Tuesday, September 23, 2008

KRISTY INSPIRED ME

Milton, here for Kristy:

How long will I write Milton, here for Kristy? 

The answer is I will write as long as I feel God would have me to write. I promised Kristy I would write her story, our love story, in her absence when she had brain surgery and then I continued when her radiation treatments would not allow her to write.

She tried numerous times after her brain surgery to work on her novels, but her mind and hands would not coordinate and she had to give it up. That was so hard to watch and bear. She was so alive, so vibrant, so engaged, so swift, so creative, so funny, so servant directed, so committed to the Kingdom, so determined to have the best for those dear and close.

It is easy to write about this lady of mine. There is more, so much more to tell about our love story. 

I have written this before, but she made me a better man. My, how this dear lady worked to make me a better man. She loved me. She pushed me. She gave attention to me. She listened. She supported. She stood up to tasks big and small with me. There wasn't anything above or beneath her in her willingness to serve for the Kingdom, and for me. 

It was funny and sometimes amazing how we worked together. I helped her formulate letters, speaking outlines, helped her on how to articles, and collaborated on all kinds of projects with her. Some things just stumped her to my amazement. She wasn't one to have the gift of gab. She didn't schmooze so well. Her thoughts ran short in spontaneous moments. But she could sit at a keyboard and stories would flow out of her fingers. 

I have just come in to our home for a few moments before leaving again for an appointment this evening. When I walked into the house, my conscious and subconscious mind was looking for her. I can see her here, but she is not here. I can hear her hear, but there are no audible sounds. I an smell her sweet smell, but the perfume bottle hasn't moved. I can sense her energy, but the sights and sounds are dull.

My beloved is in heaven. Do you know how hard those words are to write? My inspiration has been covered. It is weakened. It is withdrawn. Kristy inspired me and lifted me, but now her voice, her mind, her swift hands, her tenacious determination, her wit and whimsy, her secret genious, and her kind touch toward me are all gone.

There is new inspiration near. I asked Kristy in her last moments on earth to tell Jesus to send me some help. Kristy loved me and I know she has done that for me. She loved me and she knew how desperately I needed her help. 

Jesus will inspire me. He will be my friend and walk with me and carry me.  

Jesus will send me help.

12 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger B. J. Brooks said...

Milton as I read your inspiring words about Kristy I am so reminded of a speaker I heard last year at a church in Green Cove Springs. Her name is Jennifer Sands and she lost her husband Jim in the 9-11 tragedy.

She, who was a pharmatist,(hope I spelled that right) and not a writer, has written two books now about her life with Jim and later with God.

Unlike you in her first book she was very angry with God, and in the second so inspired and comforted by HIM.

If you get an opportunity check out her website and maybe even read her books.

Your writing on Kristy's blog continues to bless us all. May you be blessed as well.

Many Blessings
B.J. Brooks
Robinson

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Milton,

I pray that you will continue to write. Your writing is wonderful, captivating, and inspiring. I check it every day or two. It is good to know how you and the girls and the grands are doing, and also to share in the many ways God is touching your family. I believe great things are ahead for you!

In Him,
april gordon

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I am going to continue to write for a long while. It is in my heart. There is so much to share.

Milton

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Hi Milton,
We are back from ACFW. Many times I stopped to talk with friends there and share memories of Kristy. She is loved and was dearly missed by all.

It was a great conference with lots of opportunities to worship and pray as well as meet with editors, agents, old friends and new. Very uplifting!

I am thankful for the spirit of love and unity I sensed there among my fellow Christian writers. It was a very special time.

I thought of you several times and prayed for you. I am so glad you continue to write and share your journey with us.

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, Hi - this is Cathy in Tennessee. I JUST HAVE to tell you what came to me last evening!
I was lying in bed, with my grandson as he was watching his little programs on t.v. My mind was wandering and I was in semi-prayer, etc. (You know the feeling, I'm sure.) Lo and behold, to my MIND (?)came a clear picture - as clear as day - of you presenting the introduction to a movie on the lives of you and your beloved!!!!! It made me sit up in bed and WONDER..."WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?" Milton, this may mean nothing, or it MAY MEAN SOMETHING.....well, it was almost like a "vision" - I am still in awe over this, and don't know what to think of it.

I just had to share this with you.

God bless you.

Cathy

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

Milton - I'm so glad that you're continuing to write and I think you'll be finishing up Kristy's books as a co-writer. Just my opin, I don't think it's a word from God or anything. Will the books be different than if Kristy penned them from beginning to end? Of course, but they will be exactly as God planned them to be. Will they be different than the books you will someday pen on your own? Of course. They will be a collaborative effort, and as with everything Kristy and you, God will be in it. Blessings,

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy: This is amazing. It will be thrilling to see how God will work. There are so many dreams of the heart that He has given and will fulfill. Even though my heart is breaking, I know He is at work.

All your comments are so encouraging.

Milton

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been thinking for months now that if you write a book about yours and Kristy's experience through this, a perfect title of the book would be:

"Milton, here for Kristy"

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Milton...
Each day expresses your heart, soul, mind and spirit!
It is good.

Twinkies...?
No..one is going to stop you there!
They taste too good @ 2AM...I'm quite sure!

I agree w/ anonymous above....
the title of your first book...
"Milton, here for Kristy"

How perfect! Just the way it truly is in your life!
Most grieving processes take 2-5 years..
...only God knows your timeline.

However...
Don't ever quit speaking from your heart about Kristy ever!!!!!

She comes through in your writings to us...loud and clear...and we need it!

Thanks again for being transparent!
God Bless You and Keep You...
South Carolina

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,

I too love the title! Please do use it. Today is the 4th anniversary of a dear friend of mine and as I read your post today, I am reminded how i felt in 2004. There were so many things that reminded me of my dear friend, she taught my daughter music and so many songs reminded us of this special woman.

I have been checking up on you and praying for you and your family for many months. Please continue your blog about your life with Kristy.

Because everyone wants to hear a true love story.

Beth
FCRW

 
At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, OHHHHH - the title is soooo perfect that was suggested!
It could even be the title of a movie, or a made for t.v. movie!
Just the beginning, my friend - just the beginning! You know, as do I, that prayer changes things. I can also add that TIME softens things. It sort of rounds out the corners of the square box that we feel we are living in sometimes. Then, one day the box may become a circle.. perfectly formed, like clay on the Potter's Wheel! You inspire us to appreciate the little things in life....everyday!
I can feel God working...and He's just sooooo GOOD!

Hang on...it's just a little while!
Cathy (TN)

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro. Dykes, I am so glad you are still sharing your story and pray you will continue to do so. Your story and your beautiful Kristy has touched so many people.

I am an elementary teacher in Tuscaloosa and this past Monday a former student stopped me in the hall for a hug. I looked down at this precious child who has faced many obstacles in her young life; I told her how beautiful she looked and how the color she was wearing really suited her. The color? You guessed it, Kristy's signature color, of course my mind went to thoughts of you and your beloved. So keep writing, there are many who are still changing and growing because of the "Dykes".

Teresa from Alabama

 

Post a Comment

<< Home