led to Rocky Mount, NC, to visit Uncle Junior, one of my dad’s brothers. Aunt Helen cooked the most delicious meal you could imagine and topped it off with Granny Dykes’ pecan pie. Wow! That should free me from twinkies.


Now, don’t sit there so smug like you don’t have some kind of twinkie problem. I’ll deal with my twinkies and you can deal with....


Maybe I’ll become a twinkie theologian or apologist. Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word....and an occasional twinkie. Oops.


My grandfather Dykes died when dad was four years old. Dad was one of nine children that Granny Dykes raised alone during the great depression. Can you imagine? She made it without her spouse and if she made it then by His grace I can make it too.

9 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, When I was 40, a close friend of the same age died of an anurysm. He owned a BBB restaurant. For the next month, I craved BBQ morning, noon, and night. And so I ate it. Who can explain these things?

The Twinkies are temporary, I predict. In the meantime, they are comfort food! Follow their trail, brother......

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

I can't relate to twinkies, but chocolate, especially dark chocolate can be my undoing. Peanut Butter M&M's are also wicked. Chocolate pie is a whole new experience for us since we moved to the south, as are a number of other extra sugar and fat laden delights. I'm certain the twinkie phase will fade away, but where will you find a pecan pie to rival Grandma Dykes recipe?
And then it will be back to the gym and the endorphins will come from exercise and not twinkies. Gotta get there myself (to the gym, not the twinkies display). This won't last forever (hopefully), but I'm glad to see that you're spending this time with loved ones who just want to love all over you.
Blessings,

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

Dh and I had some wonderful barbecue in Rocky Mount. We loved our trip one summer to Charleston and Savannah. We were careful not to turn our backs on that secret passage in the Pirates House restaurant,

http://www.thepirateshouse.com/index.htm

didn't want to wake up out at sea. Fascinating places. Have a good trip.

God bless~

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

Like your grandma, you will make it too because you are not really alone. Hugs!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Donita K. Paul said...

Ah, Twinkies are not my failing. I laughed out loud at your post, Milton. Let us not talk about chocolate covered almonds, any cookie that does not contain coconut, and most ice creams. Who needs a craving for Twinkies? You take the Twinkies, and I'll keep 80% of the other mega-coloric foods covered for you.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger One Mother with Cancer said...

When I was 11 I had surgery to remove my apendix, when I woke I asked for twinkies!!! Who would have known that I would have a violent reaction to the anesthetic!! Oh well it was worth it.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

I must admit. There's nothing quite as delectable as a fresh Twinkie. I had my own battle with the little things in years past, but, as someone already predicted, you'll move on past 'em in time. In the meantime, eat to your heart's content. You deserve a Twinkie or two.

Speaking of chocolate, my mother makes a mean chocolate pudding that will have you licking the bowl. It's served warm, and layered with vanilla wafers or graham crackers.... yum-o!

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now if you really want to be decadent, find a restaurant that serves "deep fried" twinkies!

I agree with the previous reader, follow that twinkie trail, especially when it leads to those that love you..God's so good to have a trail of family along the way to give you comfort, along with their specialty "comfort" foods!

Jesus is near...ALWAYS!

In Christ,
Evonne
Chico CA

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

As you said, with God's grace, you'll make it, as your grandmother did. God sends us His Comforter. I can't imagine raising nine children without a husband during the depression. Talk about a strong woman. God was with her. He saw her through, and He'll see you through, too. We're never really alone, though sometimes we feel that way, at least until we feel His Holy Spirit and realize we were never alone. Thank God none of us walk through this world alone.

Blessings,
Barb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home