Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A PREACHING BLOOPER

Milton, here for Kristy:

I have said a few dumb things through the years while preaching that I would have liked to be able to put back into my mouth right after they were uttered. Every preacher will do that from time to time. Sunday I did it again.

I was preaching my sermon entitled, "Catch a Glimpse of Heaven" and in the process was sharing about things that need frequent attention in this world. I noted things in the home that required constant care that in past times before Kristy passed didn't even cross my mind. Now they do cross my mind because it is up to me alone to take care of everything. She made the bed with some help from me if I hadn't left home early. House cleaning is now my total responsibility as is cooking too. 

Well, in sharing all that I said, "Well, I think I will take some applications for a cook." It was too late to put it back into my mouth. I immediately said I didn't mean that and then tried to move on to the next point. But, there it was. It had been said.

First, I am not taking cooking applications. It would have been better to have been preaching manuscript style Sunday for it would have saved that gaffe. 

Second, preachers say some dumb stuff from time to time even thought I honestly believe God does speak through them or us, but that wasn't God, it was me. I blew it.

I'm probably compounding the problem by just writing about this mistake even now, but it was a funny, honest blooper. I guess it is something else to laugh about in all this amazing journey.

Preachers are human. I was very human Sunday.

8 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As busy as Greg and I get, I'd like to take applications for a cook and housekeeper myself.

We all think about how nice it would be to have someone else to help us get everything done. It's more a comment on the busy lives we live and feel pressured to live.

We like it that you're human. It helps us identify with you very strongly.

Becky

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

I agree with Becky. And I think it just reflects how much you miss her and everything she did.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

Many, many people can identify and although I'm certain that there are many women who would like to apply, they also understand that it was a slip and you aren't serious. Now a housekeeper might be a different story. :) It's a lot to do all by yourself, that's why marriage is a partnership. And yes, preachers are human, just like the rest of us. Thank God, he's the only God. Just watch out for the mail bag today... Still, I would have loved to have been there to see it.
Blessings,

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it... I don't see anything wrong with what you said.
There is a company in Jacksonville that will make & deliver gourmet meals to your door. Can't think of the name, but maybe you could call them every so often.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

We all make mistakes, because none of us are perfect. Barb

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Milton, Knowing what a good cook Kristy was, I think that was just a hungry man talking! Sometimes our subconscious sneaks out there and says what's in our minds ... or tummies in this case.
Kristy must be laughing right now because lots of us certainly laughed many times at her funny bloopers. Love you, Kathy

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Hi Milton, I am sure your people understood and you will not have a stamped to your door. : ) It reminds me to appreciate all that my husband does for me. Sharing the responsibilities does lighten the load. I will pray the Lord meets those needs and provides practical help for you.
Blessings,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Gayle said...

Oops. I predict a swarm of cassroles--ready or not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home