Wednesday, June 25, 2008

WOULD YOU STAY TRUE? IF...?

Milton, here for Kristy:

I don't usually post twice each day, but I have just been reading some of Kristy's past posts. The following is more surreal than you could ever imagine. Never in my wildest imagination could I dream of facing a scenario as Kristy wrote about in September 7, 2006.

I can tell you that because we have lived a marriage of love, the answer to the following question is easy for me to answer.

What would your answer be?

***

Kristy, here from September 7, 2006:

I'd like to put the question to you again: "Would you stay true to your spouse if s/he became debilitated?"I can quickly think of a couple of public examples of this scenario.

The first one that comes to mind is Christopher Reeve and his wife. An actor, he had an accident while filming a movie and was left a quadraplegic. From all reports, his wife stayed true to him. I can still see images in my mind of her bent over him or stooping beside him for press pictures. The word "doting" often came to mind when I saw them.

The second public example is the Terry Schiavo case. That was publicized so much, I'm sure everyone knows about it. Michael, the husband, while his wife lay comatose for years, had a wife-in-action-only and even some kids.

What would you do? Since this is such a weighty subject, here's something light: Has your marriage become more of a partnership than an intimate relationship, with the focus on car pools and bills instead of cuddling and bonding?

Don't feel bad--it happens to even the best marriages, says Jennifer Louden, author of The Couples' Comfort Book. "When couples don't pay attention to each other, the relationship gets stale," she says. Her advice for getting back on track?"Kiss for at least 20 seconds twice a day." Louden says. "So many couples get into a pecking rut and forget how wonderful it can be to make out with each other."K:

In our home, we instituted a "rule:" whenever the first one leaves in the morning, s/he goes and finds the other one and gives him/her a 20-second kiss. Whenever the second one arrives home in the afternoon, s/he goes and finds the other one and gives him/her a 20-second kiss.

Try it. It's great.

4 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger A Romantic Porch said...

I'm praying for you and your family. Sincerely, Rachel Going

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

For better or worse... that's what I signed up for the day I said, "I do." I can't imagine it being any other way.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Marriage is a commitment for as long as you live. I would indeed stay.

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

I believe I would do what I would want my mate to do--stay by my side. No greater love than laying your life down for a friend or mate. Anything I would miss in this life would be more than made up for in the next. Same for him, of course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home