Saturday, December 15, 2007

GOD, YOU'RE SO GOOD TO ME



I can't adequately express my thanks for your prayers, luscious meals, cards, books, gorgeous bouquets, and scripture and speakers' CDs. So I'm asking God to. Every gesture of kindness has cheered my heart, and all I can say is, "Lord, bless each one. Let them know my much they are ministering to me. Return blessings back to them. In Jesus' name. Amen."

This arrangement arrived at our house a few days ago from Dr. Mark Rutland and friends of Southeastern. Dr. Rutland is president of Southeastern University where Milton and I met, fell in love, and committed to a lifetime of marriage and ministry. Interestingly, our daughter Julie was the 24th member of the Dykes-Roberts family to attend Southeastern. Dad Dykes sent four of his five children there, and he jokes that we have a major investment in that historic, prestigious, life-guiding, Christ-centered university.

"Think palm trees, orange groves, and wide sunsets reflected in sparkling lakes," the website says (and I can attest to this). "That is the setting for our beautiful Mediterranean-styled campus in Lakeland, Florida, where students enjoy a year-round average temperature of 72 degrees. Situated between two lakes on more than 68 acres, our location provides students easy access to the cultural and recreational opportunities of nearby Tampa, Orlando, and the Florida Sun Coast" (both the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico are about an hour-and-a-half away!).


Going to Southeastern University as a young person seeking God's will and ways for her life was one of the most important decisions I ever made.

***
Ladies, Please Read Milton's Latest Post Below. It Will Touch You.
***

All of your kindnesses this past week have been especially meaningful. I've had a week of painful, seemingly-unsolvable side effects from medications. Coupled with the tiredness resulting from my daily treatments, it's not been what I would've liked it to be.

Another thing that I faced was quarantine from little 3-year-old Claudia's and 2-year-old Lorenzo's nightly 45-minute supper visits with me. They had colds, and I can't risk that right now, so I had to stay in the bedroom, and we couldn't let them see me because when I'm around Claudia, she raises her hands to me and says, "Nana, I just want you. Nana, I just want you." That's her favorite line to me, and in the past, I would scoop her up and hold her and then sing and dance with her and then read myriad books to her or take her to swing, etc.

BUT, God has been with me every step of the way during this week.

***

I frequently say aloud in front of whomever is with me, "God, You're so good to me. God You're so good to me." Sometimes I throw my arms toward heaven as a point of contact with God. Jennifer told us yesterday that little Claudia threw her arms toward heaven and said, "God, You're so good to me."


3 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Kristy, you're helping me to remember to savor each of life's moments as a gift from God and to celebrate them as such. Thank you.

Love,
your redheaded blog/writing pal.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

Lovely flowers! So festive! You are such an inspiration Kristy. Although I do have to tell you I put off my routine eye exam after I heard about you, until my dh forced me to go yesterday.

Praying!!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Yeah, my reading is speeding up some! I quickly read both of your comments. So good to hear from both of you, my writing pals. God bless--

 

Post a Comment

<< Home