Sunday, October 26, 2008

AUTUMN LEAVES AND MORE...

Milton, here for Kristy:

I am in Columbia, SC, and am headed to Boone, NC, Monday morning to see Autumn leaves. It may be more Winter leaves than  Autumn leaves as it is going to be in the 20's Monday night. That too cold for a transplant who has lived in Florida for almost thirty years.

thumb365_pue7kA7.jpg

I grew up in North Alabama in the most Southern foothills of the Smoky Mountains. The  Autumn leaves were always spectacular. I moved to Florida in 1980 and have enjoyed 1 and 1/2 seasons each year, but began to miss the other 2 and 1/2 seasons six or seven years back. So the last number of years I have tried to go North far enough to catch a few red, orange and yellow and mixed Autumn colors. They are just spectacular. 

Every life has a Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. I am going through a late Autumn and Winter Season, but I know that Spring will come soon.

Winters are cold, dark, rainy, with loss of color and life. Winters do not have fruit or growth or immediate beauty or blessing. Winter drives one inside and slows the metabolism. No one really wants Winter to go on and on with no promise of conclusion. We prefer a joyful Spring and Summer over any extended feelings for Winter.

Winter removes dead stuff and hard stuff and concludes the frilly commitments of life so that the new can come forward. Winter is vital for life, for nature, for healing to grow through Winter. The mental, emotional, physic, and even the spiritual sides of us  need the deep rest that comes in the death of a winter. Then new shoots of life and beauty can spring forward. 

What season are you experiencing? Do not be afraid, God walks through all seasons.

5 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always hated winter, especially since we moved to Michigan six years ago. We're expecting snow tonight--SNOW in October. Something this Southern girl still has a hard time with. After the first winter here, when we had three blizzards, I made it a point to ask the Lord for a respite from the snow. And for three years, He saw fit to answer that prayer--we only had 53 inches of snow rather than the usual 90 inches one year. That may sound horrible, but I think it shows that the Lord is in the small stuff, even if its something as simple as snow.


But as much as I hate winter, I love waking up on Thanksgiving and finding snow on the ground. For some odd reason, having snow during the Christmas season reminds me of those old Currier and Ives paintings.

And Spring is my absolute favorite season! But what I consider Spring is about two weeks here in Michigan. That's when I miss Georgia the most.

 
At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just in Blowing Rock, NC this weekend (its about 20 mins from Boone heading down the mountain) and the colors were amazing. It will be chilly but it will be beautiful. God certainly blessed us with this beautiful area of our land.

Enjoy your trip - and drive carefully.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

Good for you, Milton. Nothing clears the head and soothes the soul like God's magnificent creation.

I'm leaving on a road trip tomorrow with my twin and her husband, looking for leaves, too. I'm on medical leave from work, so I figure...why not?

Initially, they were headed to North Alabama, but they've changed the plans some. Pigeon Forge may be the destination. It's one of those get-in-the-car-and-see-where-we-land type trips. Should be fun...if I can get sis to let me ride in the front seat some!!

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

Milton, I roared at the picture in your previous post. Now that's a smile!

I agree with my sis (above comment) that nothing is more inspiring and refreshing than the handiwork of God. I marvel at it every day. My husband and I (and sis) are heading up that way tomorrow. I had friends who just came back and said the leaves are in fine form. We're supposed to get some of those 20-temps while we're gone, which is a bit chilly for this Texas gal, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I agree with what you said about seasons and have written many times about the various seasons that make up our lives. I think the most important thing that I learn in those winter seasons is patience.

Here's wishing you a pleasant trip. Thanks so much for sharing your journey with all of us. We care.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger squiresj said...

The season I am experiencing is empty nest and I am not adjusting well.
I am not wishing for winter. I have no kids so the fun is gone now. I even miss all the wet clothes, snowmen, popcorn, playing games, etc. It is so lonely. Gas prices keep me from even going anywhere.
God Bless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home