Saturday, January 05, 2008

THE HAND OF GOD...

Milton, here:

Several Christmases back our daughters gave us an oversized painting of The Finger of God from Michelangelo's The Creation of Adam. It is a wonderful reminder of God's hand and touch reaching out to us. His mighty awesome hand is strong and yet tender toward us.

A few months back one of the faithful Bible teachers in our church, Nell Davis, shared Isaiah 41:16 with me and told me how this verse had impacted her life.

It reads:

Isa. 41:13 For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, Saying to you, ‘Fear not, I will help you.’


This verse became a powerful word in my spirit as I felt led to quote it number times in sermons I preached weeks before the trial of our faith. In fact I asked our congregation to write this Scripture location in the front of their Bibles for future reference. I told them that there would come a time when you will need to stand on this verse and you will need to be able to reference it quickly.


Little did I know that I would need it as much as anyone when we walked through Kristy's struggle for life and death. God prepared me to know that His hand and finger reaches out to help us and strengthen us.


At my lowest point two days after her surgery when I didn't know how I could face this trial, I felt God's hands go way down beneath me on both sides of me. He reached down far below me beyond all the muck and mire, fear and hurt, and gently began to pull me up. He revealed Himself in a new and real way as my God and my Lord. He removed fear from me and He has helped me. His Holy Hand has been faithful.

God has extended His Hand to our family over and over in these past weeks by His Word, His Holy Spirit, and His loving hands through His Body, the Church.

3 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks for writing this article, Milton. Now, every time I pass that painting in our hallway, it will be a poignant reminder of God's hand on us as we face this situation.

Love you, Milton. Kristy

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy and Milton,

That is also one of my favorite verses. Thanks for reminding me of God's promise.

Blessings,
Carrie T.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Becky said...

I'm catching up on reading your blog.

This picture has long intrigued me. Then someone pointed out how Adam's hand is limp and rather lifeless. It is God's hand that is actively extended and reaching. We are so like Adam. We say we want God's touch, but we don't often fully reach out to Him. If Adam would just put in an ounce of effort, he would be touching God. We need to go that extra step to meet Him.

Thanks for keeping up with posting to this blog updates on Kristy and words of inspiration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home