Friday, November 07, 2008

ONE YEAR AGO TODAY, OUR LIVES CHANGED...

Milton, here for Kristy:

One year ago today at 5:30 PM, Kristy was told at Mayo Clinic she had a malignant brain tumor which she understood would eventually take her life. We were both standing as the radiologist gave this initial report moments after an MRI.

Kristy never blinked, cried, moaned, or wailed. She stood as a cloud of peace covered her and a chair of strength was slide under her. I have personally never seen such faith and courage in all my life.

I stood in shock, disbelief, and question.

The radiologist and nurses told Kristy they had never, ever seen anyone receive this news in the calm, collected, peaceful manner that she did. 

I wanted to go home. It was prayer meeting night at church and I told her someone else would lead the service. We briefly, gently argued back and forth with her insisting that we go on to church. I drove down the streets of Jacksonville barely aware of anything around me. Her world, my world, our world was turned upside down and hit with a major, life changing jolt.

She stood before our church with the most amazing, unbelievable calm and told them the news we had be given just an hour or so previously. Now the church was shocked. Tears went down cheeks. People sat frozen. Hearts were breaking. Some wept openly. Youth were in tears and we all were stunned.

Kristy stood with a peace that I have never seen in anyone. She stood with a bold, confident assurance that God would heal her here or heal her in heaven. She didn't flinch. She was a classy, spunky, courageous little redhead who let her light shine in the darkest hour of her and our lives.

I will never forget Nov. 7, 2007. It was a day that I saw faith--real faith that does not flinch. It began a journey of faith that ended in victory.

How did Kristy walk though the valley of the shadow of death?

She believed in Jesus, His love, and His promises.

She believed what she had always believed.

12 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I cried just thinking about it. Oh how I miss Her!!

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

she was an amazing woman and we will all remember her as that. we are praying for you during this time and always.
we love you!
howard, ann and adam

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Powerful words, Milton! What a glorious testimony to God's faithfulness!

Kim

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

Milton, I thought of Kristy last night, and remembered today would be the year mark of her diagnosis. Life takes such extreme twists and turns sometimes, but as you said, our faith in Jesus Christ remains firm, no matter what. We stand on the ROCK, and it doesn't move.

Thinking of you today, and of the girls and grands, and all those who were near and dear to Kristy's heart. Praying that peace surrounds you all.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy is a testament of her faith to the Lord. She will always be a reminder of her faithfulness to Him in the good and the bad times. He gave her strength and peace needed day by day.

The Lord also gave you the strength for the journey and He continues to do so as you share your heart with us.

Praying for you as you move on and heal during this time.

Thank you again for your honesty and transparency. I can't imagine that it's been easy.

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your journey together has made a deep dent in our world. You won't know the full picture until eternity, but I believe Kristy is already realizing it. She is cheering you on, just as you cheered her into heaven.

I am going through something devastating right now, and your post has lightened my burden today. So you see, Kristy's courage and the way she kept believing and trusting what she already knew has preached a sermon directly to me today! Praise God for the way he links us as believers and causes one person's life to spill into the next.

I appreciate your transparency, Milton. God bless you and guide your steps always!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I can't believe it's been a year and now she's gone.

I remember the night she called and told me about this nightmare called brain cancer. I'll never forget the feeling of someone I love so much just slip through my fingers. I couldn't stop what was going to happen, no matter how much I loved her, needed her or wanted her to stay with us.

She should still be with us. She should be planning the Decon/Board Christmas party. She's supposed to make ginger bread houses with the kids this christmas.

This was supposed to be the happiest of times, now our lives are forever bittersweet.

The only thing getting me through this day is a strong sense of His love and knowing she's with Him.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how hard that was and how she (and you) had the strength to go through each day.
But thankfully she is out of pain and suffering now.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger One Mother with Cancer said...

Milton,

I came across Kristy's blog just this past January (although I did go back and read several months from before)I have followed this journey ever since. Even printing off Tough Men and Tender Romance for my husband to read. You and Kristy both have touched my life more than you could ever know.

Yesterday I was given the news that most likey my Leukemia is back, I won't know until November 24th. Please keep my family in your prayers. I have four young children, and I would like to see them grow up.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Cari Quinn said...

Milton, I haven't visited in a while (I used to post under my full name, Carolynn) but I was moved to visit today. Now I know why. In the back of my mind, I remembered this day. Though I never knew her, Kristy still inspires me. And while I know I'll never be as strong or as at peace as she was, I'll keep trying.

Thank you so much for your continued posts. You and your family remain in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton...daughters...grands...and extended family...

I almost read your blog daily. It is extremely inspiring always. And today was a Blessed Exception!
As I read your perfectly written words from your heart, mind, and spirit...I then looked to the right of the column..and saw Kristy's picture.... LOOK........
She's ALL SMILES!!! Even her eyes seemed to 'twinkle' as I starred at them...and notice the beautiful GLOW on HER HEAD!!! .....THEN.....
Look again........................
written beautifully her descriptive words of gorgeous passionate expression:
Pizzazz! Enthusiasm!
...note...
only a few of the words that describe Kristy Dykes! TRUTH!!!
be known!!! They describe her now in her Heavenly Realm of Glory in the Eternal Home of Heaven! She is WEll. Her Battles are OVER!
...and her SMILE...tells the whole story...doesn't it? She's watching out for you!

...Also...

I believe that TWINKLE in her eyes is a reminder of the the future that she knew God has for you. She gave you permission to always love...
because she knew how special your love was...
I believe she's "wishing you well"!

God guided you to her...and God will guide you to your future...

I loved the "Measuring Stick" being your daughters...

I, too, believe they will be extremely valuable to your choice in a future mate.

Healing takes time...
and
time brings healing.

The Holy Spirit is at work on your behalf today and each day to come.
Be encouraged...
Be comforted...
Know that we all pray and we really care...

Steve and Darlene
South Carolina

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

Beautifully written, and I pray I will show such character, strength, and faith if I receive such news. Kristy has shown others how to deal with death and modeled for us how to walk through the valley of the shadow of death. God bless you. Barb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home