Saturday, July 12, 2008

WHO DID IT?

Milton, here for Kristy:

"Come here, Milton. I need you." Norma called from the kitchen Friday evening.

"I was sitting by Kristy in our bedroom and responded back,"Just a moment. I'm giving Kristy a drink of water."

I walked into the kitchen and Norma pointed toward the coffee maker. "That's the ugliest bug I've ever seen. It's nasty."

Before I could look closely, I thought how could this be? We just paid for major pest control and we've only seen a few bugs in the almost four years we have lived in this house.

But it was ugly and mean looking. I reached for a paper towel and slowly creeped up to it and quickly I had it in my hand. Norma was watching at a distance and I'm trying to squash the bug. It wouldn't squash. I twist it. I smashed it. Nothing happened. I looked closer. It was rubber.

"Someone has played a trick on you," I said to Norma. "Somebody is trying to act like Kristy."

"It wasn't there earlier. I've been working in here," Norma related.

The girls and grands were gone and it was just Norma and me and I didn't do it.

"I've about had a heart attack," Norma says. "Who would did this?"

In a matter of minutes the phone rang and the Julie was on the line. "Somebody just about gave Norma a heart attack," I said. Julie died laughing and told Jennifer about the bug and now both were laughing it up. "Jennifer put it there," Julie said.

In minutes, they all came into the house and we were laughing about the bug incident. Kristy had the biggest smile and grin. The girls were dying laughing and the grands were enjoying the moment too. They had all just returned home from Chick-Fil-A where the kids had their faces painted by a clown.

"Where did you get the bug," I asked Jennifer?

"I found it in the tool box in the pantry," Jennifer answered.

"How did it get there? I didn't put it there," I said.

Jennifer said, "I don't know. Mom must have put it there to try to scare you."

We all looked at Kristy and she had another big smile and grin.

Kristy did it. We asked her how long ago she put it there? She couldn't remember, but it had to be there for months waiting to get me.

Now that is Kristy at her best--make them laugh, make them cry, make them wait.

***

Footnote: If someone had played that trick on Kristy instead of Norma, all of you would have heard the scream. She has scared the wits out of me squealing about a bug or spider. HA!

***

How is Kristy?

She rested most of the day. I was away at the office for several hours and running errands. She smiled so big when I returned. It made me feel great.

This is one special lady. Please keep praying for her and for us.

7 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

Eeewww! Be glad it wasn't in your shoe! What a trickster she is, LOL

Praying for the Lord's richest blessings on all of you today.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger The Write Life said...

Milton, I'm one of Kristy's co-authors and am praying for you all! I absolutely love both of your posts on the blog. You've stepped into the blogger position in such a wonderful way!

Thank you for sharing your heart, experiences, etc. and for letting us get this insight into Kristy's special personality.

Your posts -- both Kristy's from the past and yours from the present -- always make me contemplate my actions, my thoughts, my family.

Today you showed me how important it is to have fun. We've had a very stressful year and the stress is still going strong. But God is good and gets us through each phase and we grow because of it!

But your post showed me that we've been going on survival mode for a long time. I want to make sure we make life fun for our kids and each other on a daily basis, even in the midst of stress and chaos.

Thank you for that reminder!

Paige Dooly

 
At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also wish to thank all of you for the daily glimpse of your wonderful family.

Praying every day for Kristy and all the family.

I am so blessed to have known Kristy and family, even though it is via the Internet.

God is good.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I love a good trick. :D We've had a snake going around ACFW for a while. Brandilyn Collins and Deb Raney dragged me into it and boy, did I have fun! :D

Tell Kristy I said "Good one!"

As always, I'm praying.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger A Romantic Porch said...

Always upholding you and Kristy to our Heavenly Father. Sincerely, Rachel Going

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Deborah Raney said...

Milton and Kristy, oh, how I wish you could have been at the Christy Awards last night. Donna Kehoe gave a lovely tribute to you both in her opening remarks, mentioning the testimony your journey has been to so many. Then she shared how so often she received a sweet note from Kristy with her typical opening: "Greetings from sunny Florida!" She had us all laughing with how that greeting affected her when it wasn't quite so sunny in her part of the country. : ) Know that your Kristy was being thought of and prayed for by all at the Christy awards last night!

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,
The story about the rubber roach had me in stitches. That is just like Kristy to plant a trick and wait for the future surprise. And for sure a rubber bug would be the only insect anyone would find in that lady's house. From the time she married you, she kept a spic-and-span house -- like everything in her life, every corner of her house (even in your tiny first apartment where you could hold out your arms and touch walls on both sides) was clean and sparkling and always ready to welcome guests. We traded tips and learned together how to keep house. I witnessed the spirit of true hospitality bloom in her heart and in her home. Please give her a hug from me. Give yourself and the family one while you're at it.
Love to you all, Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home