Friday, October 17, 2008

THE FLAG MARKS THE SPOT?

Milton, here for Kristy:

I have read and studied the Bible all my life. It would be hard to guess how many times I have read it through, yet every step of my journey unfolds new and deeper meaning of God's Word. Now that Kristy is in heaven, I will admit that I think of heaven more. My mind spins wondering what she is doing there. 

Hebrews 12:1 tells us about the witnesses in heaven that are over us as a cloud. Amazing! Thrilling! Awesome! What a concept--a cloud of witnesses.

She can see me. I believe that there is a cloud of witnesses in heaven watching us. A "witness" is someone who has seen or is aware to definitive degree about situations and circumstances. A witness basically is someone who has a real record of what has happened. 

So, I believe Kristy is a real witness of what is happening. 

Let me tell you something funny that happened in a very tough part of this journey. The day I had to go to the cemetery to identify the specific plot Kristy was to be buried was unbelievably hard, yet in a quirky way something funny happened.

The person assigned to take me to identify the plot suggested that since is was so unbearably hot that we just stay in the car and she would point to the grave spot as we watched and we would nod our heads and the site would be noted for burial. I had already bought the plot so this seemed a reasonable thing to do as it was blazing hot. They had a legal description of the site and knew exactly where she was to be buried.

As we walked out the door toward our car to go to the grave site, I felt impressed that I should actually get out of the car and stand on the site with the cemetery official and told Terry, Kristy's brother, that we should stand on the site location and see the site. He agreed.

As we drove to the area of her grave, the lady leading us in a golf cart drove by the site, and I told Terry that she had passed it. He wasn't sure and then she got out and I thought that I was mistaken. We stood over the grave and she put a flag marker to note the correct grave and then she left. This was the spot Kristy would be buried.

Terry and I looked around for her parent's graves which were close by except that their graves were missing. No, they weren't missing. This wasn't the right spot. The lady had the marker in the wrong place.

I yelled out to her as she was driving off in the distance and called for her to come back. She stopped and turned around and then stood with us. I said that this isn't the right place that you have marked for Kristy. She looked around and finally agreed that a mistake has been made. 

Wow! 

Kristy was almost put in the wrong spot. Can't you imagine what that could have been like to get to the grave service and find out she was being put in the wrong spot. Can you imagine what she would have said to me when I got to heaven if she was placed in the wrong grave?

Finally we got the correct site and placed the flag marker again into the ground.

As Terry and I got into the car, I said, "Terry do you know what just happened?"

"What?" he replied.

"Well, as we walked out of the office to get into the car, Kristy leaned over to the Holy Spirit and said, 'Tell Milton to check the site location out. They are about to bury me in the wrong spot!' 

Terry, Kristy was watching and wouldn't let me do this wrong!"

I can't prove that is what happened, but I believe there is a cloud of witnesses watching. I believe Kristy is watching. Grace and Udell are watching. My grandparents and Kristy's grandparents are watching. Many others who are dear to us are watching. They all are rooting us on to victory.

I am home alone tonight. It is hard. The house is quiet--too quiet. But Jesus is here, Mr. Green is here,  and there are witnesses watching and waiting for us to cross the finish line.

Kristy won! 

I will win too!

One final thing, I haven't had one desire to go back to her grave, not once. There would be nothing wrong with going there. Many find comfort in visiting the resting places of their loved ones. I respect that and understand.

I drive passed the cemetery often as it is just up the street from the church I pastor, but I have not been drawn there. Kristy is in heaven. She is not in that grave. She is watching me. That is enough for me.

9 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny reading this--even more funny watching you tell the story with the gestures....

Kristy probably really enjoyed watching you pull off the dinner party Tuesday!

Love you,

Sis

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband of many years passed away in January 2004, Kristy came to his service, anyway many times I would be drawn to the cemetery. Even after I remarried in 2007.

And each time when I would arrive there the flowers that were placed earlier in the vase would be missing. Perhaps the wind or another service nearby and they would have to be removed for the equipment to get in.

I'm not quite sure what draws me there, I just go, however; I really like your explanation of the witnesses Milton.

Have a blessed day
B.J. Brooks
(Robinson)

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

Thanks for sharing that story.

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, What is the Scriptural basis for "witnesses"? I don't believe I've ever heard of this concept before.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I live in FL part-time I can imagine how hot it was. I definitely think you were being guided to check the spot. Kristy would not have been happy with a mix-up!

I can only imagine at this point how hard it is but since my husband and I are older, I know one of us will have to face this situation before too long. I only hope if it is me that I can be as strong as you have been.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Hi Milton,
Yes, there is a great cloud of witnesses watching us and cheering us on as it says in Hebrews 12:1. I know Kristy was always a great cheerleader for you, the Lord, and those she loved. I am sure must be leading a group cheer now, encouraging you to press on to the finish the race and reach the goals Christ has for you.

I am so glad to hear you are performing weddings, preaching and leading your church, and inviting the neighbors in. One step at a time, you are moving ahead.

I continue to pray for you, your daughters, grandkids, and church as they adjust to life without Kristy close by. Thanks for sharing your journey!

Blessings,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read Hebrews 12:1 "We are encompassed with a cloud of witnesses..."

I edited the post to include this Scripture.

Milton

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read Hebrews 12:1 "We are encompassed with a cloud of witnesses..."

I edited the post to include this Scripture.

Milton

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

I am one who finds comfort in visiting my loved ones graves, though I do know they're in heaven, and just as you, I do believe they're watching me. So, I figure they see me when I visit their graves. I think Mom would want to know she's not forgotten and by visiting her grave, I'm able to show her this. However, I don't visit often, but I do try to visit and leave special flowers for the holidays when I can. My loved ones graves are over 700 miles away, so I'm glad to know I don't have to visit their graves to visit with them. I see them in the cloudy and sunny skies, and I hear them in the whisper of leaves and the song of birds. I know they're watching and can tell they're not forgotten even when I don't visit the graves, because my mind goes back to sweet memories and relives those memories, and I can't help but miss them, though I know they're in heaven waiting for me to join them. The comfort comes from knowing I'll see them again one day in heaven. I know they're not in those graves. The graves took their bodies, but not their spirits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home