Monday, December 22, 2008

FACING THE GREAT DEPRESSION ALONE

My father emailed me about a very unfair place in his life and family. All of us face tough times that don't make sense. Only heaven knows the full record of how God took a very bad place and worked it for eternal purpose. My Granny Dykes was one special lady--a lady who trusted God.

Dad wrote:

It was May, l929. The great historical depression had just occurred. My Dad, Milton's grandfather, accidentally fatally shot himself. He owned and operated a dairy farm in Andalusia, AL. Deliveries were made twice daily to residencies. He was preparing to make the evening route. No one ever knew what he was doing with the shot gun.

My Mother had just returned home mid-afternoon from shopping and heard the shot gun blast as she was getting out of the car. She rushed into the house to discover my Dad lying on the floor and drawing his final breathes. She didn't hear a final word from him. My Dad was 38 when he died and my Mother was 37.

She was left with nine children that ranged in age from 6 months to 20 years old. Since my Dad managed the dairy and Mother was the homemaker she didn't know how to operate the business. With the responsibility of caring for the nine children it is suddenly her lot to care for the business also. Customers had fallen on bad financial times and had no means to pay their milk accounts. The financial difficulties she faced were indescribable.

It was thru God's mercies she and the family survived. All the children grew up and became God fearing Christians. Three became Ministers. The eldest who was one of the ministers died this past August at age 99. Six of the nine children are still living and serving God. My Mother remained a widow and died at age 76.

Life is unfair, but God is good. 

***

If you are facing a bad spot, don't lose heart. Trust God. Cast your care upon Him. He cares and will see you through. He saw Granny Dykes and her brood of 9 through the Great Depression. He will see you through your depression.

***

I'm flying to San Juan, Puerto Rico today. Soon you'll see pretty pictures from the beautiful Caribbean. My grands and daughters are waiting to see me. It is a tough time for all of us, but God will help us. He never fails.

3 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

In the quiet moments, when you're sitting with your family and no one seems to know what to say, listen. Kristy will be speaking in your hearts.

I believe she is so very proud of you and the girls. You've listened to God and you've let him do his desire in your life.

I'm praying for the blessings of the season now and to continue on in the new year ahead.

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Charlene said...

your post spoke to me today just what I needed to hear...thanks

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't use our Lord as an excuse for your lust and desires of the flesh. While we know you were probably deprived of a physical relationship during Kristy's illness, you didn't wait long to jump on the first available woman out there who would give you that. Just the fact that you talk so much about how physically attracted you are to this new woman shows that there is nothing spiritual about this relationship; it is purely physical. Why do you have to rub it in how beautiful she is and all that while your children are still grieving? I'm sure they are deeply hurt by that even if they want you to be happy. I know you are going to delete this because you can't stand a dissenting voice, but think about it. Don't use the Lord as an excuse for your lust. When Kristy gave you her blessing, I'm sure she meant "eventually" and she wanted it to be based on the spiritual and not just on the physical. But the fact that you put so much emphasis on this other woman's physical beauty tells me that this is not the case. Don't use the Lord as an excuse for your lust. The fact that you didn't wait long after Kristy's passing to "fall in love" (or is it lust?) makes me wonder if you'd been lusting for that other woman even while your wife was still alive. Just don't rub it in. We don't want to know the "dirty details" while alot of us are still grieving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home