Thursday, September 25, 2008

MY BEST CHEERLEADER

Milton, here for Kristy:

A preacher needs a cheerleader--his own personal cheerleader. He needs someone to be in his corner. 

I had one for 37 years. Kristy never let me preach without finding something good to say about my sermon. She would come up to me after we gotten home and more often than not she had a  compliment for me that made me feel my efforts at preaching were not too bad.

Preaching is both rewarding and draining. Sometimes a preacher really feels he has rung the bell, but there are many times it may seem that the bell rung the preacher. There have been times that I thought the bell fell on me.

I had one lady tell me years ago that my just completed sermon was the best sermon she had ever heard in her life. The next day a deacon told me that he heard someone say that same sermon I had just preached was the worst sermon they had ever heard.

Go figure?

Kristy knew that my ego was fragile like most men's egos are fragile. That is why most men are so defensive about the least little criticism or suggestion. The big men are really little boys in grown bodies. Their egos can't handle the critisim or help very well most of the time.

Anyway, Kristy knew what her man needed and she found a way to build my confidence through her encouragement that did not make her a big liar in how she complimented me. To be honest, I wouldn't care if she did fib a little just to boost my spirits. How is that for a transparent confession?

I am writing this after just returning from our midweek prayer service where I spoke. Tonight was the first time I have spoken in this service in several months. I have had such faithful help to carry me through this time, but tonight I waxed part of an elephant. (That is preacher talk for not doing too bad a job.)

I could see Kristy sitting there on the first row. Of course, she wasn't there. She is in heaven. It just felt like she was there.

She is one of the great cloud of witnesses cheering us on. 

She was cheering most for me.

9 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger RR Mama said...

God bless you Milton! I am still praying for you and your family.

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well...well...well...
You need a compliment on your sermon...last night...don't you?

If Kristy was there on the front row...and she might well have been...
here's a pretty good guess at what she would have said to you...

"...you illustrated your thoughts really well tonight...and...I am proud of you! Would you like a snack? Let's have a slice of pie."

You see...Milton...
...we pastor's wives stick together...and Kristy would want us to keep you encouraged... right now in her absence!

Didn't get to hear my husband speak last night...he was in Alabama visiting his parents...
he heard an 'ole friend' teach his Bible Study last evening! It was good! You preachers...pray and seek the Lord...and you always do a good job...even if you think you didn't...His Word does not return void when we give Him our voice.

Bless You!
You are making Kristy very proud!
You are her Hero!

We appreciate you...
Steve & Darlene Allen
West Columbia, SC

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

I am certain that Kristy is still cheering you on, but I think I also hear a "well done" from Daddy God.

I'm glad Kristy was an encourager. I've never been a pastor's wife, but I do know that pastors get plenty of input on their sermons, not all of it encouraging. So I'm certain that you have had plenty of people to keep you 'balanced'. I'm praying that most of all, you'll be able to hear the encouragement of the Holy Spirit.
Blessings,

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton: So glad to hear about Wednesday night service! Great job you're doing out there! God is truly blessing you!

Now, for your first casserole recipe - remember, a 5th grader can do this! LOL!

CHICKEN-BROCCOLI-RICE CASSEROLE

3-4 Chicken Breasts(boil & debone) Cut into bite size pieces.
2 (10 oz.) pkg. chopped broccoli(thaw out)
2 Cups Minute Rice (don't cook)
2 Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 8 oz. jar Cheez Whiz
1 Stick butter (melted)
1 onion chopped (finely)
1 jar sliced mushrooms (drained)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

In a large bowl, you should combine the thawed pkg's of broccoli, the non-cooked minute rice,
both mushroom soups, cheeze whiz, melted butter, chopped onion,mushrooms,garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir together really well. Last: Stir in the chunks of chicken until coated well.
Prepare a large, oblong pyrex baking dish by spraying with pam (or coating with butter). Pour the entire mixture into the prepared dish, smoothing out evenly.Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Yields 10 nice size servings. I suggest: Serve with large tossed salad and garlic bread sticks (the frozen ones are what I use - very good.)I've added boiled corn on the cob, when having a large group.

So, there you have it Mr. Milton...
you are ready for your first "gourmet" dinner - straight from the hills of Tennessee! Ha!
Let us know when you cook it - I'm anxious to hear.

Blessings are sent your way today... Cathy

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Cathy, I will make it a point to try this and see how my culinary arts will flourish! Maybe I will not poison myself. We'll see.

Milton

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

As the daughter of a preacher, I understand completely.

I've been MIA awhile. Out of town, and Hurricane Ike left us without power, as well. Just got power today but praising God all is well.

The bicycle story had me laughing.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

Oops... congrats on your cooking spree. I've said it before... cooking is not hard if you just follow the recipe.

We're proud of you!

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I continue to pray and think of you, Milton. I know that Ps. 55:22 will continue to hold true for you.

Your sister in Christ,
Stacie Ruth

 
At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,
I have never heard you preach in person, but if your writings are any indication of how good you are, then you are the best preacher out there. You have a gift. You speak from your heart & from God's word, and add some humor. What more could any of us want? I am going to try to come and hear you for myself in person, soon.... I feel that we are so close to the end as we know it, when God is going to call his church. Since I do not attend any church right now, and I know I need to, why not come to someone I already feel comfortable with.

Thank you for you words!!!!

May God continue to bless you as you travel THRU this journey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home