Monday, July 14, 2008

KRISTY IS REMEMBERED AT THE CHRISTY AWARDS

Milton, here for Kristy:

You should have seen the smile on Kristy's face when I read the following comment by Deborah Rainey on Kristy's blog from Sunday morning to her. It reads:

Deborah Raney said...

Milton and Kristy, oh, how I wish you could have been at the Christy Awards last night. Donna Kehoe gave a lovely tribute to you both in her opening remarks, mentioning the testimony your journey has been to so many. Then she shared how so often she received a sweet note from Kristy with her typical opening: "Greetings from sunny Florida!" She had us all laughing with how that greeting affected her when it wasn't quite so sunny in her part of the country. : ) Know that your Kristy was being thought of and prayed for by all at the Christy awards last night!

***

First, congratulations to all the nominees and winners for this years Christy Awards. This is a very prestigious event where the top authors and publishers are honored.

And, thank you Deborah for sending this sweet comment and letting us know and thank you Donna for honoring Kristy by sharing about her. Kristy loved going to the Christy Awards. This annual awards banquet honors the top writers in Christan fiction. Her love for fiction and especially christian fiction moved her to support it in every way she could.

We were at the first Christy Awards and didn't miss one until last year. Kristy wasn't up to going and at the time I really couldn't understand why. Looking back I know that this tumor was already at work in her brain making things harder for her. She always had such energy and push, but last year she wasn't able to zip around as fast and was slowing. We didn't know why at the time.

Kristy loved applauding those who were being honored and I dreamed of one day seeing her nominated. It just seemed that Kristy winning a Christy would sound right.

We have been blessed to have so many friends of faith around the world. It has touched me personally to read Kristy's writing buddy's comments as well as read the encouraging words of our precious friends and family. You have blessed Kristy and me immeasurably.

I pray that none of you have to walk through a similar valley, but, if you do, I pray that you will be blessed to have the loving support that has been given to us. May God bless all of you for standing close.

***

How is Kristy?

She had a good Sunday and is resting Monday morning as I write. Once she tried to get out of the bed without us watching. Sadly she can't do it. She loves being with us and wants to get up and out. We help her into the wheelchair every day that she feels up to it.

I told her, "Kristy, please don't try to climb out of the bed."

She meekly said, "Yes, sir."

I promise that is the only time in our marriage she has ever said, "Yes, sir," to me.

She is a model wife, but "yes, sir" to me wasn't part of her spiritual vocabulary.

HA! Maybe we're moving into a higher level of relationship.

Probably not!

6 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,

This is Lisa Vella, a good friend of Julie's from college. I good friend of mine in NY, and a sister in Christ, has been following this story very closely, as I ask her and her church to pray for you all often. She sent me this song called Healer and the lyrics, along with a You Tube Video.

She said that she wanted me to forward it to you, as it makes her think of Kristy.

Please enjoy!
Lisa
***********************************
I thought this might be of interest to you - especially in light of Julie's mom...it moved me to tears



A favorite worship song at MSNY is "Healer" by the Planet Shakers... its simple but powerful (words below). I've always experienced God intimately when singing it, but I just today watched a video sent to me on the background to the story. If you can make a few minutes to watch it, I can only imagine you will be as encouraged and moved as i was.... here on my couch, tears streaming down my face to watch a man face death daily and praise his God. Its a beautiful thing and so anointed. I know there are things in our lives that we are believing for healing in - and our God can heal each and every one of those things. I pray this will encourage you in what you are believing healing for...

First video: background story http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ_ny8hMgRY
Second video: full worship performance of Healer at hillsong church
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4xsWldmqAo&feature=related

Song : Healer (aka You're My Healer)

Verse1
You hold my every moment
You calm my raging seas
You walk with me through fire
And heal all my disease
I trust in You
I trust in You

Chorus
I believe You're my Healer
I believe You are all I need
I believe You're my Portion
I believe You're more than enough for me
Jesus You're all I need


Bridge
Nothing is impossible for You
Nothing is impossible for You
Nothing is impossible for You
You hold my world in Your hands

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Dear Friends,
Yes, Kristy has always been such a strong supporter of Christian fiction and its authors. She has had a powerful influence in the lives of so many of us through her mentoring and her roll as an encourager. We love her and appreciate her so much!

I am so glad Kristy was mentioned at the Christy Awards. That is a special honor and it shows how much she is loved by the Christian writing community.

I am praying for you all today, asking God to surround you with His peace.

Love and prayers from,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

"Yes, sir?" LOL - in your dreams, Milton! :D I can just hear Kristy giggling. The sweet sound of love's laughter.

As always, I'm praying for y'all.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

In our books, Kristy will always be a winner. She has her own category, too.....The Kristy Dykes Award... it has a nice ring to it.

Sorry to hear your mom has not been well. My dad is 81; mom's 76. I'm so blessed to still have them with me. I hope your mom is going to be OK.

Praying, as always.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

I was deeply saddened to read of your friend's sudden death in a previous post.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

I just read on the ACFW board how Kristy was missed at the Christy Awards. Her personal greeting makes her memorable in itself, as well as her writing and just being the person she is.


Blessings and prayers,
Barb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home