Wednesday, July 09, 2008

our christian love STORY continues

Milton, here for Kristy:

Someone said, "Great stories are written about life with all the dull parts taken out."

That may not be an exact quote, but it is close. We have had some dull patches in our lives, but neither Kristy nor I wanted it that way very long. Even in our differences there has been some fun moments.

Kristy tried many novel ideas to train me. You know, to get me to do it her way. I will admit that I was slow to grasp many of the changes she thought I should make, but we always found a way to work through the issues.

"Please hang your clothes up. Don't leave them on the rocking chair by the bed," she used to say to me. I wasn't a slob, but she was just neater and more efficient than me. I would take my clothes off and lay them on the rocking chair next to our bed with the intent of hanging them up later. Over and over we dwelt with this issue.

One day I came home from church and went into our bedroom to change clothes. "Where is the rocker? That's the rocking chair my Mom rocked me in when I was a baby. It's gone. Who took it? Why did they take it? Where can a lay my clothes?"

Then it hit me.

This is Kristy's creative manner of speeding the learning curve. She has moved the chair and now I will have to immediately hang my clothes where they belong. This woman is brilliant. She moves everything faster. Or does she?

I smiled and looked around the room. There wasn't a chair to be found. There is no bedpost or anything to hang my clothes. Or is there?

Yes, I could see a place to put them. There is a ceiling fan with four blades which has just enough blades to hang clothes. My coat goes on one blade. My tie fits on the next blade. My shirt hangs well on the next one, and my trousers fit the last one. This will prove my point as the "head" of this place.

Now, that ought to do it and the day continued.

No one mentions the clothes. The dinner hour passes and no one discusses the new arrangements for hanging clothes. The day is ending and still all is quiet.

Then the laughter starts, and a lesson is learned. I learned that hanging them once where they should go is actually a more efficient use of energy than doing double work. I learned that fans don't work as good with clothes flying around the room. I learned that when momma ain't happy then nobody is going to be happy.

I can still see the clothes hanging there, and I can still hear the laughter.

Great christian love stories have some bends and turns along the way and the dull parts are taken out of the story.

***

How is Kristy?

Kristy was restless on Tuesday. She hallucinated thinking that she had been kidnapped. She asked Jennifer what could be done to change what was happening. We do all we can to comfort her and to help her know that she is OK.


Julie, Jennifer and I are doing better. God is with us and we feel your presence too.

11 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning,,
This is too funny. Reading what Kristy did to you about clothes does not make me feel so bad about "training" my husband after 27 yrs. Still praying for you all, woke up this morning with all of you on my mind .
mimi

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is pretty hilarious! i think that is a "man" trait to hang clothes on chairs, table or whatever piece of furniture happens to be there. i might try that "lesson" with my husband. :-) it might just work!
well, we are praying for you all. God, please give Kristy, Milton and the rest of the family peace that passes ALL understanding during this time. we know that You are the healer and the peacemaker. minister to them in unusual ways today, Lord. they need you in a mighty way today. thank you, Lord, for being in control of all of this. in Jesus' name, Amen.
we love you milton and kristy. give kristy a hug and kiss from us all!

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger B. J. Brooks said...

Your story is so much like the Kristy I met. She was so active and loved to demonstrate the point she was trying to make. She helped me with my writing by editing my first book and as she read what I wrote she would get up and move around the room showing me what would work and what would not.

I loved the story and your participation. Too cute.

Praying you all have a very blessed day. I'm not at all sure how many times we are told to Rejoice in the Bible but whenever I've just had enough of my day the word Rejoice pops in my head. So please all of you Rejoice today for God is So Good.

Many Blessings
B.J. Brooks
(Robinson)

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, You made a statement yesterday, I believe, that" you have people everywhere". Indeed there are hundreds that come thru your home everyday bringing love, prayers and hope. They also are longing for the touch of your shadow upon their lives and they are not disappointed. Be assured of our prayers for Kristy and you. "...Now unto HIM who is able..."

Gary & Ida Finch

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

I love your understatement here:

"This will prove my point as the "head" of this place....

"I learned that fans don't work as good with clothes flying around the room. I learned that when momma ain't happy then nobody is going to be happy."

I'm laughing so hard.

I'm also remembering my kids' socks flying around their room.... Memories.

Dh is at this moment pulling some strange plug things on an electrical cord out of the beater bar of the vacuum cleaner. He says I should have known those cords were "stowed neatly under the armoire." Another lesson learned, lol.

We've been married 39 years. I knooow God has a sense of humor!

God bless~

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Mary Connealy said...

Great story.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sitting here laughing so hard my sides are hurting. That story is hilarious. I can see the clothes hanging from the fan.

When I was a teen, I'm surprised my mom didn't think of that. I had a penchant for doing the same thing. I'd toss my clothes over the back of my desk chair and my mom was much like Kristy. Clothes belonged in one of three places, in the closet, on my back, or in the laundry. When I went to college I discovered my mom wasn't there and over the back of my desk chair went the clothes. I quickly discovered that too many days of doing that made the chair unusable.

But at least my clothes were better off than my roommate's. She just opened her closet and tossed them on the floor. :-0

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

Okay,

You gave me a good laugh for today with this post. I can just see the clothes flying around the bedroom, and Kristy thinking -- now, he'll get the message :)

I pray Kristy's confusion ends. It must be frightening for her to think she's kidnapped. I'm glad you're doing all you can to comfort her. It must be really hard for you when she's so confused. May God bless you and heal her confusion.

Barb

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Thanks for sharing this fun memory. Kristy is very clever. : )

I am praying her confusion will fade and she will be able to rest and sense the love that surrounds her. I am glad to hear you and the girls are feeling better.

Love and prayers from NJ,
Carrie

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

That was a great memory. Smiles and tears. Praying for healing - strength - and a continued sense of humor.
Blessings,

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Rambling On said...

Very funny story.

I know it must be so frightening for Kristy to be confused like that, and so hard for you all to witness her confusion. How wonderful that she has such a loving family to help her through these times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home