Wednesday, November 26, 2008

SURPRISING, SUBTLE ANGER

Milton, here for Kristy:

Anger has many forms and expressions. It is caused by the most unusual stimuli and has amazing consequences. Not all of the consequences of anger are bad.

This will be a shock to some, but when I was a boy I got angry over a couple of matters and actually punched my fist through a couple of walls. Once I was mad at my father for cutting the grass when I should have cut it, but I had procrastinated. He had health issues and didn't need to cut the grass. I was mad because I should have gotten it cut and he shouldn't have been cutting the grass. I don't remember what was the cause of the second hole in the wall.

That is the worst sinning I ever did over anger, though I have been angry before many times. The Bible says that you can be angry--just don't sin when you are angry. We can have anger over multitude of issues that can actually move us to do right things. For example, our anger at sin and Satan's lies can cause us to pray more and be bolder in sharing God's love.

Tuesday I had surprising, subtle anger creeping up into my spirit over the girls and grandkids and their loss, our loss, of Kristy as the holidays approach. I drove from Jacksonville to Tampa on Tuesday evening to be with Julie. She is having a minor medical procedure done and needed me to be with her. 

As I drove to her apartment in Tampa, I felt all kinds of emotions coming up inside me. I was mad that the girls and our family had to give Kristy up and would face Thanksgiving and Christmas without her. It hurt and it made me mad, angry, and wanting to find another wall to clobber. 

Don't worry. 

I learned long ago that putting your fist through a wall only makes for a repair bill and maybe a sore hand and knuckles. I also hope I am a little more mature now than I was when I was a teenager. I actually think I am more mature.

But Tuesday I was angry, and anger is OK. I will be angry, and I won't sin. I will use it for good. I will make new and wonderful memories with my girls and grands. I will remember the wonderful years, wipe some tears, and focus on my precious family that my redhead gave me. Anger will turn to higher good. All will not be lost.

God's grace will cover all our anger and filter out the hurt and pain. His love covers it all. He is sending me help. God's help will soothe the anger and let His love cover the pain.

7 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Blogger Missy said...

Thanks for a great lesson today... and for continuing to be so honest and open in your grief. My thoughts and prayers will be with your family during this Holiday season. I can only imagine how difficult it will be.

Thanks for touching so many lives with your words!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

Anger is one of the five stages of grief, and it is healthy... as long as you don't take out any walls out. :-)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. May God surround you with his peace.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Milton, please know I am asking God for a special blessing for your family in the coming weeks. You have been such a rich source of blessing for me, and I know God will pour Himself over you during this time of family get-togethers.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

Yes, as Gayle said, it's a normal part of grieving. Hope your family is safe and warm tomorrow.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Please greet all your family for me. You all are in my prayers as you gather for Thanksgiving. I am sure there will many happy times, but probably some tears too. It's wonderful that you can be honest about it and help each other through this next part of the journey.

Blessings from,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eph 4 v 26

Understandable to be angry because the hurting is still raw.

Just me

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well...actually....you were very mad at me and put your fist thru the wall since you could not hit me!!!

Sis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home