Sunday, November 02, 2008

DOES JESUS LOVE FOOTBALL?

Milton, here for Kristy:

Jacksonville is a great football town. I love it! Florida  played Georgia at Jacksonville Memorial Stadium on Saturday, and on Sunday our Jags play in Cincinnati. Alabama beat Arkansas State a ton to go 9-0. It's football across the land.

Kristy tolerated my love for football. Sometimes she tolerated it well and sometimes not so well. I guess that is the way it is in a lot of households across America. I am not a couch potato, but I like a good ole chin, bone jarring game.

I grew up during the heyday of Bear Bryant and his great Alabama teams. Every Sunday afternoon I would watch a replay of Alabama's previous game on Sunday which always was a win. Shug Jordan had a good football program for Auburn and I rooted for Auburn until Alabama played Auburn. Then it was all Alabama. On his Sunday afternoon replay, Bear would say "Bingo, that's a goody", or "that boy sure has some good parents." 

So does Jesus go to football games? Do you think he likes football? Do you think he cares at all about the old pigskin game? I'm sure that Jesus and Bear Bryant have met and they must have talked about the game. 

I know that many football players pray and give glory to God for helping them on the gridiron. Florida's quarterback Tim Tibow is a dedicated Christian and shares his faith unashamedly. I really admire him for that even though I am not a Gator by a long stretch. Well, maybe I'm just talkin' about something that really doesn't matter except to die hard football fans. One more try: Jesus cares about every aspect of our lives so He must care about football. Well........

What does football have to do with this blog? Not much except I love football and I am writing this blog. 

Yea Alabama. Roll Tide! Bama all the way!

4 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roll Tide Pastor Dykes!

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rollllllllllll, Tide, Rollllllllllllllll! He rejoices over us singing and I think the song is Sweet Home Alabama. (And I am a woman!)

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger No Name said...

I’m a faithful reader of this blog, although I rarely comment. You and Kristy have been a blessing in my life. And I appreciate your continued honesty. Thank you so much for being real in this blog.

So why did I comment now? Football. I’m sorry. I’ve never understood football. Yes, I get the enthusiasm. No, I don’t get the game despite earnest study. But I figure I don’t have to understand. What I really like are the halftime snacks.

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Gators...that is until they play the Gamecocks!

Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home