Friday, March 07, 2008

WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE?

Milton, here:

We are living in a surreal world. Kristy has been told she has a few months to live due to GBM brain cancer. She has recovered from brain surgery and is getting stronger after 30 radiation treatments which were so hard to overcome. We are trusting God and facing life one day at a time.

Now she is having good days. She can't read as fast. She can't drive. Her thinking processes become labored as the day progresses. But she is perky, sassy, and right ready to get on with life.

She has amazed me how she has faced all these issues. She has such a peace and joy. Today she was up around 5 AM and wrote most of the day on her book projects. She is slower but writes with great determination and commitment.

I wondered what she would change in her life patterns once she began to recover and knowing what the doctors have said? What would be different in her daily routine? How would she change?

She really hasn't surpised me. She isn't doing anything different than she has done all these years. She begins every day with a commitment to be her best. I say that as a tribute to her and her faithfulness to those dear to her, to life in general, and most of all--to the Lord.

She is truly one amazing lady.

What would you do differently if you had been told that you had just a few months to live? That is a very hard question.

9 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Milton,

Wonderful post. Kristy is inspiring so many of us.

I think I would do what Kristy is doing. Live the life I now live. I think we stay on the path God has called us to, and maybe, take it up a notch.

Blessings to you both!

Rachel

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

I agree with Rachel, very inspiring. The only thing I would change is to quit the day job so I could write more and be with family more.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Richard L. Mabry, MD said...

I think Kristy is mirroring the thoughts of Isaac Asimov: "If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn’t brood. I’d type a little faster."

As I have learned, none of us knows how many months, days, or even hours we have left in this life. I believe Kristy is doing what any of us would and should do: live them to the fullest in a way that would please God.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy and Milton,
Kristy - you look beautiful. I am thrilled to hear you are working on your writing, even if it is going a little slower. I am glad you are enjoying better days and making the most of them with the people that you love. I am so grateful for your faithful example of pressing on to follow where the Lord is leading you. I am praying for you today.

Love and prayers,
Carrie

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy & Milton,
Honestly I cannot say what I would do. I could only hope and pray to have the courage and faith that you have had. Every day as I read your post I follow up with a prayer for you. I just would love to give you a hug some days.
In His Grip,
Margaret

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

If I was told I had a short time to live, I've always believed I would do the same thing. For sure, I wouldn't want to spend it going from doctor to doctor, hosptial to hospital, undergoing experimental treatments, hoping for a "cure." To me, that is not living. I don't fault those who choose to do that, but my thinking is that Jesus is the Great Physician. If He chooses to heal me, wonderful. If not, I'll just see Him that much sooner, and what could be more wonderful?

Regarding your question, "What would you do differently if you had been told that you had just a few months to live?" That is a tough question, Milton, but one we should address every day, because any day could be our last.

You and Kristy have inspired me to make some changes in my own life. Thank you.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Jennifer Taylor said...

Like Robin has said, I would want to quit my day job. I only work because I have to and I feel like it takes me away from my family and my writing. My dream is to one day be a full-time writer at home. Other than that I'd do what Kristy is doing, be myself, and treasure the days I have.

God bless you,

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Kristy,

You look positively lovely! I'd never guess all that you've been through. We see the hand of the Lord upon you and continue to trust for a complete healing, in JESUS' name.

Pastor Milton,

You posed a great question. What would I do differently if I was told I had a few months to live? My answer is that I'd sure stop sweating the small stuff. Jesus told us 'not to worry about tomorrow for today has enough troubles of its own.' And the enemy's first lie to humankind was, "Surely you won't die." I think the enemy is still trying to convince us of that!

Because of your and Kristy's courage to blog honestly about this journey, I've made changes in my life. And the beauty of it all is, "Absent from the body is present with the Lord."

Love & Prayers,
Nancy

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger SweetAnnee said...

I've gotten closer to God..
Tis the only change..
and i am so happy that
Kristy is doing better..
prayers for all of you
Deena

 

Post a Comment

<< Home