Wednesday, December 12, 2007

VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH

It's almost ten p.m., and I just came through the valley of the shadow of death, for the last hour and a half. That's the only way to describe it. I saw myself leaving my husband and two daughters and grandchildren, and I started wailing, and Milton had me come sit with him on the sofa, and he held me tightly, and I screamed out, and he said, "Just let out, just let it out," and I wailed and screamed and cried until I thought I couldn't stand it. I filled tissue after tissue, and my eyes grew swollen and hurtful, and I kept wailing. It went on for a long time.

Milton grabbed the phone and called his sister and brother in law. They started speaking words of life to me, manna that lifted my spirits, and I began to calm down, and then the four of us bombared heaven, and let me tell you, GOD CAME ON THE SCENE. I thought my heart was breaking when all that started, and now it's as ligth as a feather! They told me such good things, oh, my. What powerful, life-sustaining words that brought back my hope and peace and joy.

And then we called Milton's parents. Yep, they're ministers, too. And Dad Dykes gave me a wonderful word, too, about when the Hebrew spies went to scout the land, when they saw the giants, two of them looked at God and said, "They are small before our God," and Dad said, "Kristy, this spirit of grief, this cancer even, IS SMALL BEFORE OUR GOD."

***

We jokingly call ourselves a Levite family. We have almost 30 ministers and wives in our family! And I'm so grateful. I walked through another valley Saturday night, and called my brother's wife and then Milton's other sister, and when they both finished, the valley lifted. Galatians says to bear one another's burdens. That's what happened Saturday night, and tonight, too.

Thank You, God, for your blessings on me. I feel so good, I feel like telling a joke.

You know what the Bible says about laughter being so good for us. I quote that all the time.

***

Since my diagnosis, I've been like a social butterly, being so happy and joyful and telling jokes, and trying to comfort others. It's been so great. So I'm very grateful I haven't faced much of what I described on this post. God is keeping me in His care, and He's promised me He'll continue to do that.

16 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Blogger Mindy Obenhaus said...

Even in the valleys, we are never alone. You're an inspiration, Kristy. Your faith awes me and makes me see how far I have to go.

Praying.

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Story and Logic Media Group said...

Thank you for sharing this journey. You have such a wonderful caring family and God is so good.

Blessings~~

 
At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Kristy,

All of His saints sometimes feel like Little Davids facing Goliath.

"What do we have, Lord, but a pocketful of stones and a slingshot?"

We ask this, even knowing how that battle turned out. For nothing and no one can snatch us out of His mighty hand!

The prayers of the saints are ever before the Father for your healing.
Rest assured, sweet sister, the enemy has no power to hasten your/our trip to heaven, not even by a minute.

Next time the Lord gives me marching orders to go into battle, I pray that I'm a soldier with your faith, your courage, your strength, and your joy.

You and your family are such an amazing inspiration to us. I can't believe you blogged through your tears!!! Your writer's heart continues to bless so many!!!

Love & continued prayers,
Nancy

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

Kristy,
Crying out to God, shedding tears...they are all part of the journey. Remember that God sees our tears and stores them in a bottle! I am praying still, and always. Thank you for how you and Milton are ministering to all of us.

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart cries out with you. I can remember well screaming and crying out through my house, "Asking God, Where are my Blessings? You promised me Blessings!" This was at a particulary down time in my life when my husband had passed away and finances were so short and then the Insurance Co. refused to pay.

The next day I asked God to forgive me for my out burst and his word in my heart was, For what, you only asked where your blessings were. I laughed out loud because he did not elude to the total fit I really pitched. What an Awesome God we Have.

I'm now married to a wonderful man who has undone all of my heartaches and tears and I feel so blessed.

You Kristy are such a blessing to all of us and God is holding you in the palm of his hand. The healing we are all praying for will come. The words you are sharing and storing up in your heart are priceless.

Go Levites!! And thanks so much for sharing.

Many Blessings

B.J. Brooks (Robinson)

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Oh Kristy....Milton...
As children of God, we have all had to walk that valley at one time or another. But oh the peace that comes knowing God is there in the valley too!! He is so faithful to bring us through the valley and back into His joy!

Know that I am continually praying for you and your family.

Much love,
Kim

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

Thinking and praying for you today, Kristy. ~Julie C.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Maggie Brendan said...

I'm getting to the point that I can't get through the day unless I read your blog ! :-) You have no clue how you are ministering to me and many others. Still praying for your miracle!

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

Yea, though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.

Scripture doesn't say we won't cry or experience grief or even have doubt. But it does go on to say For thou art with me

He is with you all the way!

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger nannykim said...

We , in this world, are in a Spiritual Battle!! Eph 6---there is always a battle going on.

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy,
Thanks for sharing so honestly the struggle and the victory. All those emotions are real and Milton is so right, it is good to get them out and let the Lord ministry to our heart. I am so glad you are surrounded by such a strong team of family and friends who can lift you up with God's Word's of life.
So many times each day you come to mind and I pray for you and Milton to have courage and keep trusting God for all you need.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

As you know, I started using the names of God when I pray (I hope you got the bookmark I sent you with them on it). One of my favorite of His names is El Roi - the Lord sees me. What a thought! He actually sees me ... and you. And He's our companion - Jehovah-Shammah.

All His attributes are names. Somehow, praying His names made Him even more personal and close. There's power in God's name.

And I'm praying all the power of El Shaddai will rain down over you, lashing out at the cancer as Jehovah-Rapha heals you.

From one redhead to another, I love ya, gal. ;o)

 
At 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kristy:

I have just read Valley of the Shadow of Death. I would love to send you a compliation of 8 songs on a CD that I feel would greatly minister to you. Everytime I listen to it the Holy Spirit comes and does His work...being the comforter! If this would be ok, please respond to me at e.holmberg@sbcglobal.net. One of the songs is by Mark Schultz, entitled "He Will Carry Me" and here are the words..

HE WILL CARRY ME

Chorus 1
And even though I'm walkin' through
The valley of the shadow
I will hold tight to the hand of Him
Whose love will comfort me
And when all hope is gone
And I've been wounded in the battle
He is all the strength that I will ever need
He will carry me

Verse 1
I call You hear me
I've lost it all
And it's more than I can bear
I feel so empty

Verse 2
You're strong I'm weary
I'm holdin' on
But I feel like givin' in
But still You're with me

Verse 3
I know I'm broken
But You alone
Can mend this heart of mine
You're always with me

Misc 1
(BRIDGE)
And even though I feel so lonely
Like I have never been before
You never said it would be easy
But You said You 'd see me through the storm

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thank you all so much for these comments. I'm just now reading them, and when I saw "reading," it's splotchy. See, I can write, zipping along usually, but to read, it's slow going. But it's getting better and better.

You've blessed me with your comments and prayers.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger THOMBU1 said...

Isn't it funny how a shadow can look so much larger than the object casting it? The shadow of death, is being cast by the light of god, our Savior. He is dwelling in unapproachable light, and His light is the life of man. May His light shine on you, and warm you in all your ways, and shed light on the path He has laid before you. You are very special in The Lords' eyes and in ours. I pray that God will continue to bless you and yours Beloved of our Father. tom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home