Wednesday, October 15, 2008

KRISTY WOULD BE PROUD!

Milton, here for Kristy:

I did it! I did it!

I'm batting two for two and that is a 1000. Last night I had my second dinner gathering at my house--I mean only the second one ever. My guests were John and Irma and Mary and Al, two neighbor couples who have been so kind to me and my family during Kristy's illness. They left last night saying that I did "OK" after grilling steaks, baking potatoes, cooking green beans, making a salad and offering up dessert.

The weather was lovely for outside grilling. This is a really nice time of the year in Jacksonville right now. We have 1 and 1/2 seasons here and we're getting to the 1 and 1/4 mark right now.

Here is a grilling tip from an expert. I am batting 1,000. Doesn't that make me an expert?

Did you know that one way to speed up coals burning on a grill is to use a leaf blower to fire up the coals? All you do is crank it up and point it at the burning coals and boy does the fire get hotter faster. Now that takes some really smart engineering to come up with that one. That kind of idea comes from a guy who would grill steaks on a cookie sheet. I did that one time and didn't impress Kristy at all with a ruined cookie sheet. She was gone on a trip and that is how I made do alone without her. I think I am doing a little better now. At least I didn't cook the steaks on a cookie sheet last night.

But, no kidding, a gas blower really fires up those coals quicker if you are in a hurry. Don't laugh. I am a well educated single guy who has to make up short falls any way I can.

The evening was a success as I figure it. Life goes better when you have friendly neighbors and one way to have friendly neighbors is to be friendly.

What was for dessert? I offered up a choice of key lime pie, Blue Bell ice cream, or chocolate chip cookies.

We talked about Kristy, life, and funny stuff at church.

Life has changed for me. I choose to go forward by God's grace.

7 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

Good job Milton! I am sure she would be very proud.

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,

That is one for the "You might be a Red Neck" Column. Hee Hee.

Great Job!!!!!

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Milton,
This is fantastic! Kristy WOULD be so proud of you!! I know you are a blessing every day to everyone who comes to this blog!

Thank you for your faithfulness. Praying for your continued strength and heart-healing.

Kim

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray that Kristy left you her recipe book with detailed instructions! A leaf blower?? Well if it worked!

Hugs,
Cheryl

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Hey Dad! I'm so proud of you. Many in your situation wouldn't have the courage to do as you've done. I KNOW mom would be proud, she wanted so badly that you would be ok and not fall into a deep black hole. I know she is looking down on us and cheering us on and each time we do well she smiles. I can see that smile on her face in my mind's eye. I can just see her turning to Jesus and saying "Can you believe he's entertaining!" I love you a bunch! Love, Jennifer

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

Like Jennifer, we're all very proud of you, Milton, and the leaf blower is a bit of genius... I guess. You are an encouragement to all who read this blog.

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Job!

I'm ordering a leaf-blower for my husband tonight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home