Friday, September 05, 2008

FIGHTING THE TWINKIE TEMPTATION

Milton, here for Kristy:

Twinkies are tempting me again!

When I had my first staff meeting Thursday morning since returning to the church I pastor, I sat down at our conference table with my Bible in hand to share deep thoughts from God's Word.

Before we began, my secretary Lorraine said, "I have something for you." She stepped out for a moment and returned with a bag and low and behold there they were--more Twinkies. There was a week's supply to live on.

I won't starve.

I won't die.

I will have food. Are Twinkies food?

There were Twinkies for a least a week after my mom leaves and the cook is out the door.

How do you get rid of temptation? You yield to it, and it leaves. Once you eat those Twinkies, they are gone! Being the nice guy that I am, I shared some of them with my church staff. They are the best!

Lorraine, the lady at the end of the conference table, and her husband were at our wedding. Shirley, our bookkeeper sitting at the right of Lorraine, taught Kristy in our church when Kristy was a little girl. The church has a life-time connection with us. Losing Kristy has impacted all of them too.

***

How am I going to survive on Twinkies? I can't cook. This is a dilemma. 

I looked on the A/G website for cooking concubines. There aren't any listed. I plan on trying the Catholic Church website since their priests are single. They must have some help there.

Just kidding! Ha!

Kristy always said I would need to hire one of those, but I don't have any plans for that because Sam's pre-cooked meals would be cheaper. I have my wedding ring on, and I will wear it with honor and with tribute to my beloved Kristy.

Well, it is better to laugh than to cry about it. I told my church family Wednesday evening that I will cry and have lots of tears before I get better. But I am convinced that I will get better, and that I will make it by God's grace.

I miss my gorgeous gal. I miss her loving touch and busy, helpful hands. Life is different, and it will always be different.

***

Thursday night I went to a high school football game with my friend Don. As I sat there for the first two quarters, I met the older gentleman sitting next to me. Two years ago his wife passed. Amazingly, he knew me and told me he had been praying for Kristy and now me. He told me I would make it. He said he knew how I felt. I knew that he did know how I felt, and that he had genuine, sincere empathy for my place in life.

He told me that Romans 8:28 works. I said that verse was one of Kristy's favorite verses.

"And we know that all things work together for good...."

We talked about his wife and her passing, and I shared about my beloved Kristy. I left the game feeling better and knowing that God's grace is enough.

My friend's team won. It was a good evening.

God is good.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger B. J. Brooks said...

Milton you have a "Team" of your own. An incredible support team of those who know you and LOVE you, and those of us who know you through Kristy's blog and one or two meetings, and love YOU.

Every time you write of your life with Kristy and your daily adventures, you "spill the beans" letting us know How Great our God is and how well he is taking care of you.

Awesome! Keep up the Good Work, God is Good, and you will make it.

Take a cooking class, and share the word as you learn the basics!

Many Blessings,
B.J. Brooks
(Robinson)

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

It sounds like you have a great staff and they must be like family. Twinkies are a great food and ,of course, comfort food always helps me. We continue to pray for you. It will be different, but He is still on the throne.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Kim said...

What a blessing!!! Every day I come here to "check on Milton". Though I may never meet you in person this side of heaven, I look forward to one day hugging you and your precious wife and thanking you both for ministering to me!!

God is so faithful!! Thank you Milton for trusting Him and sharing your heart with us!!

Kim

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton...you delight us...and with heartfelt appreciation...we read each day your journey of honesty! God is on your side...He always has been...Is...and always will be! Be encouraged...walk through this by continuing to share!

Keep that wedding ring on your finger...it probably will not only confirm your commitment to your darling wife...but will protect you from harm's way...it will keep respect for you and your journey in the right place.

We've asked the Lord to place a 'hedge of protection around you each day'... it is in place! It will guard your heart..soul..mind..
and spirit...

"The Lord is carrying you on your path these next days, weeks, months, and years.." Enjoy this beautiful touch on your life. You are being healed, too! Yes...His 'grace touches you' each day... and 'his mercies endureth forever'... God Bless you and keep you.

You are loved and appreciated very much.

Enjoy every Twinkie you can get your hand on...just cause...it's ok!

Love and Prayers...
Steve & Darlene
West Columbia, SC

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

I just read the story Kristy's daughter wrote about her mom at Momstories.org. It's beautiful and made tears flood my eyes. Kristy will be so proud of her husband and daughters.

You make me hungry for a Twinkie, but I could stand to lose weight.

God bless you and yours, and if you and your daughter keep writing, you're picking up where Kristy left off. God bless you both for it.

Barb

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

Have you tried fried twinkies yet? My daughter swears by them (by doesn't eat them very often). I understand that you put the twinkie in a deep fryer, then (after taking it out) put some chocolate sauce over it.
You have a wonderful team both staff at church and your support group of friends and family. You're a blessing to others Milton.
Praying for y'all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home