Sunday, July 13, 2008

ANOTHER UNEXPECTED LOSS

Milton, here for Kristy:

I received word by email that a college friend and classmate I graduated with in 1971 passed away Friday. Eric Thomas was the SGA president at Southeastern University our senior year while I served as the Missions Board president. He had a massive heart attack.

This was shocking news that saddened me. Eric had great vision and commitment to the Kingdom, but now his work on earth is completed. My prayers are with Shyrl, his wife, and their family. Eric had served the Lord with excellence in many capacities and was presently planting a church in South Florida.

Paul T. sent an email and told me of Eric. Paul said that they had been reading Kristy's blog and following her story. It is uncanny that now they have to deal with unexpected loss. My prayers and love go out to this family. I emailed back to Paul to give my love and prayers and wrote that eternal purpose was all that really counts. Eric's passing confirms that again.

Wasn't it just yesterday that we sat in classes together, roomed down the hall from each other, played football, and graduated from SEBC, now SEU? It seems that way. No, it was 37 years ago.
We graduated with dreams and visions of making a difference for God. Life is brief and fragile. Living for Him and doing His will is all that matters.

Well done, Eric, you've gained the reward.

***
My mother was taken to the hospital in the night with chest pains. She is 81. We're not sure yet exactly what has happened. Please keep her in your prayers.

***

How is Kristy?

She rested all Saturday. Her words are clear and then very confused. We had a powerful time of prayer with her late in the afternoon. Prayer has been a primary force in our lives. Prayer still works.

Terry came Saturday morning and is preaching for me today. Our family has blessed us beyond measure.

Norma flies home today. She has done a fantastic job lovingly caring for Kristy and our family. Other family members are on the way to help. God is good. I'm am grateful for all their love, care, and support. Kristy always went beyond the call of duty for her family in every way possible. They, likewise, have done the same.

Please keep Kristy and us in your prayers.

10 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. We are so glad that you have so much wonderful help from people who very much a part of your lives. What a shock about Eric. It does seem like yesterday that we were all at Southeastern. Blessings to all.

Gaylon and Barbara Benton

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Milton, Eric's death is a shock, but it surely does put our purpose in life in perspective. Our 15 year-old grandson told me the other day that he wants God more than anything else in his life. Passion for God is really all that matters. We have seen that in you & Kristy through this blog. Thank you for being so real.
We continue to stand with you in prayer & certainly will add Shyrl & Eric's family to our prayer list.
Clara (Franklin) Oxendine

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

Sorry for your loss. Hoping today finds you both comfortable. Praying still : )

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

Kristy, your mom, your family and Eric's are in my prayers. Life is fleeting, run as swift as a deer. The important thing is that Eric worked for God and so does Kristy. I'm glad you have family who can take turns helping. God is good to send such blessings.

May God bless,
Barb

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, though Kristy, you and I did not go to Bible College together - our ages are the same, and while I was yet at another college - God worked miraculously in my life. All these years, serving and admonishing our God, and when one of "ours" goes to be with the Lord it is astounding. Life "is" short, and only what we do for God will LAST. Thank you for making such lasting impressions upon all those who view your blog daily, and to all those with whom you come in contact.
Your Mom is in my prayers, as well as Kristy, your friend Eric's family, and your children and grandchildren.
Thanks be to God for such a wonderful family that is there to serve you and Kristy! What a blessing! I'm always in admiration of your closeness and love you all have one for the other. How precious God has been to your family, Milton!

Be blessed today,
Cathy

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Dear Friends,

You and yours our in our prayers today. I have thought of you so many times each day, when I hear a touching song or when I am out walking. I turn those thoughts into prayers for you.

I am praying for your comfort and encouragement today.
Love and prayers from.
Carrie in NJ

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

It's all about Jesus and the eternal, isn't it?

Tony Snow, who just went home to the Lord, said he viewed death as a promotion.

Great words and the right attitude. :)

We had a powerful time in worship today. I thought of you both while I was praising the Lord.

As always, I'm praying and more and more understanding Paul's words: to live is Jesus, to die is gain.

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton and Kristy,

Our family has followed your blog and prayed for you, although we've never commented before. Today I am trying to comment because I wanted you to know that we have appreciated your diligence in letting us know how to pray...your ups and downs, your heartbreaks (like this blog about your friend) and your laughter, too. Thanks for showing so clearly how praising God and keeping our eyes on him can help us through any trial.
We are praying for you,
Sheila Harkins and family
Bangkok, Thailand

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

Milton, I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. Temporary loss, anyway. I've temporarily lost a few, myself. We rejoice in the spirit, but it hurts in the natural. May the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, do His good work right now in you and all others who love your friend.

And I'm still praying for Kristy for a miracle. Where there's life, there's hope.

Oh, here's a story someone sent me. I'm not sure how to verify it, but it's believable. Why not?

http://friansmissionmeanderings.blogspot.com/2008/07/miracle-testimony.html

God bless~

 
At 3:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our deepest sympathy in the loss of your friend, Milton. We also pray that God heal your mother, in Jesus' name.

God bless you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home