Friday, November 09, 2007

PRINTING UP MY NOVEL

I am printing up my novel as I type these words, in case I die or go blind, and my family will have it. I don't think those two things will happen. I have faith that the Lord is going to see me through, no matter how deep the waters I am about to go through. But when you've been told you have brain cancer with no warning signs whatsoever, it makes you think all kinds of thoughts. Jesus is my healer, and that is what I'm standing on. I want this novel printed out, because I have probably 15 versions of it. I've started it over and over and over. It's a contemporary story with a concurrent story running through it set in the 1940s and 1950s. It's a story of grace and goodness and darkness and pain, and I'm praying it will get published.

As I type, my left eye feels like a knife is stuck in it. Great cause for concern. This morning, at 8, we are all leaving to go to the neurosurgeon's office. That is the next step in this journey--no, nightmare--I've been thrust into, since Wednesday when I was diagnosed with a high definition glioma in the brain. That stinker of a doctor didn't tell me the name of the cancer. He knew I'd google it. I only found out last evening when my eye doctor called. She was the one who diagnosed me Tuesday afternoon with one quarter loss of right periphereal vision in both eyes and then ordered an MRI. Of all the thoughtful, intelligent, calm questions I asked the neuroradiologist Wednesday evening after the MRI when he was delivering the diagnosis, I forget to ask, "What is the name of my cancer?" He kept calling it malignant brain tumor, and that threw me off. When the eye doctor told me the name last evening, after looking at a couple of websites, I was more keenly aware of how bad this is.

The neuroradiologist said that, if between the time I leave him on Wednesday and the time I get the biopsy which he said needed to be done Thursday or Friday at the very latest, that I I get a headach, faint, throw up, or one other thing I can't think of right now, that I'm to rush to ER. This morning at 4:30 a.m., I awoke with a stabbing headache. I waited until six then got my husband and family members up, and we decided that since we are leaving at 8 a.m. to go to my neurosurgeon's, we would just go there rather than ER.

So, soon we will be heading out the door to No Man's Land, meaning, I don't know what's about to happen to me. I'm a take-charge, locomotive woman who likes to plan and then carry out the plans, and this time, I have no control over anything.

Last night before we all went to bed, we plopped down in the family room and put two CDs in the stero of ministers quoting the healing and faith-building scriptures of the Bible. Very, very comforting. Then we all knelt around the big zebra-striped ottoman and prayed. Hard.

As I type, I'm looking at a wooden plaque below my computer screen. It says, "Lord, help me to remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I together can't handle." Below those words are these: "An old preacher's greeting to each new day."

It was my father's, and it's always had special meaning to me.

Today, it really has special meaning.

I'm glad I woke up early, even though pain was the alarm clock. It gave me time to post these thoughts.

19 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Lauralee Bliss said...

I am so sorry, Kristy. Praying for your complete recovery. God is in control. You're such a special lady. Love you.

Lauralee Bliss

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy,

Praying for a complete recovery. You've been added to our church prayer list. May God be with you and your family during this trying time.

In Christ,

Michelle D. Rodgers

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kristy and family,

We are still praying hard today, and will continue! We've asked our family and friends near and far to pray and add you to their prayer lists. We all are lifting you up in prayer right now.

Love,
Dawn & Skip Scott

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Richard L. Mabry, MD said...

Kristy,
Just back from a two week trip, combined vacation and speaking in churches. Out of email and computer contact and only now catching up on blogs. So very, very sorry to hear about the tumor. I'm praying for excellent medical care for you, the best possible outcome, strength for you and your family, and God's provision of all your needs during this trying time.
I'll be watching the blog. Maybe Milton can keep us informed.
We love you, lady. Be strong.
Blessings,
Doctor Richard

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Andi said...

I hope that you are alright. I have only just now learned of you but think you are pretty special.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Kristy,

I am praying for you. May God continue to grant you the "peace that passes all understanding."

God's blessings on you,
Pam from Turkey

P.S.(I often comment along with you on the girlswriteout blog)

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy,

I will be checking your blog and praying. I hope you or Milton or one of your daughters will keep us posted as you are able. Our church prayer team is lifting you up and asking God to carry you and your family through these challenging days. God is able to give you all that is needed. Nothing can separate you from His love. I'm sending my love and prayers,
Carrie

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

Kristy,
I'm praying dear one. What a shock this has been. But all our days have been written in God's book before any have come to pass, the good and the bad. He will take you through this and will not leave you alone in your trial. He has promised to never leave us or forsake us. I'm claiming healing for you, dear sister.

Many hugs
((((((((((Kristy))))))))))))

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I'm praying that our Father, Jehovah-Rapha, will heal you, Kristy. I'm praying peace and comfort for you all. Then I'm sending cyber-hugs. :o)

Ane

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Mindy Obenhaus said...

Many prayers being lifted for you here in Texas. Prayers for healing and peace. God is with you.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Story and Logic Media Group said...

Prayers from Ohio. All brain tumors are not alike. And where they are makes a difference. I pray for the skill and knowledge of your doctors and for God's peace to continue as he is in this journey with you.

Blessings to you and your family.

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy,

I'm sending up prayers for you and yours. Remember only one pair of Footprints are in the sand right now.

Sandra

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Peg Brantley said...

Kristy,

My prayers are shooting up for you, your family, and your medical team.

Peg.

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kristy,

I woke up this morning with you on my mind. I know we've never met, but we're AWSA sisters and if there is anything I can do during this difficult season, I hope you will contact me. My email address is dayle@dayleshockley.com. I'm live in the far north part of Houston, but am within 40 minutes of M.D. Anderson, should that be a place you seek treatment. My home is open.

Kind regards,
Dayle

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Lena Nelson Dooley said...

I go to sleep every night with prayers for you on my lips.

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy,

You and your family are in my prayers.

In Christ's Love,

Lisa Buffaloe

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger The Imaginary Blog said...

Praying for you! God's hand is on you.

Janet S

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy and Milton,
Tommy and I were blown away by this news. Our love and prayers are with both of you. We have our church also praying for you. Claim Psalm 121. Our help and strength come from the Lord. We will be checking your blog daily and I know Uncle Oscar will also keep us posted.
Love and prayers,
Linda Reece
Birmingham, Alabama

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Vickie McDonough said...

Kristy,

I'm praying for you, so is my mom. Praying that God will comfort you and your family and heal you.

Hugs!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home