Wednesday, June 25, 2008

LITTLE HANDS IN A LOVING HAND

Milton, here for Kristy:

Today was a mixed day here at our house. Kristy was able to enjoy being with us in our family room. She loves it when she can get out of our bedroom. It was great fun. She sang along with me as we watched a DVD.

Then the boys came in with Julie and we all laughed and had a big time together.

Yet, it was a hard day too.

Julie and her boys had to head back to Tampa late Tuesday afternoon. They have been here a couple of weeks and it has been so much fun for all of us. Kristy loves having the grands all around her.

Alex took leaving real hard. He begged not to go. He didn't want to leave not knowing if he would see his Nana again. I talked with him about it, but I said I wouldn't lie to him. I couldn't promise Nana would be here when he returned, but I could promise we would see her and all our loved ones in heaven if Jesus is in our hearts. I told him that heaven is real and we will all be there one day. That is comforting to an eight year old just as much as an adult.

Julie got her boys next to their Nana and took a black marker and drew her hand imprint twice. Then she took the boys individually and drew their own hand imprints inside Kristy's larger hand. Then Kristy kissed both imprints so they could have her kisses with them forever.

That helped them, though it was tough for me to watch.

We have laughed as you all know, but we have cried too. Today was mixed with tears and laughter.
***

Yesterday Jennifer took Claudia and Lorenzo with her to Target. Claudia begged and begged for her mommy to buy her something. Jennifer had told her going into the store that today they were not buying anything for her or Lorenzo.

Finally, Claudia looks up at her mom in a sassy and very articulate way for a four year old and says, "Well, I'm just going to whine until you buy me something."

Jennifer looked down at her and said holding her laughter in, "Claudia, it doesn't work that way."

Claudia responded, "OK."

If that lesson could only be a one step plan, wouldn't Claudia be a happier little girl?

9 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

What a wonderful way to say goodbye with their little handprints and a promise of meeting again in heaven. Reminds me of a devotional I wrote titled "Reunited" for MustardSeed Ministries. It's in the archives, not far down, wasn't long ago, if you click on devotionals. When children lose someone they love at such a tender age, I feel being honest with them and explaining about heaven is the best. I lost my dad when I was four years old on Christmas Day. I remember my mom telling me I'd see him again one day in heaven, and she'd sing a song about a little girl whose daddy had gone to heaven and was waiting for her. Perhaps you and the grands can make one up about Kristy, or write poems. I find writing helps during a loss. At least, it helped me. May God bless all of you. Still praying for your family and for Kristy.
Barb

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to remember the double handprint idea always. I'm sure that I'll use it with my grands someday.
What a beautiful blessing Kristy gave to Julie's boys. Each day with her has sealed memories in their hearts forever.

I'm reminded that God stores all our tears in his "bottle"--nothing goes unnoticed. What a compassionate Father, to keep the sun, moon, and stars in place and yet notice teardrops, too. How completely he loves us!

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me want to cry and laugh.
I lost my precious Godly grandmother at age 92 and I was 48 and it was so hard, I can't imagine what the precious grands are going through as well as the rest of you. Grandparents are such a treasure, and I believe Kristy far exceeds that description.

The handprint was a very creative idea and one that will bring comfort to all.

Continued prayers,
Teresa from AL

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

The idea of the hand print with kisses is precious! I will remember that for the future. I am sure there will be a time we can use that to help someone who must say goodbye for a while.

Honest tears from a heart filled with love are a treasure.

The Lord brings you all to mind several times a day, and I continue to pray that He will pour out His comfort and grace to meet each need.

Thanks so much for updating us and allowing us to share this journey with you. Please give Kristy a hug from me and all her ACFW friends who are praying for her. We love her! We are blessed and encouraged to see the way you so lovingly care for her.

Love and prayers,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Ava Tanner said...

Bro. Dykes and Kristy:

I loved the beautiful story you shared about Julie's son
Alex. When I read your stories, so many memories from my past flood back to me from when my own mom was ill.

What a great way of helping him be able to carry both her hand print and his own hand print inside along with some wonderful kisses. He will never forget these times nor the love she has given to him.

As I write this, I am being loved by my own 11 year old granddaughter. Love flows from her as I am sure it does from your own beautiful grands.

My the Lord above give you strength and peace during these very difficult times.

God bless.

Ava Tanner

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton & Kristy:

We are continuing to pray for you both. We know God is with you and always will be to see you through.

We love you,

Randal, Barbara & Lauren Ray

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,
Nothing about this journey of yours is easy. Explaining to our grandchildren about life, death and the hereafter is exhausting in that we want to shelter them from hurt and pain. We don't want them to feel what we're having to feel, or deal with the bigger picture. We want them to think of life filled with all joy and excitement. I admire you and Julie for working so diligently to see that the children are able to cope with Nana's illness. I know you're weary and heavyladen. I pray that God will lift you up, higher and higher. Kristy is amazing. She shines, even in the darkest of circumstances. The "skirt" episode where she got so tickled just slayed me! She is the cutest thing, with such darling ways! No wonder you fell head over heals in love with her, Milton! God truly placed the two of you in the right place at the right time! You were meant to be!

I'm still praying for all of you. God STILL ANSWERS PRAYER!!!!!

Love and Blessings,
Cathy (Tennessee)
<><

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Grandchildren are so delightful. What a precious memory. My heart aches for you and Kristy, Milton, for the tearful times. Isn't it wonderful to know one day, the Lord will show you a bottle with them all in it, as you and Kristy dance all over Heaven for eternity?

I wonder if gold is easier to dance on than hardwood?

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, Kristy, Julie and Jennifer, You are all in my prayers daily. I check in here often and am truly amazed at the way God's sustaining strength is with all of you. Milton, that you continue to post on this blog per Kristy's request, is in itself a testiment of God's strength being manifested. We love you all dearly. Julie, I love the hand print idea and like others here have said, I will use it myself in the future I'm sure. We are also praying for the little ones. Being a new grandmother myself, I can just imagine the pain you and Kristy are feeling for what they are going through right now.
Just wanted to touch base and let you all know again how much we love you and are praying for each one of you.
I too loved the skirt thing. I had a true belly laugh...tell Kristy thanks for me. I sure needed it...love and prayers, Cousin Jeri

 

Post a Comment

<< Home