Sunday, September 21, 2008

TRAVELING NORTH ON I-75

Milton, here for Kristy:

Traveling North on I-75 from Tampa brought back lots of memories. Kristy and I traveled up and down I-75 for 37 years together going to all kinds of events, appointments, vacations, family gatherings, speaking engagements, and just going somewhere. 

I remember the first time we drove north on I-75 together was the summer of '71 after my graduation and before our wedding. It was yesterday, wasn't it? How could 37 years pass so quickly? We were heading to Anniston, AL for Kristy to see my parents and home church before our wedding that August.

I don't know why but I have one special memory of her driving a some to give me a break. I did most of the driving on all our trips these 37 years even if the trip was 10-12 hours, but this one particular time before our wedding she drove for an hour or so as we headed up the interstate.

Sitting next to her and then getting close to her as we drove north on I-75 in that old un-airconditioned Ford Fairlane I dreamed of our marriage to be and what our lives would hold. My dreams and our life together exceeded anything I ever imagined. I remember specifically thinking how blessed I was to get a gorgeous redhead like Kristy. I just didn't know how blessed my life would be by this beautiful woman. 

Now I know. 

Traveling North on I-75 all alone puts life in perspective.  

***

Julie, Alex, Nic and I kayaked two hours Saturday before I headed north from Tampa to Jacksonville. Those little guys are loads of fun and I am so very proud and thankful to the Lord for Julie.

3 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though you felt alone traveling north on I-75, Milton, I believe Kristy was in the car with you. Jesus, too! I pray the Lord gives you a dream or vision of just how close Kristy still is to you.

What a blessed marriage you had, and blessed children and grandchildren!

God's abundant blessings on all of you.

 
At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean....
and 37 years seem like a dream to me too. Life really is a vapor....but you and Kristy used your years well!

 
At 3:14 AM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

My husband and I share many traveling memories. I can relate to this description. Now, you have to be strong and continue to travel along your journey in life.
Barb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home