Friday, November 21, 2008

63 YEARS IS A LONG TIME! OOP'S, IT'S 64

Milton, here for Kristy:

I need to make a correction on the number of years of my parent's marriage. It is 64 not 63 as I first wrote. Have you ever made that kind of mistake on ages or anniversaries? If you're perfect, then you won't understand, you're just proud. HA!

Mom and Dad celebrated their 64th wedding anniversary this week. That is a lot of laughin', lovin', and livin', and maybe a couple of disagreements too. I am taking them out for lunch today to celebrate their anniversary. They certainly deserve some celebration. I have very thankful for godly parents who have set good example of commitment and faithfulness.

I wouldn't be here without them. Mom led me to a saving knowledge of Jesus as my Lord, and Dad helped keep me saved. Do you know how he did it? My siblings all know how he did it, but I got "did" more than all of them. I know that is not very good English, but my siblings all know what it means.

All of their married lives have been spent as ministers of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and as well as in the loving care of their five wonderful children. All of their children are making a difference and love Mom and Dad dearly. They have touched countless thousands of lives all these years for Christ.

Thursday night I attended a sing-a-long in the retirement center where Mom and Dad live. A group of the seniors get together once a month to sing hymns and choruses which Dad leads and Mom plays the piano. They do a super job leading the group and all of the seniors really get a kick out of Dad's jokes and humor.

One elderly man shared about the recent loss of his wife--just four months back at about the same time Kristy died. He told of how God answered prayer for him and was helping him. I know how he feels.


We sang for an hour or so songs about heaven, God's love, America, and worship. There is something very special about getting together with people who love God and want to sing praises to Him.

I left very touched and blessed and praying that God would visit our younger generation with a fresh passion to worship like these seniors did.

7 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

Well a big warm fuzzy congrats to them!!!! That's wonderful : )

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your parents on this special anniversary. I have always loved and admired them. You have a wonderful family, Milton - truly blessed of the Lord. God bless you all.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Ann Closs said...

we're thinking about you today. tell your parents congrats for us!

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MIlton...
You and your siblings are very blessed! Brother Dykes...is a very special email friend these days...I share alot of "Fun Items" with him and your Mama, Louise. Looking at him leading the song...
her playing the piano...
BEAUTIFUL !!!
Congratulations to you all!
64 years is a very special number of Anniversary Years!!!
God Bless You All...

You are in our continual prayers...
May the fruit of your labor...
Giving to your Seniors...
Bring you Thanks in a very special way!
Steve and Darlene
South Carolina

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

What a sweet message. I loved hearing about your parents and their love for the Lord. How wonderful that they continue to served him through loving their family and leading others in worship, and I am sure in many other ways as well.

Blessings from,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger B. J. Brooks said...

I lost another writer friend Wednesday night with a brain tumor, Lavada Haupt. She came to Kristy's viewing with me and my husband.
Kristy critiqued some of Lavada's work and like myself thought Lavada was an excellent writer. She had one book published but at least 4 in progress.

I know God is in control and knows better than I why now and why Lavada or why Kristy.

I hope they are sharing writing tips in Heaven.

Many Blessings
B.J. Brooks
(Robinson)

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger just me said...

Sharing about your parents reminds me of Proverbs 20 v 7.

64 years , wow! Heartiest congrats to them! Praying for God's 'abundant life' on them more and more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home