Sunday, December 21, 2008

FAMILY REALLY MATTERS

I cannot and do not post all the comments, but they all have blessed me and my family. Here is one from yesterday I had to share:

Anonymous said...

Softening spirits...that's what I'm feeling here. God is allowing this new chapter in your life to penetrate our hearts. Softly, so softly God whispers to us....ever so gently He moves to let us know that He is STILL an awesome God and He MOVES IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS.

Gentle Spirit, like a breeze

Heavenly Father, how we believe

You are timely in your moves

A cloud of peace, our faith's renewed...

The very whisper of Your Name

Makes us bow; your truths proclaim

We feel your presence, and like a flame

Its warmth allows us to heal again

HEAL again, Heal again

Like a gently, soothing rain...

Milton, these words flowed from my heart, in song...as God gave them to me....He's so Good.

Cathy

11:38 PM

***

A lifelong college friend, minister, and respected leader told me that family and their feelings are all that really matters in the process and healing from the loss of dear spouse to the transition to a new love. He said that when it occurs and when it is acceptable to occurring is up to the person and the family. Obviously, there are many other considerations in this process, but the ultimate issue is family--what they think and when are they ready and open to proceed with opening your heart and life to someone new.

Those words came to me early on after I had returned from a month of sabbatical rest and then a brief visit with my daughters. By the time I heard this I had been told by Jennifer who she felt that the Lord had for me and I wasn't even asking or thinking in those terms.  These words came to me unexpectedly like so many other things that had been shared, but my friends words had significant impact on me and how I thought through the process of what I would do and how I would proceed. 

Slowly over a period of weeks there was a process of change, some healing, and openness to what God had said in that voice that came to me in early morning just ten days after Kristy's funeral. I didn't ask for any of those thoughts, voices, words from my daughter, or advice from my friend. All of this just happened. 

There were many other "words" that I had given to me and it was amazing how they all pointed in one direction. I will write about some of that later, but I make note all of it now just to write that I came to a conclusion that one thing I know happened--God did speak to me early on that Sunday morning.

If you go back and read what I posted about the minutes leading up to Kristy's death you will see that I wrote twice in her last moments that I asked Kristy when she saw Jesus to tell Jesus to send me some help. I didn't ask or wasn't thinking about what or who that help would be. I just asked Kristy to tell Jesus to send me some help. Jesus was in the room and I could have asked Him myself. However, I knew she was about to see Him face to face and I wanted her to ask Him for me when she saw Him.

I believe that when Kristy walked through those gates of pearl onto those streets of gold that it wasn't long before she mentioned to Gabriel that she would like to tell Jesus about her husband's request for Him to send me some help. I believe she told Jesus and Jesus told me who that help was for me and my family. That voice which came to me early one morning ten days after Kristy's funeral was God's response to Kristy's request on my behalf. 

That is what I believe.

***

I will take a break from writing this story and write about my family and our Christmas together through the holidays. This has been a busy Christmas season already for me and Monday I will fly to sunny San Juan, Puerto Rico for a few days visit with my daughters and grands. 

There is no Christmas tree up in my house this year and I haven't put my lights and Christmas decorations out in the yard like I normally do. The girls didn't feel like coming home and wanted me to join them in San Juan--so that is the plan. 

Part of my Christmas gift to them was to buy tickets to San Juan for Julie, Alex, and Nic. They are already there and waiting for Papa to fly down on Monday. So you're in for some pictures from Puerto Rico.

Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas everybody! 

6 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

Merry Christmas and a blessed, happy New Year!
Barb

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Hi Milton,
I've been away on a cruise with my husband where we celebrated our 30th anniversary. It was a wonderful time. Even there, I thought of you and Kristy and remembered your example of taking time to go away together to enjoy each other and make memories. I prayed for you as we sailed south to Mexico. : )

I am so happy to hear about the way God has been working to reveal is will and send a new love into your life. It brought tears to my eyes to go back and read the last week's entries about Wanda and how the Lord confirmed His direction to you.

Kristy was so loving and selfless to think this all through and put your needs ahead of everything else. That's love! What an example.

I will continue to pray for you and Wanda, asking the Lord to lead you both and show you His will each step of the way.

Blessings from,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,

You mean we have to wait until after Christmas to hear more of this beautiful love story??!! Oh the anticipation!!! Can I handle it??!!
Seriously, thank you for sharing the beautiful thing that God is doing in your life. Isn't it amazing to think that he has been putting this all together for some time now? He definitely knows the plans He has for us, to give us a hope and a future:)
Go enjoy the holidays with your wonderful family. I look forward to hearing about you fun exploits in San Juan! Ho,ho, ho, and Merry Christmas!

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

Have a special and blessed Christmas with your family. Of course, leaving us hanging is absolutely not fair, but it is great writing.

 
At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope to see a picture of your new love, Wanda, very soon! I am so please that Kristy and Jesus sent you the help that you need! What wonderful, unconditional love!

Merry Christmas!

Evonne,
Chico CA

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

They say it's a good reflection on a good marriage when one left behind wants to remarry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home