Thursday, February 14, 2008

A PREACHER'S STRUGGLE: PART II

Milton, here:

My struggle over preparing to preach a series of sermons during February on the topic Nothing Is Too Hard for God dealt with several conflicting questions. I will not cover them all, but there is one question that I feel I should offer comment.

It is the question if there is nothing too hard for God, then why are some prayers seemingly left unanswered? Why doesn't everyone who prays in faith get healed? Why do some suffer and face hardships that seem to have no end. God heals, but faith-filled believers die. What's the answer?

Our oldest daughter, Julie, cried my over the phone last Saturday evening asking, "Dad, doesn't God heal? Why is Mom going through this?"

She needed some honest answers, and frankly I had to have some answers to faithfully preach on God's power and Lordship with this trial looming larger every day. One of the most critical aspects of preaching is that people need to know and feel that the preacher really believes what he or she is preaching. I needed God to help me work through these struggles to preach boldly and with confidence--truly believing what I was preaching.

The Lord led me to Hebrews 11 which is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. I turn there frequently to read it—it is so inspiring. It is the "Hall of Faith". You have to read all of the chapter to understand God's full plan. It is a chapter of victory. The words "by faith" are recorded throughout the chapter as many received glorious promises, but we need to learn that God still has victory for us even when we don't get the answers we desire.

Hebrews 11 teaches us that some with unusual faith failed to get what was promised them. They believed they would receive the promise but didn't receive what had been promised—God had something better for them.

That's the key—God had something better. (Read Hebrews 11:39-40)

I have taught my congregation that when we pray and pray in faith yet not receiving the promise, then God has something better for us.

It is not that some things are too hard for God—FOR THERE IS NOTHING TOO HARD FOR GOD. There are some things we pray for that God has a higher will and purpose to accomplish. That takes a trusting faith that yields to Him.

It is important to note that those who didn't receive the promise yet lived their faith out with proactive, intentional action. They didn't turn passive in their praying or believing. We are told by our Lord to ask, seek, and knock. They didn't quit praying or believing, and neither should we quit praying.

We believe in miracles and we are believing for healing for Kristy as well as many others who have needs. We are praying and standing on His promises knowing that He is the Sovereign Lord over all—there is nothing too hard for God.

Sometimes the answer comes right at the midnight hour.

(Please forgive the "preacher" coming out in me. At least I haven't taken an offering—at least not yet. Ha!)

How Is Kristy?

She is improving and was able to go out to lunch on Wednesday with her sister, Rebecca, Cousin Anita, and Aunt Jo. God is good. Thank God for His healing, strengthening hand.

***


Tomorrow Kristy plans on posting again. It will be good. She said it would be about me. A little humor there--very little.

12 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,
Preach all you want. I don't know about any one else, but I know I could use it. You let us know where to send that offering and I think you would be surprised how many will. I know medical appointments and such are not cheap. I do love you both so much.

 
At 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton~~ we are praying. God will be glorified.

Thank you for sharing your journey.

 
At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,
Thank you for sharing your journey and your faith. Your display of faith is helping me keep my faith as Tommy journeys through his stroke recovery. Sermons like this are needed in this day and age because it is so easy for us to let the daily pressures and stress cause us to doubt. Keep preaching cuz.
We love all of you and are praying for God's will to be done.
Linda & Tommy Reece
Birmingham, Alabama

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger christine said...

Kristy you are amazing!! I have been going through a very difficult struggle in my personal life and you reached me!! Not only has your faith in God challenged me to do the same, but I have just this week read two of your books. The message and scripture you put into them were EXACTLY what I needed to hear in this moment. I know the most important thing we can ever read is the WORD and believe me I am reading that too, but your books reached me just as God knew they would. You see for Christmas I bought 3 or 4 of them for myself, and figured when I had time they would be enjoyable to read. I did not expect to get the peace and comfort that I did when I read them. I read a whole one last night. Thank you for using your gifts for God. Thank you for hearing and following his prompting, thank you for being a great example of faith to me and many others. My prayers are with you and your family. Thank you thank you thank you!! God Bless you.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Donita K. Paul said...

Preach away, Brother. I love it! And am gaining insight.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Milton and Kristie

Thanks for living a life that absolutely glorifies God. It is easy to PTL when things are going well; it is another matter to do so in difficult times. In my Christian walk, there have been many times I have been beset by the tempter when I've prayed for healing for others and God did not answer prayer the way I thought He should. Your posts the last two days have been awesome. May God bless and encourage. I'm still praying for a complete healing for Kristie in this life. May God surround you with His presence and love. May He also encourage your two precious daughters.

Sharon Bailey

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the Good News, Milton. The thought of Kristy out lunching with family makes my heart soar to new heights. Glory to God. We continue to pray for complete healing for our beautiful sister in Christ, and joy, joy, joy for you and your family.

God's richest blessings upon all of you, and His continued anointing upon your lives.

Nancy & family

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger One Mother with Cancer said...

I never read your posts without tears stinging my eyes, just know that we are all praying for Kristy, you, and your family.

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tommy and Linda: God is with you and is going to continue to strengthen and help you. You are in our prayers.

Thanks to all for your encouraging words and comments. They are water to our souls. They make the effort of communicating from our hearts worth it all. Just to know people are standing with us and love us is unbelieveable comfort.

We are grateful for all your prayers for Kristy and for us.

Milton

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

Milton - there is no doubt that God is good, even when he's not doing it our way. This is an awesome message, especially when it comes from someone who is in the "walking through" part right now. Faith is not dependent on getting what we want - if so, none of us would have any. Thank you for sharing your journey and keeping us up to date on Kristy. Still believing and praying...
Blessings,

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't You always loved me
Haven't You always cared
Why should I be anxious
Why should I despair
Haven't You been good

Written on the pages
Of my history
Story upon story
Of what You have done for me
Haven't You been good

Haven't You been faithful
Throughout the years
Hearing my petitions
Sharing my fears
Haven't You been good

The robin and the sparrow
Taught me this truth
There is no need to worry
You ALWAYS come through
Haven't You been good

Oh my Lord, haven't You been good
Oh my Lord, haven't You been good

Encounter Worship 1
Lindell Cooley

Hello Pastor Milton and Kristy. Pastor Deanna mentioned you in our Wednesday evening service here at Northside, Tampa. She shared with us what your family has been facing. Dear Lord, we thank you for the many blessings you have bestowed on this family. I stand with them believing for Kristy's complete healing, in Jesus's name.

William Letaw

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello

After sending my reply, I noticed an error in one of the verses. Hearing my petitions, sharing my tears. I used fears and it should have been tears. Sorry.

Our Redeemer lives!
William Letaw

 

Post a Comment

<< Home