Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I SEEEE SOMEBODY!

Milton, here for Kristy:

Kristy had a very good Tuesday. She was able to enjoy going into our family room in her wheelchair and watch more HG TV. Kristy loved designing and decorating. We have built two homes together and decorated many more as well as built several churches and decorated them too.

God is faithfully adding days to her life. Every moment is sweet and romantically special.

The following is a "family" story that has been told on occasion at family gatherings. If you think you're family, then continue reading. Really proper people might rather desire to go read a book or do something more spiritual.

***
Four year old Julie was posted at the door to watch.

"If you see somebody, tell Mommy," Kristy said.

Prim and proper Kristy was pregnant with Jennifer and we were at church. Our church was meeting temporarily in an old armory building while our new church was being completed. The armory wasn't in the best of condition, but we were only going to meet there a few weeks.

It was an evening service and dark, and I didn't know the lights in the upstairs area where the ladies restroom was located didn't work.

Pregnant Kristy had to go and the only alternative was to use the men's room downstairs and the lights didn't work there either. She didn't have a choice except to quickly use the men's room.

"Stand at the door and watch," Kristy said again. "Tell me if you see somebody."

Kristy goes into the dimly lit room to the first stall and prepares.... without listening to jabbering Julie. There were no doors on the stalls.

Finally Kristy tunes in...

"I seeeeee somebody.....I seeeee somebody....I seeeee somebody....," Julie is repeating over and over while keeping the door open just enough to let a little light into the room.

Kristy looked down to her left under the stall. There, unexpectedly, shockingly were legs, a man's legs with trousers....and .....and....he appeared to be sitting....and.... and....and....

And Kristy runs out of there as fast as a pregnant lady can run and grabs jabbering Julie as she flies out the door.

After church as we sat in the armory parking lot, Kristy told me what had happened. I almost fell out of the car I laughed so hard. Oh my, that laugh did me so much good. I laughed until I cried and hurt.

"Hurry get home," Kristy pleaded, "I still need to go."

Oh, have we laughed over that one!

Kristy is one classy lady who doesn't let life or embarrassing moments get her down.

Who was that man next to Kristy? Thirty-plus years have passed and he remains a mystery.

Ron M., our brother-in-law, said the man was probably sitting there with his finger to his lips whispering, "Sshssss....sshsss," to Julie.

(Kristy actually told her version of this story in the book, Help! I'm a Pastor's Wife, which she wrote a chapter entitled She Who Laughs, Lasts.)

***

Smooch, smooch, kiss, kiss, kiss,... on Claudia's little neck. "I got your kisses," I said as Claudia giggled and giggled. I would surprise her and steal them before she knew it. Then she would get my kisses. It was a fun game.

Over and over I stole her kisses. On the phone I would kiss, kiss,kiss and say, "I got your kisses," as she giggled from way down in Puerto Rico.

But one day, without me looking and seeing her, she snuck up to me and kissed, kissed, kissed and giggled and said,"I got your kisses." She was so proud and gleefully giggled more.

I looked at Jennifer who was watching the fun and said, "I have been waiting for almost a year for her to get me first. Today she did."

And almost everyday since Claudia has been here, she has stolen my kisses as I have smiled and laughed.

Months of patient planning paid off.

Four year old granddaughters make Papa's feel really special.
Last night I tried getting two year old Lorenzo's kisses. He loves his Papa, but that wasn't his kind of game.

***

Tuesday night Claudia sat with me as we stole Nana's kisses together.

8 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger Lelia Chealey said...

Too funny!!! And loved the kisses story~how very sweet! God knows just what we need when we need it. :)
Praying in Nebraska,
Lelia

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, that story is tops! I believe it tops the one about the panties that had clung to my skirt in the dryer, then so awkwardly fell out at choir practice where one of the MEN sitting behind me HAD TO TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!! What in the world would we do without laughter and fun in our lives. It's vital!

Steal those kisses!!!!!!!

Cathy

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Hi Friends,
What a fun story! I can just imagine Kristy doing this. I loved the kisses story too. I will have to try that on my grandsons and see if I can teach them to steal some kisses from me. : )

I am praying for you all today.
Love from,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger A Romantic Porch said...

Still praying and believing in your miracle. Sincerely, Rachel Going

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Mary Connealy said...

All these moments are so precious. You're so generous to share them.

 
At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I feel like we're family by now, so I'm reading. :-)

This was too funny. It reminded me of a time when my sweet husband and I traveled. We made a pitstop at a diner in Indiana. I set my purse on the back (tank) of the toilet. As I grabbed my purse to leave, the long strap got caught and pulled the porcelain tank down to the floor. Oh, the noise it made as it shattered on the ceramic tile.

Your stealing kisses reminded me of how my grandpa would always steal my nose. Remember that one?
Oh, sweet memories.

As always, thinking of and praying for you both.

((((((((((Milton & Kristy))))))))))

 
At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just thought of something. I said my purse strap pulled the tank down. It was the lid of the tank. I'd have to have a mighty strong purse strap (and arm) to pull the whole tank to the floor. Heh heh heh....

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger Rambling On said...

What a funny story. I'm sure Kristy was horrified. :)

Little girls are very special--especially to their grandpas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home