Monday, June 30, 2008

TOO SWEET, TOO FUNNY, SO SACRED

Milton, here for Kristy:

Sunday morning began with uncertainty. What would the day hold? For two hours or more I watched beside Kristy's bed. I called and had others lead our morning worship service and stayed with her and prayed and waited. She had experienced an extremely rough Saturday and had become somewhat unresponsive. There was much concern.

Sometime around 10:30 to 11:00 AM Sunday morning, things changed for the good. For twenty hours or more Kristy had almost no liquids, a fever, and severe confusion. She wouldn't or couldn't take food or water. Last night the hospice nurse was very concerned and not optimistic about what the next day would offer.

Then Kristy wanted water. She began to smile. She began to get clearer in her thoughts. It was as if a miracle was occurring.

I had kissed her during this darkness. A weak, gentle, loving kiss was her only response for hours. But, oh, how sweetly she kissed me back. I told her that she had always been such a great kisser. (Read her past articles on husbands and wives kissing and you'll understand her passion for romance more.)

These were moment to sweet to explain.

Sunday afternoon, a kind couple brought food after church for lunch. They hugged Kristy and told us they had brought fried chicken to eat. As they left Kristy's room, Kristy said, "I want some fried chicken to eat."

AMAZING!

She had not eaten or drank for hours and now she craved fried chicken. Now this is a true Southern Belle pastor's wife for sure!

Later Aunt Joe and her two daughters, Jan and Pam, came to visit. Kristy always perks up for them. She smiled and weakly shared her love. We laughed and told family funnies and had a big time with Kristy grinning right along with us.

Then, I decided to tell Pam, Jan, and Aunt Joe about a funny music tape we have. I told them that we played it through the years when we needed a good laugh.

Now, get that religious smirk off your face or just stop reading if you can't stand a little carnality.

The name of one of the songs is "Heaven Yes, Hell No!"

That's right. I said, "Heaven Yes, Hell No!"

Man, we have laughed over that one. I don't cuss, but we sure like singing the lyrics.

Then I told them another one entitled, "I Thank God for the Preacher, Who Scared Hell Out of Me," and I sang a bit of it.

All of a sudden Kristy spoke up and said, "You have to put a "break" in it."

We all looked at her, but I knew what she was thinking from past times we shared together. I didn't know what she would or could do though.

Then she starts singing it, "I Thank God for the Preacher,

Boom,

Boom,

Boom,...

Who Scared Hell Out of Me!"

We rolled on the floor laughing. It was too funny.

I had gone from early morning wonder?--to sweetness--and now to a moment too funny to truly describe.

As everyone left the room, I held Kristy's hand and sat with her. Time passed. Then I thought I'll play the Scripture readings I have on my Ipod. The Scriptures began to flow. Verses about life, healing, and God's love.

"Amen!" Kristy would whisper.

"Yes," she would say.

"Do you like hearing these verses," I asked.

"They are wonderful," she responded.

So sacred the day ended.

19 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Lisa Taylor said...

We love you, and we're praying!
Mike, Lisa, and MaryLisa

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger A Romantic Porch said...

I'm praying. Sincerely, Rachel Going

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton and Kristy,

Fanny Crosby wrote some time-tested hymns. They are still blessing millions of people today. Your description of your Sunday made me think of "Precious Blessings":

Precious blessings we receive,
When on Jesus we believe,
And are walking in the Spirit day by day;
When His Word is our delight,
And our path is growing bright,
While by faith we learn to trust Him and obey.

Refrain

O praise the Lord, for He is good;
O praise the Lord, our God above,
For He keeps us every hour,
And upholds us by His power,
While we dwell within the sunshine of His love.

Precious blessings that descend,
When before His throne we bend,
And the glory cloud is resting o’er us there;
Every heart with joy is filled,
Every wave of sorrow stilled,
While we feel the hallowed bliss of answered prayer.

Refrain

When the world is overcome,
And its battles fought and won,
When we see our Lord and Savior in the sky;
How our hearts will overflow,
While the rapture we shall know,
When we meet Him in His kingdom by and by.

Refrain

May you feel His presence and rejoice in his blessings today. God is good--all the time. What would we do without him in times like this?

With love and thanksgiving for your faithfulness, and for proclaiming God's goodness when your heart is aching...A sister in Christ

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Rambling On said...

I had to laugh on this one. Kristy showing how the song needed to be sung... with the needed break in the lyrics was quite hilarious. I was actually singing along with her, even though I don't know the song at all. Her demonstration made it perfectly clear how to sing it though. HA! What a funny moment. Laughter always helps.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger april gordon said...

Wow! Isn't God so wonderful!? I continue to pray for Kristy's healing, and for you all as a family.

God is still on His throne.

Love,
April (Reece) Gordon

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

Amazing! I am sitting here with my mouth hanging open. God never stops amazing us. He's saying to Kristy, not yet. You still have some witnessing to do, sweet moments to share with your hero, with your kids and with your family and friends. Moments to attest to on this blog!!! Moments recounting God's faithfulness, forgiveness, and blessing.

God is so good, as Kristy likes to say.

Thank you, Jesus, for your abounding love and sacrifice for us.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Dear Friends,
We are praying for you today. May God's love and strength support you. May dear friends and family stand with you and share your laughter and tears.
Thanks again for blessing us by opening your hearts to us and sharing this sacred journey.

Love and prayers from,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Mary Connealy said...

Such precious moments.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I have to echo Pam Meyers today. She said exactly what I was going to say. I guess God's just confirming it.

As always, I pray for you all.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

A friend sent me this and I wanted to share it with y'all:

Think of stepping on shore and finding it heaven,

Of touching a hand and finding it God's,

Of breathing new air and finding it celestial,

Of waking up in glory and finding it home.

Isn't it wonderful to know all God's children will meet up at home?

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your miracle is coming! Always prayers and good thoughts about you both. :o) Lori in California

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton and Kristy,

When I saw you at General Council, after many years, I had no idea the challenges that you were facing. In speaking with a mutual friend today, I learned of your struggles and your strength, which comes only from the One that gives that kind of strength. You both were a great influence in our lives while we were in Lakeland. We have never forgotten the encouraging touch you had on our lives. Know that you are loved and held before our King.

Lee & Elma Peckinpaugh

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger nanatrish said...

What a special time! Praise the Lord for such special friends and sweet times together. Laughing is so good for you. I continue to pray for Kristy and your family. Love, Trish

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have laughed and cried with you all during this journey. Thank you for being so open. Thank you for sharing your faith, heartache, and joy.

May God pour His abundant blessings on you all.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger THOMBU1 said...

Dear Brother Milton, today is my birthday, and as you know one wish is granted when we blow out the candles, however I did not wish any wish. If I could wish a wish, and know that wishes come true, I would wish that you could have as many years in the future with Kristy as you have had in the past! You both are loved by so many, and wished the best by all. May this day be one of blessing and peace to you both, and my wish is now that all yours may be granted by our gracious God and creator, and by the way there is no religious smirk on my face just a smile born out of the joy this post has given me on this, my birthday. May God continue to bless you all, beloved of God,
I am, your Brother in Christ Jesus,
tom

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, marvelous God we have. Even in our darkest moments, He comes to us. God is giving you precious moments to share with Kristy. I'm so glad Kristy could join in the singing and praise.

Continuing to pray.

Lavada

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

I'm glad Kristy was able to enjoy fried chicken and a good laugh. God is amazing. I'm still praying for her.

Barb

 
At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL....LOVE this!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Marie Bravo said...

Your prayers are already answered.I read Habbukuk 2:11.We have to waite on that appointed time.God is good all the time.We do not understand Gods way always we just have to trust.I love you both.
Marie B.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home