Sunday, September 07, 2008

KRISTY AND MILTON AND HGTV VS. FOOTBALL

Milton, here for Kristy:

It is football season again all across America, and I am crazy about football!

Roll Tide!

Get'em Jaguars!

Go Gators!

Go Gators?

Am I sick? Somebody call the doctor. Check my pulse. Take my blood pressure.

I never knew if Kristy was a Bama fan or Gator fan or Seminole. She never said or acted like she cared very much about any one of the teams.

I do know she was my best cheerleader, and I was her hero.

Remember Bear Bryant? I grew up watching his Sunday afternoon Bear Bryant Show and the most recent replay of the last Alabama football victory. "That's a goodie, or bingo!" he would say after a great hit by one of his players. I was hooked.

Then Kristy and I started dating and a transition began.

HGTV always won over football at my house, at least the last few years. While one of our first dates was to a football game, Kristy never ever got excited about sports. She tolerated it with me though she knew I loved it. Once she went with me to an Alabama Football in 1997 for the New Year's Outback Bowl Game in Tampa, FL, and she read a novel all the way through through the game. Alabama played Michigan and Alabama won 17-14! Roll Tide!

Believe it or not, she actually put together many tracks for witnessing for our state youth director that was handed out by the thousands by young people at that game. She wrote game stats and commentary on each team for the youth department for a game program and highlights that were handed out by the hundreds of thousands over a period of years at bowl games in Florida. I don't know how she did it because she didn't know anything about football.

She once asked me if the quarterback was offense or defense? I said you better let me read that before it goes to the printer. HA!

Two old Alabama fans sat in front of us at that Outback Bowl game reading her tract while I watched the game and Kristy read her novel. Too funny!

In the more recent years, I watched more HGTV with Kristy than she ever watched football or sports with me. We enjoyed all kinds of chick flicks together and I was won over to her interest in home decorating shows or parade of homes each year. I can't tell you how many shows we went to together. It was fun and it was something we could both get enjoyment. That is what marriage is all about. It is about sharing and giving and caring more about the other's needs than your own interests.

I would trade every sports event in the world for having Kristy here to share her interests. I am grateful that I can look back knowing that I wasn't selfish and unwilling to share with her those things that were special and important to her. I loved and love football and sports in general far more than any HGTV program they have, but none of that matters any more.

All across the land, husbands are hunkering down for another season of the pigskin pastime. There is nothing wrong with sports, but I would swap all the games in the world for watching just one more HGTV program with my beloved redhead.

Maybe some dumb man will get the message if some smart wife would read this to him.

***

Sunday I will preach for the first time in over two months, and it will be the first time I will preach as a pastor without my beautiful redhead. She was always in my corner cheering me on and I know she is cheering me own even more now.

I will miss her Sunday morning, but I am going to fulfill God's call on my life and win just like Kristy did.

7 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

morning,, maybe my husband will be the dumb husband to read this,his priorties are different now, its stressful to me and depressing. he's at home "but not at home" tv. tv. tv sleep, or talking to our teenager, so i feel alone 24/7 at home. pray for us

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm one of those strange women who absolutely LOVES sports; football, baseball, golf. I even like a good boxing match. It's a passion I shared as a little girl with my dad, and now as a grown woman with my husband. So with that said:

GO DAWGS! SIC'EM

GO GREEN! GO WHITE! MSU!

GO FALCONS!

Patty Hall

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you as you go forth today and minister to your congregation. I am praying for you, here in War Eagle country.
God bless you and your family.
Amy

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

We will all be cheering for you, every Sunday : )

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Michelle Shocklee said...

We lost a friend this week, Rodney Ryden. He was only 50 and had a heart attack. His wife's tribute to him at the funeral (read by the pastor) was beautiful. It reminded me of your posts since losing Kristy. God Bless you (and Rodney's widow, Loretta) as you move forward in life without your life's partner.

PS: Go Denver Bronco's!! LOVE 'EM!

~Michelle Shocklee

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

Kristy is still cheering you on from heaven above. What an honor and a tribute--to give up watching football. That says it all.

Barb

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

I once sent my cousin a stick that had a gator head on one end--the top, as you held the gator head up, face out--and a squeeze handle on the bottom. When the handle was squeezed, the gator's jaws would snap. I sent it to my cousin and told him this was the only Gator his team could handle. That was not at all funny to that LSU fan. LOL

Hey--nothing wrong with "Go, Gators!"

Later,
The Gator

 

Post a Comment

<< Home