Wednesday, April 02, 2008

SAILING WITH THE WIND IN YOUR FACE


I recently preached a message entitled Contrary Winds and Unusual Faith from Matthew 14 which includes the story of Peter walking on the water. Don't worry I not about to preach, but I thought I would pontificate a moment...

The disciples were toiling against the wind as they crossed the Sea of Galilee. Then Jesus appeared walking on the water and Peter chose to step out of the boat and to go to our Lord.

His faith exceeded the norm as he was the only disciple to venture out of the boat in contrary winds and waters. While Peter almost sank in the waters with a momentary lapse of faith, the fact is he made it through the help of Christ's outstretched hand.

Everyone will face contrary winds sooner or later. You can't sail life's seas without some wind along the way blewing both at your back and sometimes in your face. Most of our marriage the wind has been at our back which makes for easier going, but recently the winds have been hitting us square in the face. I'm not a sailor, but I've learned through a few minor attempts at it that it is possible to sail into the wind--it just takes a little more effort, skill, and perseverance.

I have been amazed more than once at Kristy's unusual faith and her most positive spirit. Both of us have struggled at times, but God has given gifts of faith when needed to keep our hearts and minds.

We've had to not only sail into the wind, but a few times it seemed we had been thrown out of the boat and the waves were boiling over. The Lord has been there to pick us up just before we started to sink. He is ever faithful.

A pastor friend, David Arnold, recently emailed an article that included the following poem.


"How stupid life is!" said the mole.
"This earth is a dull dirty hole!
I eat, I dig, I store.
But I find it all a bore!"


The lark sang high in the blue;
"How sweet is the morning dew!
How clear the brooks, how fair the flowers,
I rejoice in this world of ours."

Why be a dirty, grumbling mole when you can fly high and sing like a lark!

5 Comments:

At 4:54 AM, Blogger SRI said...

It's great the Lord can help you both to stay positive, especially when faced with trials.

By the way, I love your accents, so lovely to hear them. Is it indicative of any particular area?

Lee
Western Australia

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger B. J. Brooks said...

Some days I read your blog and I am so inspired that I talk about the subject all day. Other days your blog is so personal to me that I can't see through the tears as I try to read what you have written.

I had a father in law like yours Kristy, he was the very best and loved me for me, not just because I was married to his son. Long after my huband I had parted Pop would come and stay with me and my new husband. So much love. Love reaches beyond all barriers.

Please keep writing Milton, we are all listening and learning.

Many Blessings
B.J. Brooks
Robinson

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

I agree, you are such an inspiration. Praying!

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I appreciate your wise words, Milton.

How is Kristy feeling this week?

We are praying for you tonight.
Love,
Carrie

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, please update us on how Kristy is feeling?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home