Wednesday, September 24, 2008

KRISTY WOULD BE PROUD OF ME

Milton, here for Kristy:

There is no telling how many eating events Kristy and I hosted through the years. It would be into the thousands I am quite sure. My gal knew how to make it happen, and make it happen with pizzazz. She knew how to put the extra touch on a common meal and make it shine. 

So, why would she be so proud of me today?Well, believe it or not I hosted my first ever eating event without Kristy. Tuesday night I had the staff over for a cookout, fellowship, and singing. My secretary helped work out the menu and off to the grocery store I ran Tuesday afternoon and prepared for 15 people. 

The house was already clean, not spotless like Kristy would have it, but it was clean and ready for guests. So guess who guided that for me?Well, Kristy, that's who. I helped her all these years get the house ready to entertain so my mind just followed her cues to make sure the event came off as good as a helpless guy can do it. I got a dessert, and baked beans, and Cole slaw, 
appetizers, and drinks, and hamburger meat, and buns, and the right condiments. 

Thirty minuets before they all arrived I was ready and sitting in my recliner waiting for them. Can you believe it? Now it wasn't a gourmet meal, but it was a meal and everyone seemed to have a good time.

It was obvious that someone was missing. Every gathering will have that feel. How could it not feel that someone was missing? But she wanted me to go forward in life and life is today. 

I am not denying the grieving process. It is real and grieving will happen when there is true love and sharp separation. The grieving process is more than I can bear sometimes. It is overwhelming. It is beyond human understanding. But I am not grieving without hope or alone for that matter. 

I feel the prayers of people I have never met as well as the prayers of those so dear and close. I am not alone. Jesus is walking with me.

I suspect Jesus was proud of my hamburger effort. You have to start somewhere in this cooking business. I am learning out of self defense what all those kitchen drawers hold and where all those trays, and pots, and dishes are placed. There is more to a kitchen than I ever dreamed. Why can't my kitchen just continue to be a hallway like I have always known it to be? I guess the answer is really easy. It is cook or starve! 

I think I will eat out tomorrow. This is just too overwhelming. Maybe I can cook one meal every three days? Maybe I can't. We will see.

Now, let's go eat a Twinkie and celebrate success.

17 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an amazing story! You really do deserve Twinkies for accomplishing such a feat. My dear hubby is one of those guys who puts a pot on the stove, turns it on, and walks away. FAR away. When I leave the house, I have to remind him not to turn on the stove. He is a master with a microwave, though. Congrats on being a competent host!

 
At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU GO BIG BROTHER!!
smiles,
janet

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SECONDS TO THAT!!! Love you, Darlene & Max

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! :) :)


Lisa

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you admit, Milton, that while the house was clean, it wasn't spotless, like Kristy would have it. :)

A real man knows his limitations. :)

Blessings on the burgers!

Eva Marie

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for you! Congratulations! The most important thing about having people in your home is the hospitality. You can serve hamburgers on paper plates or you can serve a gourmet meal on fine china, but just be warm and welcoming and hospitable. The photos prove that you succeeded!

Rejoicing with you today,
april (reece) gordon

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Just Me said...

Milton!!! I'm so proud of you! Congratulations!

What a big step for you to take and I'm absolutely sure that Kristy and Jesus are proud of you!

Your faith and testimony is astounding. God bless you today, Brother!

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In defense of us guys, we can do we have to do! I agree I am spoiled. Our daughters (3) tell their friends, "Mom, spoiled Dad."
And now they are spoiling their husbands. Milton, I can't even imagine the emptiness you face everywhere you go. (home, church, riding in car, walking the neighbor, etc.) Keep walking, standing straight and tall for we are on the winning side. How BIG is GOD! BIGG ENOUGH!!!!

How about The Crimson Tide?

Gary

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU DID IT WELL !
Bravo!!!!

Guess what? Next time it will get a little easier...

but you will always miss "Kristy"
...and that's alright...she IS the love of your life!

Keep writing...it' very good!

Love and Prayers...
Steve and Darlene
West Columbia, SC

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Great job, Milton!

I am so happy to hear that you had friends over and prepared a meal. Way to go! Krsity would be very proud of you for showing love and hospitality like this!

Blessings,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember an entry in a church cookbook you made years ago that consisted of a wonderful breakfast called cereal. I still have that cookbook. Nice to know you have expanded your horizons. Good Job!! When do we get an invitation to taste your gourmet cooking?
Love ya,
Tricia

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

Congrats, what a major step. As you expand your horizons, there are resources such as cook books for beginners, but these can be daunting too. If you have a Publix close by, they often have cooking demos that come complete with recipes (easy to follow) and generally all the ingredients are stored right by the booth (for that week's selection). You can even watch them cook it. Before we know it, we'll be calling you Milton, the gourmet chef.
Prayers continuing for you all.
Blessings,

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! Way to go, Son! A chip off the 'ole block'. After all I taught your Mother how to cook. ;-) Now she is a great cook!!

Love ya,

Dad

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Milton!

Beth

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Nana's Thoughts said...

I am so proud of you and your staff for being brave enough to come be your first dinner guests!!!

I can imagine the laughter and fellowship that filled your home--I bet Mike played some mean piano too!

In five days you will be 59 and I won't!!!!!

Love,

Sis

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Milton! That's what I'm talkin' about....having the staff over and cooking! I am amazed at how far you are coming! I want you to really knock 'em dead next time!
Like, when Tricia and the family comes for dinner. I have a killer recipe for Chicken/Broccoli/Rice casserole. I serve it with a green salad and bread sticks! It's soooo easy, and my whole family just loves it! You don't even have to cook the rice before adding it to the mixture! I'll give it to you if you want it!
A 5th grader could do it! ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER??????

Proud of you....It's a GOD THING!
Cathy

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, can you post Cathy's recipe for chicken/broccoli/rice, I need that for a big dinner on Sunday! Thanks much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home